Dazhe Cao, M.D.
Associate Professor & Division Chief
Department Emergency Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2010)
- Carolinas Medical Center (2013), Emergency Medicine
- Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center (2015), Toxicology
- E-cigarette or Vaping Use-Associated Lung Injury (EVALI)
- Laboratory Interference
- Toxic Alcohols
- E-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury (EVALI) features and recognition in the emergency department.
- Aldy K, Cao DJ, Weaver MM, Rao D, Feng SY, J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open 2020 Oct 1 5 1090-1096
- Review of Health Consequences of Electronic Cigarettes and the Outbreak of Electronic Cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use-Associated Lung Injury.
- Cao DJ, Aldy K, Hsu S, McGetrick M, Verbeck G, De Silva I, Feng SY, J Med Toxicol 2020 Apr
- Characterization of edible marijuana product exposures reported to United States poison centers.
- Cao D, Srisuma S, Bronstein AC, Hoyte CO Clin Toxicol (Phila) 2016 Jul 1-7
- Intravenous lipid emulsion in the emergency department: a systematic review of recent literature.
- Cao D, Heard K, Foran M, Koyfman A J Emerg Med 2015 Mar 48 3 387-97
- Point of care testing provides an accurate measurement of creatinine, anion gap, and osmolal gap in ex-vivo whole blood samples with nitromethane.
- Cao D, Maynard S, Mitchell AM, Kerns WP, Beuhler M Clin Toxicol (Phila) 2014 Jul 52 6 611-7
- Tetanus: A Rare Complication of Black Tar Heroin Use.
- Pichlinski EM, Hoff E, Epperson LC, Morley E, Cao JD, Thoppil J, Field S, Mehta P, Good D, Nijhawan AE, Open Forum Infect Dis 2022 Mar 9 3 ofab613
- A comparative analysis of kratom exposure cases in Thailand and the United States from 2010-2017.
- Davidson C, Cao D, King T, Weiss ST, Wongvisavakorn S, Ratprasert N, Trakulsrichai S, Srisuma S, Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2021 01 47 1 74-83
- A Case Report of a Severe, Unusually Delayed Anaphylactoid Reaction to Intravenous N-Acetylcysteine During Treatment of Acute Acetaminophen Toxicity in an Adolescent.
- Epperson LC, Weiss ST, Cao DJ, J Med Toxicol 2021 01 17 1 75-79
- Clinical Features of E-cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use-Associated Lung Injury in Teenagers.
- Rao DR, Maple KL, Dettori A, Afolabi F, Francis JKR, Artunduaga M, Lieu TJ, Aldy K, Cao DJ, Hsu S, Feng SY, Mittal V, Pediatrics 2020 May
- Severe E-cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use Associated Lung Injury Requiring Venovenous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation.
- Aldy K, Cao DJ, Hsu S, McGetrick M, Willcutts D, Verbeck G, De Silva I, Pediatr Crit Care Med 2020 Mar
Toxicology. In First Aid for the Emergency Medicine Boards
Dazhe Cao, MD, Janetta Iwanicki, MD, Howard Kim, MD, and Java Tunson, MD (2016). Columbus, OH, McGraw Hill
Biochemical and Metabolic Principles. In Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies
James D. Cao and Kurt C. Kleinschmidt (2019). McGraw Hill / Medical
Oral Antihyperglycemia Agent Overdose. In PressorDex
Dazhe Cao, Donald Stader (2014). Dallas, Emergency Medicine Residents' Association
Tetanus, Botulism, and Food Poisoning. In Emergency Medicine Secrets
Dazhe James Cao, MD (2015). Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Resident Research Award
Best senior resident research project (2013-2013)
- American Academy of Clinical Toxicology (AACT) (2013)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) (2008)
- American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) (2012)
- Emergency Medicine Resident's Association (EMRA) (2008)