Dr. Park received both his undergraduate and graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering. His doctoral work at Stanford University was focused on technical developments of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopic imaging (MRSI) with application to preclinical glioma brain tumor metabolism. Following completion of his Ph.D. in 2012, he broadened his research into advanced biomedical imaging as a postdoctoral research fellow and a research associate in the Department of Radiology at Stanford School of Medicine. He joined the UT Southwestern as an Assistant Professor in 2016 and became an Associate Professor (with tenure) in 2022.
Dr. Park's lab has been focused on methodological developments and clinical translation of metabolic imaging, particularly of mitochondria, enabling in vivo assessment of metabolic fluxes in individual enzyme-catalyzed reactions. As metabolic processes and their regulation are complex, numerous transient physiological conditions, including nutritional states and exercise, impact metabolism. Chronic diseases such as cancer and type 2 diabetes may also have profound effects. For accurate and selective imaging of metabolism and function of interests, his lab develops imaging concepts and schemes by developing a network of ideas in MR pulse sequence, physiology, chemistry, and clinical translation.
- Graduate School
- Stanford University (2009), Electrical Engineering
- Graduate School
- Stanford University (2012), Electrical Engineering
- Cancer metabolism
- Development of hyperpolarized MR spectroscopic imaging methods
- Metabolic imaging agents
- Metabolic imaging of cardiomyopathy
- Molecular imaging of metabolic diseases
- Neurological diseases: traumatic brain injury and glioblastoma
- Noninvasive assessment of cellular metabolism and tissue characteristics
- Quantitative neuroimaging techniques
- Investigating the origin of the 13 C lactate signal in the anesthetized healthy rat brain in vivo after hyperpolarized [1-13 C]pyruvate injection.
- Zhu M, Jhajharia A, Josan S, Park JM, Yen YF, Pfefferbaum A, Hurd RE, Spielman DM, Mayer D, NMR Biomed 2023 Nov e5073
- Longitudinal assessment of mitochondrial dysfunction in acute traumatic brain injury using hyperpolarized [1-13C]pyruvate
- Hackett EP, Chen J, Ingle L, Al Nemri S, Barshikar S, Pinho MC, Plautz EJ, Bartnik-Olson BL, Park JM Magn Reson Med 2023 6 90 2432-2442
- Hyperpolarized [1-13C]acetyl-L-carnitine probes TCA cycle activity in vivo
- Chen J, Singh TK, Al Nemri S, Zaidi M, Billingsley KL, Park JM ACS Sens 2023 8 8 2927-2932
- Design and Characterization of Hyperpolarized 15N-BBCP as a H2O2-Sensing Probe.
- Park H, Chen J, Dimitrov IE, Park JM, Wang Q, ACS Sens 2022 Oct
- Profiling carbohydrate metabolism in liver and hepatocellular carcinoma with 13C-glycerate probes.
- Chen J, LaGue E, Li J, Yang C, Hackett EP, Mendoza M, Alger JR, DeBerardinis RJ, Corbin IR, Billingsley KL, Park JM, Analysis & Sensing 2021 Nov 4 1 196-202
- 13C-labeled diethyl ketoglutarate derivatives as hyperpolarized probes of 2-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase activity.
- Singh J, Suh EH, Sharma G, Chen J, Hackett EP, Wen X, Sherry AD, Khemtong C, Malloy CR, Park JM, Kovács Z, Analysis & Sensing 2021 Nov 4 1 156-160
- Dynamic 13 C MR spectroscopy as an alternative to imaging for assessing cerebral metabolism using hyperpolarized pyruvate in humans.
- Ma J, Pinho MC, Harrison CE, Chen J, Sun C, Hackett EP, Liticker J, Ratnakar J, Reed GD, Chen AP, Sherry AD, Malloy CR, Wright SM, Madden CJ, Park JM, Magn Reson Med 2021 Oct
- Dual-phase imaging of cardiac metabolism using hyperpolarized pyruvate.
- Ma J, Malloy CR, Pena S, Harrison CE, Ratnakar J, Zaha VG, Park JM, Magn Reson Med 2021 Oct
- Hyperpolarized NMR study of the impact of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase inhibition on the pyruvate dehydrogenase and TCA flux in type 2 diabetic rat muscle.
- Park JM, Josan S, Hurd RE, Graham J, Havel PJ, Bendahan D, Mayer D, Chung Y, Spielman DM, Jue T, Pflugers Arch 2021 Aug
- Probing Cerebral Metabolism with Hyperpolarized 13C Imaging after Opening the Blood-Brain Barrier with Focused Ultrasound.
- Hackett EP, Shah BR, Cheng B, LaGue E, Vemireddy V, Mendoza M, Bing C, Bachoo RM, Billingsley KL, Chopra R, Park JM, ACS Chem Neurosci 2021 Jul
Insights on lactate metabolism in skeletal muscle based on 13C dynamic nuclear polarization studies. In Dynamic Hyperpolarized Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. Handbook of Modern Biophysics
Park JM, Jue T (2021). Springer, Cham
Kinetic modeling of enzymatic reactions in analyzing hyperpolarized NMR data. In Dynamic Hyperpolarized Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. Handbook of Modern Biophysics
Spielman DM, Park JM (2021). Springer, Cham
Assessing pyruvate carboxylase flux as a mechanistic biological marker in fasting. In Biomarkers in Nutrition
Chen J, Park JM (2022). Springer Nature
Honors & Awards
- Gambhir-RSL Grant
Stanford University (2015-2016)
- Junior Fellow
International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2014-2014)
- Radiology Department Research Funding Award
Stanford University (2013-2014)
- Cambridge Foundation Fellowship
Graduate Scholarship (2007-2009)
- American Heart Association (2023)
- International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2009)
- National Neurotrauma Society (2023)