Dr. Mohammad Tarique Hussain graduated from Queens’ College, University of Cambridge (UK) where he was elected as a Queens’ college scholar for his academic achievements. He undertook cardiology fellowships at Birmingham Children’s Hospital (UK) and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow (UK). He further underwent advanced cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and cardiac computed tomography training (CT) at King’s College London, where he completed his doctoral degree (PhD) in Imaging Sciences. His thesis was on the subject of magnetic resonance imaging in pediatric coronary vasculopathy with a special focus on post-transplant coronary vasculopathy and aortic correlates of coronary disease.
Since then, Dr. Hussain continued to work as an academic senior lecturer and staff pediatric cardiologist with an interest in clinical cardiac imaging (including X-ray angiography; MRI, CT and echocardiography). During this time he has been prolific in his research work and has been internationally acclaimed for his use of cutting edge technology to improve the healthcare of children (e.g. BBC Breakfast, BBC News online, Telegraph).
Dr. Hussain moved to UT Southwestern in 2015 to take up the position of director of congenital cardiac magnetic resonance imaging at Children's Medical Center. His current research interests are in congenital heart disease, heart transplantation and cardiomyopathies.
- Medical School
- University of Cambridge (1999), Medicine
- University of Cambridge (2001), General Surgery
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2003), Pediatrics
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, United Kingdom (2003), Pediatric Cardiology
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2006), Pediatrics
- Glenfield Hospital (2006), Pediatric Cardiology
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children (2008), Pediatric Cardiology
- Assessment of ventriculo-arterial coupling in congenital and acquired heart disease
- Cardiac MRI for improved vascular imaging
- Implementation of new cardiac imaging technologies to improve patient care and well-being
- Use of 3D printing techniques in pediatric cardiology
- Maternal methadone therapy increases QTc interval in newborn infants.
- Parikh R, Hussain T, Holder G, Bhoyar A, Ewer AK Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2011 Mar 96 2 F141-3
- Planning of catheter interventions for pulmonary artery stenosis: improved measurement agreement with magnetic resonance angiography using identical angulations.
- Valverde I, Parish V, Hussain T, Rosenthal E, Beerbaum P, Krasemann T Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2011 Feb 77 3 400-8
- Single breath-hold assessment of ventricular volumes using 32-channel coil technology and an extracellular contrast agent.
- Parish V, Hussain T, Beerbaum P, Greil G, Nagel E, Razavi R, Schaeffter T, Uribe S J Magn Reson Imaging 2010 Apr 31 4 838-44
- Hypoglycaemic syncope in children secondary to beta-blockers.
- Hussain T, Greenhalgh K, McLeod KA Arch. Dis. Child. 2009 Dec 94 12 968-9
- Lead-induced tricuspid stenosis--successful management by balloon angioplasty.
- Hussain T, Knight WB, McLeod KA Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2009 Jan 32 1 140-2
- Oral rehydration therapy: a lesson from the developing world.
- Messahel S, Hussain T Arch. Dis. Child. 2008 Feb 93 2 183-4
- Maternal methadone may cause arrhythmias in neonates.
- Hussain T, Ewer AK Acta Paediatr. 2007 May 96 5 768-9
- Positive pretransplantation cytomegalovirus serology is a risk factor for cardiac allograft vasculopathy in children.
- Hussain T, Burch M, Fenton MJ, Whitmore PM, Rees P, Elliott M, Aurora P Circulation 2007 Apr 115 13 1798-805
- NICE guidelines for hyperlipidaemia in children and young people with type I diabetes: time for a rethink?
- Hussain T, Bagnall A, Agwu JC Arch. Dis. Child. 2006 Jun 91 6 545
- Paracetamol poisoning unmasking factor VII deficiency.
- Chilton AP, Hussain T, Elias E Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2002 Apr 14 4 441-3
Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In Plein S, Greenwood J, Ridgway J. eds. Cardiovascular MR Manual.
Hussain T, Rhode K, Greil GF. (2011). London: Springer-Verlay.
MRI Guidance of Cardiac Applications. In Kahn T, Busse H. eds. Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Hussain T, Valverde I, Razavi R, Schaeffter T. (2012). Springer
Kirk R, Dipchand A, Rosenthal D, Kirklin J, eds. ISHLT Guidelines for the Management of Pediatric Heart Failure (ISHLT MONOGRAPH SERIES Book 8).
Hussain T (Contributing author for the Imaging Section) (2014).
Honors & Awards
- Magna cum Laude Award
International Society for Magenetic Resonanace in Medicine, International Meeting (2012)
- Madeleine Steel Foundation Fellowship Award
- Queen's College Scholar
Queen's College, University of Cambridge (1997)
- Quality and Safety Improvement Award
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Trust
- Member, SCMR Working Group, Pediatric Cardiology (2013)
- Member, Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) (2008)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (MRCPS, Glasgow) (2007)
- Member, British Congenital Cardiac Association (2006)