Dr. Shaul received his B.A. from Dartmouth College and his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati. He received residency training in pediatrics at the Children's Medical Center of Cincinnati/University of Cincinnati followed by fellowship training in neonatal-perinatal medicine at Women and Infant's Hospital of Rhode Island/Brown University.
He joined the faculty of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 1986, and is the holder of the Associates First Capitol Corporation Distinguished Chair in Pediatrics at UT Southwestern. He is the Director of the Center for Pulmonary and Vascular Biology and Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Pediatrics, and a member of the Integrative Biology Graduate Program in the Division of Basic Science. Dr. Shaul was President of the Society for Pediatric Research in 2005-2006.
- Medical School
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (1981)
- Children's Hospital Medical Center -Cincinnati (1984), Pediatrics
- Brown University Medical School (1986), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- apolipoprotein E receptor 2 (LRP8)
- Caveolae, lipid rafts
- Fc receptors and cardiometabolic disorders
- Membrane-associated estrogen receptors
- Nitric oxide synthase
- Scavenger receptor class B, type I (HDL receptor)
- Vascular basis of type 2 diabetes
- HDL Cholesterol Efflux Capacity and Incident Cardiovascular Events.
- Rohatgi A, Khera A, Berry JD, Givens EG, Ayers CR, Wedin KE, Neeland IJ, Yuhanna IS, Rader DR, de Lemos JA, Shaul PW N. Engl. J. Med. 2014 Nov
- IgG Receptor Fc?RIIB Plays a Key Role in Obesity-Induced Hypertension.
- Sundgren NC, Vongpatanasin W, Boggan BM, Tanigaki K, Yuhanna IS, Chambliss KL, Mineo C, Shaul PW Hypertension 2014 Nov
- Antiphospholipid antibodies attenuate endothelial repair and promote neointima formation in mice.
- Ulrich V, Konaniah ES, Lee WR, Khadka S, Shen YM, Herz J, Salmon JE, Hui DY, Shaul PW, Mineo C J Am Heart Assoc 2014 Oct 3 5 e001369
- Genetic variants of ApoE and ApoER2 differentially modulate endothelial function.
- Ulrich V, Konaniah ES, Herz J, Gerard RD, Jung E, Yuhanna IS, Ahmed M, Hui DY, Mineo C, Shaul PW Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Sep 111 37 13493-8
- The Cholesterol Metabolite 27-Hydroxycholesterol Promotes Atherosclerosis via Proinflammatory Processes Mediated by Estrogen Receptor Alpha.
- Umetani M, Ghosh P, Ishikawa T, Umetani J, Ahmed M, Mineo C, Shaul PW Cell Metab. 2014 Jun
- Bazedoxifene and Conjugated Estrogen Prevent Diet-induced Obesity, Hepatic Steatosis and Type 2 Diabetes in Mice Without Impacting the Reproductive Tract.
- Barrera J, Chambliss KL, Ahmed M, Tanigaki K, Thompson B, McDonald JG, Mineo C, Shaul PW Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014 Jun
- Mutation of the palmitoylation site of estrogen receptor a in vivo reveals tissue-specific roles for membrane versus nuclear actions.
- Adlanmerini M, Solinhac R, Abot A, Fabre A, Raymond-Letron I, Guihot AL, Boudou F, Sautier L, Vessières E, Kim SH, Lière P, Fontaine C, Krust A, Chambon P, Katzenellenbogen JA, Gourdy P, Shaul PW, Henrion D, Arnal JF, Lenfant F Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jan 111 2 E283-90
- Recent insights into non-nuclear actions of estrogen receptor alpha.
- Banerjee S, Chambliss KL, Mineo C, Shaul PW Steroids 2013 Nov
- Regulation of Signal Transduction by HDL.
- Mineo C, Shaul PW J. Lipid Res. 2013 May
- C-Reactive Protein Causes Insulin Resistance in Mice Through Fc? Receptor IIB-Mediated Inhibition of Skeletal Muscle Glucose Delivery.
- Tanigaki K, Vongpatanasin W, Barrera JA, Atochin DN, Huang PL, Bonvini E, Shaul PW, Mineo C Diabetes 2013 Mar 62 3 721-31
Physiology of Nitric Oxide in the Developing Lung. In Polin RA, Fox WW, Abman SH, eds. Fetal and Neonatal Physiology. 4th ed.
Kinsella JP, Shaul PW. (2011). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 807-820.
Pulmonary Hypertension Syndromes. In Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds. Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care. Vol 2.
Zellers TM, Shaul PW. (1997). Churchill Livingstone; 188-195.
Regulation of eNOS in Caveolae. In Jasmin J, Frank P, Lisanti MP, eds. Caveolins and Caveolae: Roles in Signaling and Disease Mechanisms.
Mineo C, Shaul PW. (2012.). New York: Springer; 51-62.
Caveolae and Estrogen Receptor Signaling. In Lisanti ML, Frank PG, eds. Advances in Molecular and Cell Biology Series. Vol 36.
Shaul PW, Chambliss KL. (2005). Elsevier; 109-123.
Regulation of Endothelial NO Synthase Activity by Estrogen Receptors in a Steroid Receptor Fast-Action Complex (SRFC) In Caveolae. In Watson CS, ed. The Identities of Membrane Steroid Receptors.
Shaul PW, Chambliss KL, Mineo C. (2003). Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 27-36.
Honors & Awards
- Association of American Physicians
- Associates First Capitol Corporation Distinguished Chair in Pediatrics
- Hall of Honor, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- President, Society for Pediatric Research
- Codirector, Crystal Charity Ball Center for Research in Pediatric Critical Care
- Lowe Foundation Professorship in Pediatric Critical Care Research
- Established Investigator Award, AHA
- Association of American Physicians (2013)
- American Pediatric Society (2003)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1999)
- The American Physiological Society (1999)
- Perinatal Research Society (1992-2013)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1990)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (1987)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1987)