Namirah Jamshed, M.D., M.S., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Geriatric Medicine. A specialist in geriatric medicine and dementia, she serves as Medical Director of Care of the Vulnerable Elderly (COVE), UTSW's home-based primary care program. She is also the Director of the Geriatric Fellowship program.
Dr. Jamshed earned her medical degree at the Aga Khan University Medical College in Karachi, Pakistan. She completed a residency in family medicine at the Latrobe Area Hospital in Pennsylvania and received advanced training in geriatrics through a fellowship at the University of California-Los Angeles. She later completed a master's degree in healthcare management and leadership at the University of Texas at Dallas.
Certified by the American Board of Family Medicine, Dr. Jamshed joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015.
Dr. Jamshed’s research interests include population health, health policy, and teaching. Her investigations have led to a dozen peer-reviewed journal articles, reviews, and book chapters. In addition, she has presented her findings throughout the United States and around the world.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Jamshed is the Medical Director of the House Call program and she has served as chair of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
Dr. Jamshed is a member of the American Academy of Home Care Medicine, which she serves as a member of the Education, Awards, and Governance committees, and the American Geriatrics Society, which she serves as co-chair of the Home-Based Patient Care committee.
- Medical School
- The AGA Khan University (1996)
- Howard University Hospital (1999), Transitional Year
- LaTrobe Area Hospital (2002), Family Medicine
- UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA Medical Center (2007), Geriatric Medicine
- Hyponatremia: incidence, risk factors, and consequences in the elderly in a home-based primary care program.
- Ganguli A, Mascarenhas RC, Jamshed N, Tefera E, Veis JH Clin. Nephrol. 2015 Aug 84 8 75-85
- Effects of home-based primary care on Medicare costs in high-risk elders.
- De Jonge KE, Jamshed N, Gilden D, Kubisiak J, Bruce SR, Taler G J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 Oct 62 10 1825-31
- Emergency management of palpitations in the elderly: epidemiology, diagnostic approaches, and therapeutic options.
- Jamshed N, Dubin J, Eldadah Z Clin. Geriatr. Med. 2013 Feb 29 1 205-30
- Diagnostic approach to chronic constipation in adults.
- Jamshed N, Lee ZE, Olden KW Am Fam Physician 2011 Aug 84 3 299-306
- Pneumonia in the long-term resident.
- Jamshed N, Woods C, Desai S, Dhanani S, Taler G Clin. Geriatr. Med. 2011 May 27 2 117-33
- Linezolid: its role in the treatment of gram-positive, drug-resistant bacterial infections.
- Ament PW, Jamshed N, Horne JP Am Fam Physician 2002 Feb 65 4 663-70
Transitioning to Long-Term Care. In Home-Based Medical Care for Older Adults
Namirah Jamshed (2019). Springer
The Mismanagement of Multiple Medications in the Older Adult Population. In Handbook of Rehabilitation in Older Adults
(2019). Springer Link
Honors & Awards
- Leaders in Clinical Excellence Award for Program Development
UT Southwestern (2020)
- Clinical Educator of the Year
American Academy of Home Care Medicine (2014)
- Geriatrics Academic Career Award
Health Researouces and Services Administration (2007)