Dr. M. Tarique Hussain graduated from Queens’ College, University of Cambridge (UK) where he was elected as a Queens’ college scholar for his academic achievements. He undertook cardiology fellowships at Birmingham Children’s Hospital (UK) and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow (UK). He further underwent advanced cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and cardiac computed tomography training (CT) at King’s College London, where he completed his doctoral degree (PhD) in Imaging Sciences. His thesis was on the subject of magnetic resonance imaging in pediatric coronary vasculopathy with a special focus on post-transplant coronary vasculopathy and aortic correlates of coronary disease.
Since then, Dr. Hussain continued to work as an academic senior lecturer and staff pediatric cardiologist with an interest in clinical cardiac imaging (including X-ray angiography; MRI, CT and echocardiography). During this time he has been prolific in his research work and has been internationally acclaimed for his use of cutting edge technology to improve the healthcare of children (e.g. BBC Breakfast, BBC News online, Telegraph).
Dr. Hussain moved to UT Southwestern in 2015 to take up the position of director of congenital cardiac magnetic resonance imaging at Children's Medical Center. His current research interests are in congenital heart disease, heart transplantation and cardiomyopathies. Since moving to this position at UTSW, Dr Hussain has built a clinical cardiac imaging program and research team (including post-doctoral students, training fellows, collaborators and peers). He continued to secure and manage grant-funded research as principal investigator (including NSF funding) and has mentored numerous trainees and junior faculty. His work in interventional cardiac MRI, three-dimenesional imaging and computational modelling continues to receive international recognition.
- Medical School
- University of Cambridge (1999), Medicine
- University of Cambridge (2001), General Surgery
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2003), Pediatrics
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, United Kingdom (2003), Pediatric Cardiology
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2006), Pediatrics
- Glenfield Hospital (2006), Pediatric Cardiology
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children (2008), Pediatric Cardiology
- Assessment of ventriculo-arterial coupling in congenital and acquired heart disease
- Cardiac MRI for improved vascular imaging
- Implementation of new cardiac imaging technologies to improve patient care and well-being
- Use of 3D printing techniques in pediatric cardiology
- Interventional Correction of Sinus Venosus Atrial Septal Defect and Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Drainage: Procedural Planning Using 3D Printed Models.
- Velasco Forte MN, Byrne N, Valverde I, Gomez Ciriza G, Hermuzi A, Prachasilchai P, Mainzer G, Pushparajah K, Henningsson M, Hussain T, Qureshi S, Rosenthal E JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2018 Feb 11 2 Pt 1 275-278
- Evaluation of a modified Cheatham-Platinum stent for the treatment of aortic coarctation by finite element modelling.
- Burkhardt BE, Byrne N, Velasco Forte MN, Iannaccone F, De Beule M, Morgan GJ, Hussain T, JRSM Cardiovasc Dis 2018 Jan-Dec 7 2048004018773958
- Patient-specific modeling of right coronary circulation vulnerability post-liver transplant in Alagille's syndrome.
- Silva Vieira M, Arthurs CJ, Hussain T, Razavi R, Figueroa CA, PLoS One 2018 13 11 e0205829
- Multimodality Noninvasive Imaging in the Monitoring of Pediatric Heart Transplantation.
- Kindel SJ, Hsu HH, Hussain T, Johnson JN, McMahon CJ, Kutty S, J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2017 Sep 30 9 859-870
- Morphological three-dimensional analysis of papillary muscles in borderline left ventricles.
- Velasco Forte MN, Nassar M, Byrne N, Silva Vieira M, Pérez IV, Ruijsink B, Simpson J, Hussain T Cardiol Young 2017 Sep 27 7 1369-1376
- Improved passive catheter tracking with positive contrast for CMR-guided cardiac catheterization using partial saturation (pSAT).
