Elizabeth Moody Davenport, Ph.D., is Assistant Professor of Radiology and serves as the Technical Director for the Magnetoencephalography Center of Excellence at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She has a secondary the Advanced Imaging Research Center (AIRC), a tertiary appointment in the Department of Neurology, and is a member of its Radiology Research Division.
I enjoy working with the multidisciplinary team of world-renowned researchers and clinicians at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Davenport holds a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering from North Carolina State University in Raleigh, and earned her doctorate in biomedical engineering from Virginia Tech-Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She then received advanced training in clinical Magnetoencephalography (MEG) as a postdoctoral researcher at UT Southwestern in Joseph Maldjian's Advanced NeuroScience Imaging Research (ANSIR) Lab.
Dr. Davenport's research interests include subconcussive head impact exposure in contact sports, imaging of traumatic brain injury, imaging of Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias, and the use of magnetoencephalography (MEG) in imaging neuronal function. Her investigations have led to the publication of multiple original articles in peer-reviewed journals, and she has contributed to two book chapters.
She also holds a patent for developing a system that allows for rapid intraosseous delivery of fluids from a fluid reservoir via an intraosseous port having a tip disposed within a patient's bone marrow.
Dr. Davenport is an active member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, American Society of Neuroradiology, and the MEG Data Sharing Committee of the National Institutes of Health.
She also serves as an ad hoc reviewer for multiple academic journals.
Dr. Davenport enjoys using her research skills at home as well. She writes, and has been awarded, grants for a nonprofit canine rescue organization. Her passion for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education has led her to mentor future scientists and engineers in the First Lego League and other activities.
- North Carolina St Univ-Raleigh (2011), Biomedical Engineering
- Graduate School
- Va Polytech Ins St Univ (2015), Biomedical Engineering
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Magnetoencephalography (MEG)
- Subconcussive Head Impacts
- Brain Strain: Computational Model-Based Metrics for Head Impact Exposure and Injury Correlation.
- Miller LE, Urban JE, Davenport EM, Powers AK, Whitlow CT, Maldjian JA, Stitzel JD, Ann Biomed Eng 2020 Nov
- BrainNET: Inference of Brain Network Topology Using Machine Learning.
- Murugesan GK, Ganesh C, Nalawade S, Davenport EM, Wagner B, Kim WH, Maldjian JA, Brain Connect 2020 Oct 10 8 422-435
- Prevalence and Incidence of Microhemorrhages in Adolescent Football Players.
- Shah BR, Holcomb JM, Davenport EM, Lack CM, McDaniel JM, Imphean DM, Xi Y, Rosenbaum DA, Urban JE, Wagner BC, Powers AK, Whitlow CT, Stitzel JD, Maldjian JA, AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2020 Jul 41 7 1263-1268
- MEG Sensor Selection for Neural Speech Decoding.
- Dash D, Wisler A, Ferrari P, Davenport EM, Maldjian J, Wang J, IEEE Access 2020 8 182320-182337
- In-Season Variations in Head Impact Exposure among Youth Football Players.
- Urban JE, Kelley ME, Espeland MA, Davenport EM, Whitlow CT, Powers AK, Maldjian JA, Stitzel JD J. Neurotrauma 2018 Jun
- Microstructural correlates of 3D steady-state inhomogeneous magnetization transfer (ihMT) in the human brain white matter assessed by myelin water imaging and diffusion tensor imaging.
- Ercan E, Varma G, Mädler B, Dimitrov IE, Pinho MC, Xi Y, Wagner BC, Davenport EM, Maldjian JA, Alsop DC, Lenkinski RE, Vinogradov E Magn Reson Med 2018 Apr
- Applications of Resting State Functional MR Imaging to Traumatic Brain Injury.
- O'Neill TJ, Davenport EM, Murugesan G, Montillo A, Maldjian JA Neuroimaging Clin. N. Am. 2017 Nov 27 4 685-696
- Head Impact Exposure in Youth Football: Comparing Age- and Weight-Based Levels of Play.
- Kelley ME, Urban JE, Miller LE, Jones DA, Espeland MA, Davenport EM, Whitlow CT, Maldjian JA, Stitzel JD J. Neurotrauma 2017 Jun 34 11 1939-1947
- Abnormalities in Diffusional Kurtosis Metrics Related to Head Impact Exposure in a Season of High School Varsity Football.
- Davenport EM, Apkarian K, Whitlow CT, Urban JE, Jensen JH, Szuch E, Espeland MA, Jung Y, Rosenbaum DA, Gioia GA, Powers AK, Stitzel JD, Maldjian JA J. Neurotrauma 2016 Dec 33 23 2133-2146
- Subconcussive Head Impact Exposure and White Matter Tract Changes over a Single Season of Youth Football.
- Bahrami N, Sharma D, Rosenthal S, Davenport EM, Urban JE, Wagner B, Jung Y, Vaughan CG, Gioia GA, Stitzel JD, Whitlow CT, Maldjian JA Radiology 2016 Dec 281 3 919-926
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Presentation
American Society of Neuroradiology (2014)
- Outstanding Woman of the Year
North Carolina State University (2011)
- American Society of Neuroradiology (2016)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- MEG Data Sharing Committee of the National Institutes of Health