In addition to providing clinical care, Dr. Kuper directs a research program oriented around transgender and gender diverse health and development. Dr. Kuper strives to adopt an affirming, intersectional perspective that seeks to facilitate systemic change in the social and structural systems that the impact health and well-being of transgender and gender diverse youth and their families.
Dr. Kuper recently served as a co-author on the Nonbinary Chapter of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health’s Standards of Care Version 8 and is currently serving on the Task Force to update the American Psychological Association’s Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Transgender and Gender Diverse People.
- Gender identity development
- Multidisciplinary approaches to the provision of gender affirming care
- Supporting parents of gender diverse youth
- Transition of gender affirming care from pediatric to adult settings
- Body Dissatisfaction and Mental Health Outcomes of Youth on Gender-Affirming Hormone Therapy.
- Kuper LE, Stewart S, Preston S, Lau M, Lopez X, Pediatrics 2020 04 145 4
- Exploring the gender development histories of children and adolescents presenting for gender affirming medical care
- Kuper, L. E., Lindley, L., & Lopez, L. Clinical Practice in Pediatric Psychology 2019 3 7 217-228
- Gender identity development among transgender and gender nonconforming emerging adults: An intersectional approach
- Kuper, L. E., Wright, L, & Mustanski, B. 2018 4 19 436-455
- Exploring the diversity of gender and sexual orientation identities in an online sample of transgender individuals.
- Kuper LE, Nussbaum R, Mustanski B J Sex Res 2012 49 2-3 244-54
- Transition from Pediatric to Adult Care for Transgender Youth: A Qualitative Study of Patient, Parent, and Provider Perspectives.
- Pham T, García A, Tsai M, Lau M, Kuper LE, LGBT Health 2021 May-Jun 8 4 281-289
- Recognizing the Importance of Chest Surgery for Transmasculine Youth.
- Kuper LE, Rider GN, St Amand CM, Pediatrics 2021 03 147 3
- Exploring Cross-Sectional Predictors of Suicide Ideation, Attempt, and Risk in a Large Online Sample of Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Youth and Young Adults.
- Kuper LE, Adams N, Mustanski BS LGBT Health 2018 Oct 5 7 391-400
- "Is this normal? Is this not normal? There's no set example": Sexual Health Intervention Preferences of LGBT Youth in Romantic Relationships.
- Greene GJ, Fisher KA, Kuper L, Andrews R, Mustanski B, Sex Res Social Policy 2015 Mar 12 1 1-14
- Intimacy, monogamy, and condom problems drive unprotected sex among young men in serious relationships with other men: a mixed methods dyadic study.
- Greene GJ, Andrews R, Kuper L, Mustanski B, Arch Sex Behav 2014 Jan 43 1 73-87
- Stud identity among female-born youth of color: joint conceptualizations of gender variance and same-sex sexuality.
- Kuper LE, Wright L, Mustanski B J Homosex 2014 61 5 714-31
Transgender Mental Health. In Oxford Handbook of Sexual and Gender Minority Health
Kuper, L. E., Bismar, D., Ryan, W. (2020). Oxford University Press
- American Psychological Association (2019)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) (2016)