Jerry W. Shay, Professor
The University of Texas at Austin, BA, Zoology/ Cell Biology, 1966
The University of Kansas at Lawrence, MA, Cell Biol. & Physiol. Mol. Cell., 1968
The University of Colorado at Boulder, PhD, Develop. Biology, 1972-1975
POSITIONS AND EMPLOYMENT
1975-1993 Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Cell Biology/Neuroscience, UT Southwestern
1993- Professor, Department of Cell Biology, UT Southwestern, Southland Financial Corporation Distinguished Chair in Geriatric Research
2002- Associate Director, Education and Training, UT Southwestern Harold Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
2012 University of Texas Regent's Outstanding Teaching Award
2012 University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine Academy of Health Science Education
2013 Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation Piper Professor
2015 UT Southwestern Medical Center Distinguished Basic Science Educator Award
2016 Mary Kay Foundation Distinguished Professorship in Women's Cancer Research, in Honor of Jerry Shay, Ph.D.
2017 Eunice Kennedy Shriver NIH Alliance for Regenerative Rehabilitation Research and Training Pioneer Award
Telos Biotech, Inc.
Reata Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
#6,391,554 Issue date: 5/21/2002
“Detecting Cancerous Conditions by Assaying for Telomerase Activity”
#6,551,774 Issue date: 4/22/2003
“Diagnostic Methods for Conditions Associated with Elevated Cellular Levels of Telomerase”
#61/875,933 Provisional Issue Date: 9/10/2013
“Therapeutics Targeting Truncated Adenomatous Polyposis Coli (APC) Proteins”
#61/875,409 Issue Date: 7/22/2014
“Compounds Having Anti-Adhesive Effects on Cancer Cells”
#61/809,575 Issue Date: 4/08/2014
“Telomerase Mediated Telomere Altering Compounds” International 14/336,443
#62/193,019 Provisional Issue Date: 7/15/2015
“Targeting Emopamil Binding Protein (EBP) with Small Molecules that Induce an Abnormal Feedback Response by Lowering Endogenous Cholesterol Biosynthesis”
Submitted #25301016 03/24/2016
“Treatment of Drug Resistant Proliferative Diseases with Telomerase Mediated Telomere Altering Compound”
#62/504,009 Provisional Issue Date: 05/10/2017
“TeSLA (Telomere Shortest Length Assay): A Method to Measure the Shortest Telomeres”
- Graduate School
- University of Texas-Austin (1968), Genetics
- Graduate School
- University of Kansas (1972), Cell Biology
- Cancer stem cells
- Cell Biology of the cancer genome
- Mechanisms of cellular immortalization
- Mouse models of radiation-induced cancer
- Role of telomeres and telomerase in cancer and aging
- New insights into melanoma development.
- Shay JW Science 2017 Sep 357 6358 1358-1359
- A Method for Measuring the Distribution of the Shortest Telomeres in Cells and Tissues
- Lai TP, Zhang N, Noh J, Mender I, Tedone E, Huang E, Wright WE, Danuser G, Shay JW Nature Communications 2017 8 1
- Regulation of the Human Telomerase Gene TERT by Telomere Position Effect-Over Long Distances (TPE-OLD): Implications for Aging and Cancer.
- Kim W, Ludlow AT, Min J, Robin JD, Stadler G, Mender I, Lai TP, Zhang N, Wright WE, Shay JW PLoS Biol. 2016 Dec 14 12 e2000016
- TERT Promoter Mutations Enhance Telomerase Activation by Long-Range Chromatin Interactions.
- Min J, Shay JW Cancer Discov 2016 Nov 6 11 1212-1214
- Selective targeting of mutant adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) in colorectal cancer.
- Zhang L, Theodoropoulos PC, Eskiocak U, Wang W, Moon YA, Posner B, Williams NS, Wright WE, Kim SB, Nijhawan D, De Brabander JK, Shay JW Sci Transl Med 2016 Oct 8 361 361ra140
- Role of Telomeres and Telomerase in Aging and Cancer.
- Shay JW Cancer Discov 2016 Mar
- Induction of telomere dysfunction mediated by the telomerase substrate precursor 6-thio-2'-deoxyguanosine.
- Mender I, Gryaznov S, Dikmen ZG, Wright WE, Shay JW Cancer Discov 2015 Jan 5 1 82-95
- Telomere position effect: regulation of gene expression with progressive telomere shortening over long distances.
- Robin JD, Ludlow AT, Batten K, Magdinier F, Stadler G, Wagner KR, Shay JW, Wright WE Genes Dev. 2014 Nov 28 22 2464-76
- Alternative splicing regulation of telomerase: a new paradigm?
- Wong MS, Wright WE, Shay JW Trends Genet. 2014 Aug
- Specific association of human telomerase activity with immortal cells and cancer.
- Kim NW, Piatyszek MA, Prowse KR, Harley CB, West MD, Ho PL, Coviello GM, Wright WE, Weinrich SL, Shay JW Science 1994 Dec 266 5193 2011-5
Honors & Awards
- Pioneer Award
Eunice Kennedy Shriver NIH Alliance for Regenerative Rehabilitation Research and Training (2017)
- Distinguished Professorship in Women's Cancer Research, in Honor of Jerry Shay, Ph.D.
Mary Kay Foundation (2016)
- Distinguished Basic Science Educator Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015)
- Piper Professor
Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation (2013)
- University of Texas Kenneth I. Shine Academy of Health Science Education
- University of Texas Regent's Outstanding Teaching Award
- Doctor of the Decade (1995-2005)
Ranked 6th Most Cited Author in General Biomedical Science (2006)
- Ted Nash Award
Aging Research (2006)
- Distinguished Chair in Geriatric Research
Southland Financial Corporation (2001)
- Hayflick Award
American Aging Association (2001)
- Senior Scholar Award
Ellison Medical Foundation (1999)
- KAU University Center for Excellence in Medical Genetics Research Scientific Advisory Board Chair (2012)
- Mary Kay Ash Foundation Scientific Review Committee Chairman (1996)
- NIH Study Section on Mammalian Genetics Member (1990-1994)
- Reata Pharmaceuticals Scientific Advisory Board (2002)
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Research Grant Committee (1995-1997)