Parag H. Joshi, M.D., M.H.S., an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Cardiology. He specializes in heart disease and preventive cardiology, including abnormal cholesterol, family history of heart disease, early atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes. He also performs and researches noninvasive imaging.
Born and raised in Dallas, Dr. Joshi holds a bachelor's degree in business and finance with a minor in biology from Trinity University. He earned his medical degree at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine and completed internal medicine residency training at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta. He received advanced training through a fellowship in cardiovascular prevention at the Piedmont Heart Institute, a fellowship in cardiovascular prevention at the Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease as the inaugural fellow and a fellowship in cardiovascular diseases at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He also received a master's of health science from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular disease, Dr. Joshi joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015, where he also serves as the Director of Cardiology Grand Rounds.
Dr. Joshi has delivered a variety of presentations, written dozens of peer-reviewed academic articles, and contributed to several books. He is an Assistant Editor for the journal Circulation and an ad hoc reviewer for a variety of academic journals, including the Journal of the American College of Cardiology and the Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.
Dr. Joshi is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and is a member of several professional organizations, including the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography and the American Heart Association.
In 2019 and 2020, Dr. Joshi was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor Rising Star. In 2017, he was named a Next-Gen Innovator by Cardiology Today magazine.
- Medical School
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (2006)
- Emory University School of Medicine (2009), Internal Medicine
- Piedmont Heart Institute (2011), Preventive Medicine
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2014)
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2014)
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (2015), Cardiology
- Assessing risk for heart attack and stroke
- Coronary Calcium Scoring
- Coronary CT Angiography
- SCCT curriculum guidelines for general (level 1) cardiovascular CT training.
- Maroules CD, Cheezum MK, Joshi PH, Williams M, Simprini LA, Nelson KH, Bittencourt MS, Carr JJ, Weigold WG, Cury RC, Blankstein R, Abbara S J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2015 Mar-Apr 9 2 81-8
- HDL cholesterol subclasses, myocardial infarction, and mortality in secondary prevention: the Lipoprotein Investigators Collaborative.
- Martin SS, Khokhar AA, May HT, Kulkarni KR, Blaha MJ, Joshi PH, Toth PP, Muhlestein JB, Anderson JL, Knight S, Li Y, Spertus JA, Jones SR Eur. Heart J. 2015 Jan 36 1 22-30
- Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, guideline targets, and population percentiles for secondary prevention in 1.3 million adults: the VLDL-2 study (very large database of lipids).
- Elshazly MB, Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Joshi PH, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Al-Hijji MA, Kulkarni KR, Kwiterovich PO, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Nov 62 21 1960-5
- Friedewald-estimated versus directly measured low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and treatment implications.
- Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Elshazly MB, Brinton EA, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Joshi PH, Kulkarni KR, Mize PD, Kwiterovich PO, Defilippis AP, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Aug 62 8 732-9
- A peripheral blood gene expression score is associated with plaque volume and phenotype by intravascular ultrasound with radiofrequency backscatter analysis: results from the ATLANTA study.
- Joshi PH, Rinehart S, Vazquez G, Qian Z, Sharma A, Anderson H, Murrieta L, Flockhart N, Karmpaliotis D, Kalynych A, Asztalos B, Elashoff MR, Blanchard J, Rosenberg S, Brown C, Voros S Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2013 Mar 3 1 5-14
- The M235T single nucleotide polymorphism in the angiotensinogen gene is associated with coronary artery calcium in patients with a family history of coronary artery disease.
- Joshi PH, Xu H, Lestrange R, Flockhart N, Kirkland B, Vazquez G, Qian Z, Sharma A, Marvasty I, Bhatt K, Brown C, Rinehart S, Miller J, Voros S Atherosclerosis 2013 Feb 226 2 433-9
- What is the role of calcium scoring in the age of coronary computed tomographic angiography?
- Joshi PH, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS, Blankstein R, Nasir K J Nucl Cardiol 2012 Dec 19 6 1226-35
- A point-by-point response to recent arguments against the use of statins in primary prevention: this statement is endorsed by the American Society for Preventive Cardiology.
- Joshi PH, Chaudhari S, Blaha MJ, Jones SR, Martin SS, Post WS, Cannon CP, Fonarow GC, Wong ND, Amsterdam E, Hirshfeld JW, Blumenthal RS Clin Cardiol 2012 35 7 404-9
- Coronary atherosclerosis imaging by coronary CT angiography: current status, correlation with intravascular interrogation and meta-analysis.
- Voros S, Rinehart S, Qian Z, Joshi P, Vazquez G, Fischer C, Belur P, Hulten E, Villines TC JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2011 May 4 5 537-48
Statin Therapy: Impact on Dyslipidemia and Cardiovascular Events in Diabetic Patients. In Lipoproteins in Diabetes Mellitus
Martin SS, Joshi PH, Jones Sr (2014). Springer-Humana
Section 1: Cardiology; Chapter 3: Lipid Disorders. In The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, 5th Edition
Keramati AR, AbdTT, Blumental RS, Joshi PH, Stone NJ (2015). Elsevier
Lipids. In Aronow - Translational Research in Coronary Artery Disease
Martin SS, Michos ED, Joshi PH (2015). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- AHA Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award Finalist
Young Investigator's Award at the American Heart Association Annual Meeting (2014)
- Best Fellow's Abstract
American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting (2014)
- "Up & Coming Cardiologists"
Cardiosource WorldNews Feature (2013)
- Best Overall Abstract
American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting (2013)
- Inaugural Pollin Fellow in Cardiovascular Prevention
Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease (2013-2015)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)
- American College of Physicians (2015)
- American Heart Association (2015)