Dr. Crewe received her Ph.D. at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. There she gained proficiency in mitochondrial bioenergetics and biochemical techniques, expertise she brought with her to UTSW as a postdoctoral fellow. She was trained in the lab of Dr. Philipp Scherer in the Touchstone Diabetes Center, a world renown research center with an excellent metabolism research program and rich training environment. In her time as a postdoctoral fellow she was awarded the NIH F32 Postdoctoral fellowship in 2017 and the NIH K99/R00 Career Development Award in 2019. Her research focus is understanding the role of adipose tissue exosomes in whole body metabolic signaling.
- Adipocyte Mitochondrial Metabolism
- Adipose Tissue Biology
- Extracellular Vesicle Biology and Signaling in Metabolic Disease
- Obesity and Diabetes
- A Novel Model of Diabetic Complications: Adipocyte Mitochondrial Dysfunction Triggers Massive ß-Cell Hyperplasia.
- Kusminski CM, Ghaben AL, Morley TS, Samms RJ, Adams AC, An Y, Johnson JA, Joffin N, Onodera T, Crewe C, Holland WL, Gordillo R, Scherer PE, Diabetes 2019 Dec
- Dysregulation of Amyloid Precursor Protein Impairs Adipose Tissue Mitochondrial Function and Promotes Obesity.
- An YA, Crewe C, Asterholm IW, Sun K, Chen S, Zhang F, Shao M, Funcke JB, Zhang Z, Straub L, Klein S, Kusminski CM, Scherer PE, Nat Metab 2019 Dec 1 12 1243-1257
- Dermal adipose tissue has high plasticity and undergoes reversible dedifferentiation in mice.
- Zhang Z, Shao M, Hepler C, Zi Z, Zhao S, An YA, Zhu Y, Ghaben A, Wang MY, Li N, Onodera T, Joffin N, Crewe C, Zhu Q, Vishvanath L, Kumar A, Xing C, Wang QA, Gautron L, Deng Y, Gordillo R, Kruglikov I, Kusminski CM, Gupta RK, Scherer PE, J. Clin. Invest. 2019 Sep
- SREBP-regulated adipocyte lipogenesis is dependent on substrate availability and redox modulation of mTORC1.
- Crewe C, Zhu Y, Paschoal VA, Joffin N, Ghaben AL, Gordillo R, Oh DY, Liang G, Horton JD, Scherer PE, JCI Insight 2019 Jul 5
- Human endotrophin as a driver of malignant tumor growth.
- Bu D, Crewe C, Kusminski CM, Gordillo R, Ghaben AL, Kim M, Park J, Deng H, Xiong W, Liu XZ, Lønning PE, Halberg N, Rios A, Chang Y, Gonzalez A, Zhang N, An Z, Scherer PE, JCI Insight 2019 Mar 5
- An Endothelial-to-Adipocyte Extracellular Vesicle Axis Governed by Metabolic State.
- Crewe C, Joffin N, Rutkowski JM, Kim M, Zhang F, Towler DA, Gordillo R, Scherer PE, Cell 2018 10 175 3 695-708.e13
- Regulation of Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Kinase 4 in the Heart through Degradation by the Lon Protease in Response to Mitochondrial Substrate Availability.
- Crewe C, Schafer C, Lee I, Kinter M, Szweda LI, J. Biol. Chem. 2017 Jan 292 1 305-312
- The ominous triad of adipose tissue dysfunction: inflammation, fibrosis, and impaired angiogenesis.
- Crewe C, An YA, Scherer PE, J. Clin. Invest. 2017 01 127 1 74-82
- Pathological Type-2 Immune Response, Enhanced Tumor Growth, and Glucose Intolerance in Retnlß (RELMß) Null Mice: A Model of Intestinal Immune System Dysfunction in Disease Susceptibility.
- Wernstedt Asterholm I, Kim-Muller JY, Rutkowski JM, Crewe C, Tao C, Scherer PE, Am. J. Pathol. 2016 09 186 9 2404-16
- Hyaluronan in adipose tissue: Beyond dermal filler and therapeutic carrier.
- Zhu Y, Crewe C, Scherer PE, Sci Transl Med 2016 Jan 8 323 323ps4
Honors & Awards
- Graduate College Award for Scientific Achievement
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (2014)
- Dean's Award Recipient
Oklahoma Christian University (2009)
- Outstanding Sophomore Award Recipient
Oklahoma Christian University (2007)