Dr. Alexandre Caron is a French-Canadian Medical Biologist (B.Sc. 2010) who obtained a Ph.D. in Physiology-Endocrinology from Laval University in July 2015. His graduate work with Drs. Denis Richard and Mathieu Laplante focused on understanding the role of DEP domain-containing mTOR-interacting protein (DEPTOR) in energy, glucose and lipid homeostasis. His graduate research also involved the study of the molecular mechanisms regulating non-shivering thermogenesis. In September 2015, Dr. Caron joined the laboratory of Dr. Joel Elmquist (UTSW) as a Diabetes Canada Postdoctoral Fellow. His postdoctoral work focused on characterizing the neural, molecular and transcriptional mechanisms of leptin action and production, using a multidisciplinary approach combining pharmacogenetic and transgenic tools. In 2018, Dr. Caron was awarded the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, the most competitive and prestigious postdoctoral award in Canada. In 2019, he received the Journal of Lipid Research Junior Investigator Award for his lecture at the Keystone Symposia. More recently, he was awarded the NIDDK K99/R00-Pathway to Independence Award to perform studies aimed at better understanding the sympathetic regulation of liver metabolism with Drs. Joel Elmquist and Shawn Burgess as mentors. Throughout his career, Dr. Caron has been committed at finding targets for the development of anti-obesity and anti-diabetes therapies.
- Autonomic control of liver metabolism
- mTOR and GPCR signaling in metabolic tissues
- Neuroendocrine control of adipose tissue
- Non-shivering thermogenesis
- Obesity & Diabetes
- Identification of leptin receptor-expressing cells in the nodose ganglion of male mice.
- Leon Mercado L, Caron A, Wang Y, Burton M, Gautron L, Endocrinology 2019 Mar
- DEPTOR at the Nexus of Cancer, Metabolism, and Immunity.
- Caron A, Briscoe DM, Richard D, Laplante M, Physiol. Rev. 2018 07 98 3 1765-1803
- POMC neurons expressing leptin receptors coordinate metabolic responses to fasting via suppression of leptin levels.
- Caron A, Dungan Lemko HM, Castorena CM, Fujikawa T, Lee S, Lord CC, Ahmed N, Lee CE, Holland WL, Liu C, Elmquist JK, Elife 2018 03 7
- Desacetyl-a-melanocyte stimulating hormone and a-melanocyte stimulating hormone are required to regulate energy balance.
- Mountjoy KG, Caron A, Hubbard K, Shome A, Grey AC, Sun B, Bould S, Middleditch M, Pontré B, McGregor A, Harris PWR, Kowalczyk R, Brimble MA, Botha R, Tan KML, Piper SJ, Buchanan C, Lee S, Coll AP, Elmquist JK, Mol Metab 2018 03 9 207-216
- Leptin and brain-adipose crosstalks.
- Caron A, Lee S, Elmquist JK, Gautron L, Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2018 Feb 19 3 153-165
- Loss of hepatic DEPTOR alters the metabolic transition to fasting.
- Caron A, Mouchiroud M, Gautier N, Labbé SM, Villot R, Turcotte L, Secco B, Lamoureux G, Shum M, Gélinas Y, Marette A, Richard D, Sabatini DM, Laplante M, Mol Metab 2017 05 6 5 447-458
- Mediobasal hypothalamic overexpression of DEPTOR protects against high-fat diet-induced obesity.
- Caron A, Labbé SM, Lanfray D, Blanchard PG, Villot R, Roy C, Sabatini DM, Richard D, Laplante M, Mol Metab 2016 Feb 5 2 102-112
- In vivo measurement of energy substrate contribution to cold-induced brown adipose tissue thermogenesis.
- Labbé SM, Caron A, Bakan I, Laplante M, Carpentier AC, Lecomte R, Richard D, FASEB J. 2015 May 29 5 2046-58
- DEP domain-containing mTOR-interacting protein in the rat brain: distribution of expression and potential implication.
- Caron A, Baraboi ED, Laplante M, Richard D, J. Comp. Neurol. 2015 Jan 523 1 93-107
- The Roles of mTOR Complexes in Lipid Metabolism.
- Caron A, Richard D, Laplante M, Annu. Rev. Nutr. 2015 35 321-48
Honors & Awards
- Future of Science Fund Scholarship
Keystone Symposia (2019)
- Junior Investigator Award
Journal of Lipid Research (2019)
- Banting Fellowship
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2018)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
Diabetes Canada (2015-2018)
- Training Program in Obesity Research
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2010-2015)
- The Obesity Society (2019)
- Canadian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism (2016)
- The Endocrine Society (2016)
- Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences (2015)