I am a driven analytical chemist with research interests and expertise toward the development and validation of analytical methods for mass spectrometry-based techniques. During my career I have been involved in several projects from distinct scientific disciplines, developing a strong background in metal speciation, proteomics, toxicology, nanotoxicology, and lipidomics. I have significant experience in several instrumental techniques such as LC-MS, GC-MS, GC-FID, MALDI-TOF/TOF-MS, QTOF-MS, ET-AAS, and F-AAS.
In 2015 I moved to the USA and became a researcher at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Here I have worked in the development of direct-infusion based MS/MSALL workflow for broad-scale lipids profiling of biological samples. This is a fast and robust high-throughput method to deliver the complete sample lipidome profile in 3 minutes. Moreover, dedicated software was developed for data processing and analysis. The automated front to back-end workflow allows users to easily obtain quality data, ranging from individual species to compositional information, fatty acid assignments, and profiling.
The lipidomics field has become crucial in the study of the biochemical mechanisms underlying lipid-related physiological and pathological processes. Developments of new MS instruments with higher resolution and sensitivity have largely fueled this discipline over the years. My research interests are the development and optimization of new sample preparation techniques and MS-based methods for lipidomic analysis.
- Graduate School
- University Nova Lisbea (2011), Biochemistry
- Advanced sample preparation techniques
- Mass Spectrometry
- Adsorption of cadmium on titanium dioxide nanoparticles in freshwater conditions ? A chemodynamic study
- G.Vale, C. Franco, A. Brunnert, M.M.C. Santos Electroanalysis 2015 27 2439-2447
- Bioavailability of cadmium and biochemical responses on the freshwater bivalve Corbicula fluminea--the role of TiO2 nanoparticles.
- Vale G, Franco C, Diniz MS, dos Santos MM, Domingos RF Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2014 Nov 109 161-8
- A mesofluidic platform integrating on-chip probe ultrasonication for multiple sample pretreatment involving denaturation, reduction, and digestion in protein identification assays by mass spectrometry.
- Nunes-Miranda JD, Núñez C, Santos HM, Vale G, Reboiro-Jato M, Fdez-Riverola F, Lodeiro C, Miró M, Capelo JL Analyst 2014 Mar 139 5 992-5
- Ultrasonic energy as a tool to overcome some drawbacks in the determination of lead in brain tissue and urine of rats.
- Guimarães D, Santos JP, Carvalho ML, Vale G, Santos HM, Geraldes V, Rocha I, Capelo JL Talanta 2011 Oct 86 442-6
- An assessment of the ultrasonic probe-based enhancement of protein cleavage with immobilized trypsin.
- Vale G, Santos HM, Carreira RJ, Fonseca L, Miró M, Cerdà V, Reboiro-Jato M, Capelo JL Proteomics 2011 Oct 11 19 3866-76
- Ultrasonic Assited Enzymatic Digestion ? USAED ? Accomplished to High Performance LiquidChromatography and Electrothermal Atomic Absorption Spectrometry as a Powerful Tool for Selenium Control in Se-enriched Food Supplements
- G.Vale, A.Rodrigues, A.Rocha, R.Rial,A.Mota, L.Fonseca, J.L.Capelo Food Chemistry 2010 121 268-274
- Overview on modern approaches to speed up protein identification workflows relying on enzymatic cleavage and mass spectrometry-based techniques.
- Capelo JL, Carreira R, Diniz M, Fernandes L, Galesio M, Lodeiro C, Santos HM, Vale G Anal. Chim. Acta 2009 Sep 650 2 151-9
- Ultrasonic-assisted enzymatic digestion (USAED) for total elemental determination and elemental speciation: a tutorial.
- Vale G, Rial-Otero R, Mota A, Fonseca L, Capelo JL Talanta 2008 May 75 4 872-84
- Enzymatic probe sonication as a tool for solid-liquid extraction for total selenium determination by electrothermal-atomic absorption spectrometry.
- Vale G, Pereira S, Mota A, Fonseca L, Capelo JL Talanta 2007 Nov 74 2 198-205
- Improving sample treatment for in-solution protein identification by peptide mass fingerprint using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry.
- Santos HM, Rial-Otero R, Fernandes L, Vale G, Rivas MG, Moura I, Capelo JL J. Proteome Res. 2007 Sep 6 9 3393-9
Honors & Awards
- Chemistry, fate and ecotoxicology of nanoparticles in freshwater bivalves
Postdoctoral grant awarded by the Portuguese foundation for Science and Technology (2011-2015)
- Freshwater arsenic detoxification through selenium food supplements: A Proteomics approach
Ph.D. grant awarded by the Portuguese foundation for Science and Technology (2007-2011)
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry (2015)