Originally from Vijayawada, India, Dr. Gavini holds a bachelor's degree in chemistry with minors in Spanish and biology from the University of Alabama-Birmingham. She earned her medical degree at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, where she also completed a residency in internal medicine. She then received advanced training in gastroenterology and GI motility through a fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston. During her fellowship, Dr. Gavini also performed clinical research on esophageal reflux in the lung transplant population and obtained her Master of Public Health degree.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Gavini joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015.
Dr. Gavini’s research and clinical interests are in gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); extraintestinal manifestations of GERD, especially in patients undergoing lung transplant workup; eosinophilic esophagitis; Barrett’s esophagus; and esophageal motility disorders such as achalasia. She works closely with doctors evaluating patients for lung transplant and with surgeons evaluating patients for antireflux surgery or achalasia.
Dr. Gavini was awarded the Young Investigator Forum Award from the American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society. Since 2020, she has been the Interim Director of GI Motility at UT Southwestern, as well as a member of the Fellowship Research Committee.
Dr. Gavini is a member of multiple professional organizations, including the American Gastroenterological Association, the American Medical Association, the American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society, and the American Foregut Society. She is also a member of the American College of Gastroenterology and serves on their Patient Care Committee.
- Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2009)
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital (2012), Internal Medicine
- Medical School
- Harvard School of Public Health (2015)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (2015), Gastroenterology
- Eosinophilic esophagitis management
- Extraintestinal manifestations of GERD and effect on lung transplant outcomes
- Natural history of lymphocytic esophagitis
- Primary esophageal motility disorders
- Delayed Gastric Emptying in Prelung Transplant Patients Is Associated With Posttransplant Acute Cellular Rejection Independent of Reflux.
- Derousseau T, Chan WW, Cangemi D, Kaza V, Lo WK, Gavini S, J Clin Gastroenterol 2021 Feb
- Extraesophageal syndrome of gastroesophageal reflux: relationships with lung disease and transplantation outcome.
- Chan WW, Ahuja N, Fisichella PM, Gavini S, Rangan V, Vela MF, Ann N Y Acad Sci 2020 12 1482 1 95-105
- Clinical course of gastroesophageal reflux disease and impact of treatment in symptomatic young patients.
- Bonavina L, Fisichella PM, Gavini S, Lee YY, Tatum RP, Ann N Y Acad Sci 2020 12 1481 1 117-126
- Abnormal Bolus Reflux Is Associated With Poor Pulmonary Outcome in Patients With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Borges LF, Jagadeesan V, Goldberg H, Gavini S, Lo WK, Burakoff R, Feldman N, Chan WW J Neurogastroenterol Motil 2018 Jul 24 3 395-402
- Lung disease severity in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is more strongly associated with impedance measures of bolus reflux than pH parameters of acid reflux alone.
- Gavini S, Borges LF, Finn RT, Lo WK, Goldberg HJ, Burakoff R, Feldman N, Chan WW Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2016 Dec
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is associated with increased impedance measures of reflux compared to non-fibrotic disease among prelung transplant patients.
- Gavini S, Finn RT, Lo WK, Goldberg HJ, Burakoff R, Feldman N, Chan WW Neurogastroenterol. Motil. 2015 Jul
- Caesarean section to prevent transmission of hepatitis B: a meta-analysis.
- Chang MS, Gavini S, Andrade PC, McNabb-Baltar J Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014 Sep 28 8 439-44
Barrett Esophagus. In Scientific American Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endoscopy
Gavini S, Jajoo, K (2015). Hamilton, Ontario, Decker Intellectual Properties
Honors & Awards
- Young Investigator Forum Award
American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (2014)
- M.A. Cartland Shackford Medical Fellowship
Wellesley College (2007)
- Preclinical Research Training Program Fellowship
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (2006)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2019)
- American Foregut Society (2020)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2014)
- American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (2015)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2015)
- Texas Medical Association (2015)