Dr. Zhang is originally from China and received her PhD degree at Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences. With a strong background in iron metabolism and physiology study, she came to UTSW to study metabolism in a broader way. Her current research focus on: 1) The physiological role of dermal fat; 2) The metabolism in the skin; 3) The role of adiponectin in Gestational Diabetes Mellitus.
- Adiponectin and GDM
- Dermal Fat
- Skin Metabolism and Related Diseases
- Differential glucose requirement in skin homeostasis and injury identifies a therapeutic target for psoriasis.
- Zhang Z, Zi Z, Lee EE, Zhao J, Contreras DC, South AP, Abel ED, Chong BF, Vandergriff T, Hosler GA, Scherer PE, Mettlen M, Rathmell JC, DeBerardinis RJ, Wang RC Nat. Med. 2018 Apr
- Adipocyte Xbp1s overexpression drives uridine production and reduces obesity.
- Deng Y, Wang ZV, Gordillo R, Zhu Y, Ali A, Zhang C, Wang X, Shao M, Zhang Z, Iyengar P, Gupta RK, Horton JD, Hill JA, Scherer PE Mol Metab 2018 Mar
- Adipose tissue: The dysfunctional adipocyte - a cancer cell's best friend.
- Zhang Z, Scherer PE Nat Rev Endocrinol 2018 Jan
- Characterization of ferroptosis in murine models of hemochromatosis.
- Wang H, An P, Xie E, Wu Q, Fang X, Gao H, Zhang Z, Li Y, Wang X, Zhang J, Li G, Yang L, Liu W, Min J, Wang F Hepatology 2017 Aug 66 2 449-465
- Glutathione Depletion, Pentose Phosphate Pathway Activation, and Hemolysis in Erythrocytes Protecting Cancer Cells from Vitamin C Induced Oxidative Stress.
- Zhang ZZ, Lee EE, Sudderth J, Yue Y, Zia A, Glass D, DeBerardinis RJ, Wang RC J. Biol. Chem. 2016 Sep
- CCNYL1, but Not CCNY, Cooperates with CDK16 to Regulate Spermatogenesis in Mouse.
- Zi Z, Zhang Z, Li Q, An W, Zeng L, Gao D, Yang Y, Zhu X, Zeng R, Shum WW, Wu J PLoS Genet. 2015 Aug 11 8 e1005485
- Bmp6 expression can be regulated independently of liver iron in mice.
- Zhang Z, Guo X, Herrera C, Tao Y, Wu Q, Wu A, Wang H, Bartnikas TB, Wang F PLoS ONE 2014 Jan 9 1 e84906
- Screening Identifies the Chinese Medicinal Plant Caulis Spatholobi as an Effective HAMP Expression Inhibitor.
- Guan Y, An P, Zhang Z, Zhang F, Yu Y, Wu Q, Shi Y, Guo X, Tao Y, Wang F J. Nutr. 2013 May
- Ferroportin1 in hepatocytes and macrophages is required for the efficient mobilization of body iron stores in mice.
- Zhang Z, Zhang F, Guo X, An P, Tao Y, Wang F Hepatology 2012 Sep 56 3 961-71
- Ferroportin1 deficiency in mouse macrophages impairs iron homeostasis and inflammatory responses.
- Zhang Z, Zhang F, An P, Guo X, Shen Y, Tao Y, Wu Q, Zhang Y, Yu Y, Ning B, Nie G, Knutson MD, Anderson GJ, Wang F Blood 2011 Jun 1912-22
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Graduate Thesis Award
Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences - Eli Lilly (2012)