Dr. Mohammad Tarique Hussain graduated from Queens’ College, University of Cambridge (UK) where he was elected as a Queens’ college scholar for his academic achievements. He undertook cardiology fellowships at Birmingham Children’s Hospital (UK) and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow (UK). He further underwent advanced cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and cardiac computed tomography training (CT) at King’s College London, where he completed his doctoral degree (PhD) in Imaging Sciences. His thesis was on the subject of magnetic resonance imaging in pediatric coronary vasculopathy with a special focus on post-transplant coronary vasculopathy and aortic correlates of coronary disease.
Since then, Dr. Hussain continued to work as an academic senior lecturer and staff pediatric cardiologist with an interest in clinical cardiac imaging (including X-ray angiography; MRI, CT and echocardiography). During this time he has been prolific in his research work and has been internationally acclaimed for his use of cutting edge technology to improve the healthcare of children (e.g. BBC Breakfast, BBC News online, Telegraph).
Dr. Hussain moved to UT Southwestern in 2015 to take up the position of director of congenital cardiac magnetic resonance imaging at Children's Medical Center. His current research interests are in congenital heart disease, heart transplantation and cardiomyopathies.
- Medical School
- University of Cambridge (1999), Medicine
- University of Cambridge (2001), General Surgery
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2003), Pediatrics
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, United Kingdom (2003), Pediatric Cardiology
- Glenfield Hospital (2006), Pediatric Cardiology
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2006), Pediatrics
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children (2008), Pediatric Cardiology
- Assessment of ventriculo-arterial coupling in congenital and acquired heart disease
- Cardiac MRI for improved vascular imaging
- Implementation of new cardiac imaging technologies to improve patient care and well-being
- Use of 3D printing techniques in pediatric cardiology
- Imaging for coronary allograft vasculopathy in children and adolescents.
- Dedieu N, Hussain T, Burch M. Progress in Pediatric Cardiology 2014 Dec; 37(1-2):29-35
- The emerging role of cardiovascular magnetic resonance in the evaluation of Kawasaki disease.
- Mavrogeni S, Papadopoulos G, Hussain T, Chiribiri A, Botnar R, Greil GF Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2013 Dec 29 8 1787-98
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging in congenital heart disease as an alternative to diagnostic invasive cardiac catheterization: a single center experience.
- Heathfield E, Hussain T, Qureshi S, Valverde I, Witter T, Douiri A, Bell A, Beerbaum P, Razavi R, Greil GF Congenit Heart Dis 2013 Jul-Aug 8 4 322-7
- Multimodality imaging of subclinical aortic atherosclerosis: relation of aortic stiffness to calcification and plaque in female twins.
- Cecelja M, Hussain T, Greil G, Botnar R, Preston R, Moayyeri A, Spector TD, Chowienczyk P Hypertension 2013 Mar 61 3 609-14
- Left-sided pulmonary venous pathway obstruction after Mustard operation.
- Matthews CE, Hussain T, Miles C, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Botnar R, Greil G Congenit Heart Dis 2013 Jan-Feb 8 1 66-70
- Detection and grading of coronary allograft vasculopathy in children with contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of the coronary vessel wall.
- Hussain T, Fenton M, Peel SA, Wiethoff AJ, Taylor A, Muthurangu V, Razavi R, Botnar RM, Burch M, Greil GF Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2013 Jan 6 1 91-8
- Flow-independent 3D whole-heart vessel wall imaging using an interleaved T2-preparation acquisition.
- Andia ME, Henningsson M, Hussain T, Phinikaridou A, Protti A, Greil G, Botnar RM Magn Reson Med 2013 Jan 69 1 150-7
- Central aortic stiffness, hypertension, and coronary allograft vasculopathy in children.
- Hussain T, Burch M, Greil GF, Cecelja M, Fenton M J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2012 Dec 31 12 1318-20
- Contrast enhancement imaging in coronary arteries in SLE.
- Puntmann VO, D'Cruz D, Taylor PC, Hussain T, Indermuhle A, Butzbach B, Botnar R, Nagel E JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2012 Sep 5 9 962-4
- Cyanosis in a 9-month-old child after repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous return.
- Latus H, Hussain T, Krasemann T, Greil GF Pediatr Radiol 2012 Jun 42 6 758-60
Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In Plein S, Greenwood J, Ridgway J. eds. Cardiovascular MR Manual.
Hussain T, Rhode K, Greil GF. (2011). London: Springer-Verlay.
MRI Guidance of Cardiac Applications. In Kahn T, Busse H. eds. Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Hussain T, Valverde I, Razavi R, Schaeffter T. (2012). Springer
Kirk R, Dipchand A, Rosenthal D, Kirklin J, eds. ISHLT Guidelines for the Management of Pediatric Heart Failure (ISHLT MONOGRAPH SERIES Book 8).
Hussain T (Contributing author for the Imaging Section) (2014).
Honors & Awards
- Magna cum Laude Award
International Society for Magenetic Resonanace in Medicine, International Meeting (2012)
- Madeleine Steel Foundation Fellowship Award
- Queen's College Scholar
Queen's College, University of Cambridge (1997)
- Quality and Safety Improvement Award
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Trust
- Member, SCMR Working Group, Pediatric Cardiology (2013)
- Member, Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) (2008)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (MRCPS, Glasgow) (2007)
- Member, British Congenital Cardiac Association (2006)