- Velasco Forte MN, Pushparajah K, Schaeffter T, Valverde Perez I, Rhode K, Ruijsink B, Alhrishy M, Byrne N, Chiribiri A, Ismail T, Hussain T, Razavi R, Roujol S J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2017 Aug 19 1 60
- Ventricular function and vascular dimensions after Norwood and hybrid palliation of hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Latus H, Nassar MS, Wong J, Hachmann P, Bellsham-Revell H, Hussain T, Apitz C, Salih C, Austin C, Anderson D, Yerebakan C, Akintuerk H, Bauer J, Razavi R, Schranz D, Greil G Heart 2017 Jul
- 3D Printed Models in Patients with Coronary Artery Fistulae: Anatomical Assessment and Interventional Planning.
- de Las Nieves Velasco Forte M, Byrne N, Valverde Perez I, Bell A, Gómez-Ciriza G, Krasemann T, Sievert H, Simpson J, Pushparajah K, Razavi R, Qureshi S, Hussain T EuroIntervention 2017 May
- Aortic length measurements for pulse wave velocity calculation: manual 2D vs automated 3D centreline extraction.
- van Engelen A, Silva Vieira M, Rafiq I, Cecelja M, Schneider T, de Bliek H, Figueroa CA, Hussain T, Botnar RM, Alastruey J J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2017 Mar 19 1 32
- Pressure-volume loop-derived cardiac indices during dobutamine stress: a step towards understanding limitations in cardiac output in children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Wong J, Pushparajah K, de Vecchi A, Ruijsink B, Greil GF, Hussain T, Razavi R Int. J. Cardiol. 2017 Mar 230 439-446
Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In Plein S, Greenwood J, Ridgway J. eds. Cardiovascular MR Manual.
Hussain T, Rhode K, Greil GF. (2011). London: Springer-Verlay.
MRI Guidance of Cardiac Applications. In Kahn T, Busse H. eds. Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Hussain T, Valverde I, Razavi R, Schaeffter T. (2012). Springer
Kirk R, Dipchand A, Rosenthal D, Kirklin J, eds. ISHLT Guidelines for the Management of Pediatric Heart Failure (ISHLT MONOGRAPH SERIES Book 8).
Hussain T (Contributing author for the Imaging Section) (2014).
Kawasaki Disease. In Skin and the Heart
Gooty V.D., Sharma K., Hussain T (2021). Cham, Switzerland, Springer
3D Printing and Holography. In Multimodality Imaging Innovations In Adult Congenital Heart Disease
Velasco Forte MN, Hussain T, Vamsee R and Valverde I (2021). Cham, Switzerland, Springer
Honors & Awards
- Pohost Runner-Up Award for Best Article of 2020
- Best Poster Award
CSI (Catheter Interventions in Congenital and Structural Heart Disease), Frankfurt (2019)
- Best Research Award
PICS Annual Scientific Meeting, San Diego (2019)
- Exposition 2nd place award
Mentor for University of Texas Design Undergraduate Computer Science Exposition Senior Project (2018)
- Outstanding Scientist Award
Neoheart Conference, Fort Worth, Texas (2018)
- Top abstract winner, Robotic Technology and Virtual Reality category
Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (2018)
- Mimics Innovation Award 2nd Place, Americas Region
Materialise Annual Innovation Conference Brussels, Belgium (2017)
- Quality and Safety Improvement Award
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Trust (2014)
- Magna cum Laude Award
International Society for Magenetic Resonanace in Medicine, International Meeting (2012)
- Madeleine Steel Foundation Fellowship Award
- Queen's College Scholar
Queen's College, University of Cambridge (1997)
- Memebr, Virtual Physiological Human Institute (2020)
- Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) (2019)
- Member, International Society of Magnetic Resonance In Medicine (2018)
- Member, American Heart Association (2015)
- Member, SCMR Working Group, Pediatric Cardiology (2013-2020)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (MRCPS, Glasgow) (2007)
- Member, British Congenital Cardiac Association (2006-2015)