Dr. Alexandre Caron is a French-Canadian Medical Biologist (B.Sc. 2010) who obtained a Ph.D. in Physiology-Endocrinology from Laval University in July 2015. His graduate work with Drs. Denis Richard and Mathieu Laplante focused on understanding the role of DEP domain-containing mTOR-interacting protein (DEPTOR) in energy, glucose and lipid homeostasis. His graduate research also involved the study of the molecular mechanisms regulating non-shivering thermogenesis. In September 2015, Dr. Caron joined the laboratory of Dr. Joel Elmquist (UTSW) as a Diabetes Canada Postdoctoral Fellow. His postdoctoral work focused on characterizing the neural, molecular and transcriptional mechanisms of leptin action and production, using a multidisciplinary approach combining pharmacogenetic and transgenic tools. In 2018, Dr. Caron was awarded the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, the most competitive and prestigious postdoctoral award in Canada. In 2019, he received the Journal of Lipid Research Junior Investigator Award for his lecture at the Keystone Symposia. More recently, he was awarded the NIDDK K99/R00-Pathway to Independence Award to perform studies aimed at better understanding the sympathetic regulation of liver metabolism with Drs. Joel Elmquist and Shawn Burgess as mentors. Throughout his career, Dr. Caron has been committed at finding targets for the development of anti-obesity and anti-diabetes therapies.
- Autonomic control of liver metabolism
- mTOR and GPCR signaling in metabolic tissues
- Neuroendocrine control of adipose tissue
- Non-shivering thermogenesis
- Obesity & Diabetes
- Adipocyte Gs but not Gi signaling regulates whole-body glucose homeostasis.
- Caron A, Reynolds RP, Castorena CM, Michael NJ, Lee CE, Lee S, Berdeaux R, Scherer PE, Elmquist JK, Mol Metab 2019 Jun
- Identification of leptin receptor-expressing cells in the nodose ganglion of male mice.
- Leon Mercado L, Caron A, Wang Y, Burton M, Gautron L, Endocrinology 2019 Mar
- PPAR? is a major regulator of branched-chain amino acid blood levels and catabolism in white and brown adipose tissues.
- Blanchard PG, Moreira RJ, Castro É, Caron A, Côté M, Andrade ML, Oliveira TE, Ortiz-Silva M, Peixoto AS, Dias FA, Gélinas Y, Guerra-Sá R, Deshaies Y, Festuccia WT, Metab. Clin. Exp. 2018 Dec 89 27-38
- Interscapular brown adipose tissue denervation does not promote the oxidative activity of inguinal white adipose tissue in male mice.
- Labbé SM, Caron A, Festuccia WT, Lecomte R, Richard D, Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018 Nov 315 5 E815-E824
- Loss of OcaB Prevents Age-Induced Fat Accretion and Insulin Resistance by Altering B-Lymphocyte Transition and Promoting Energy Expenditure.
- Carter S, Miard S, Caron A, Sallé-Lefort S, St-Pierre P, Anhê FF, Lavoie-Charland E, Blais-Lecours P, Drolet MC, Lefebvre JS, Lacombe J, Deshaies Y, Couet J, Laplante M, Ferron M, Bossé Y, Marette A, Richard D, Marsolais D, Picard F, Diabetes 2018 07 67 7 1285-1296
- DEPTOR at the Nexus of Cancer, Metabolism, and Immunity.
- Caron A, Briscoe DM, Richard D, Laplante M, Physiol. Rev. 2018 07 98 3 1765-1803
- POMC neurons expressing leptin receptors coordinate metabolic responses to fasting via suppression of leptin levels.
- Caron A, Dungan Lemko HM, Castorena CM, Fujikawa T, Lee S, Lord CC, Ahmed N, Lee CE, Holland WL, Liu C, Elmquist JK, Elife 2018 03 7
- Desacetyl-a-melanocyte stimulating hormone and a-melanocyte stimulating hormone are required to regulate energy balance.
- Mountjoy KG, Caron A, Hubbard K, Shome A, Grey AC, Sun B, Bould S, Middleditch M, Pontré B, McGregor A, Harris PWR, Kowalczyk R, Brimble MA, Botha R, Tan KML, Piper SJ, Buchanan C, Lee S, Coll AP, Elmquist JK, Mol Metab 2018 03 9 207-216
- Leptin and brain-adipose crosstalks.
- Caron A, Lee S, Elmquist JK, Gautron L, Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2018 Feb 19 3 153-165
- Leptin Receptor Expression in Mouse Intracranial Perivascular Cells.
- Yuan X, Caron A, Wu H, Gautron L, Front Neuroanat 2018 12 4
Honors & Awards
- Future of Science Fund Scholarship
Keystone Symposia (2019)
- Junior Investigator Award
Journal of Lipid Research (2019)
- Banting Fellowship
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2018)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
Diabetes Canada (2015)
- The Obesity Society (2019)
- Canadian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism (2016)
- The Endocrine Society (2016)
- Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences (2015)