Dat Vo, M.D., Ph.D., a native of Fort Worth, joins the faculty of UT Southwestern after completing residency in radiation oncology at UT Southwestern. He earned his B.S. from the University of Texas at Austin then earned both his M.D. and Ph.D. at the University of Texas School of Medicine in San Antonio. Following that, he completed his residency at UT Southwestern where he served as chief resident. His interests include post-transcriptional gene regulation, nucleic acid-based diagnostics and therapeutics, and clinical radiation oncology with a particular interest in head and neck cancer.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2014)
- John Peter Smith Hospital (2015), Transitional Year
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2019), Radiation Oncology
- Clinical radiation oncology with a particular interest in head and neck cancer
- Nucleic acid-based diagnostics
- Post-transcriptional gene regulation
- miR-125a-5p Functions as Tumor Suppressor microRNA And Is a Marker of Locoregional Recurrence And Poor prognosis in Head And Neck Cancer.
- Vo DT, Karanam NK, Ding L, Saha D, Yordy JS, Giri U, Heymach JV, Story MD, Neoplasia 2019 Jul 21 9 849-862
- Deep inspiration breathhold for left-sided breast cancer patients with unfavorable cardiac anatomy requiring internal mammary nodal irradiation.
- Mohamad O, Shiao J, Zhao B, Roach K, Ramirez E, Vo DT, Thomas K, Gu X, Spangler A, Albuquerque K, Rahimi A, Pract Radiat Oncol 2017 Nov - Dec 7 6 e361-e367
- Novel Use of an Image-Guided Stereotactic Approach in Trauma for Localization of Transcranial Bullet.
- Vo DT, Cravens GF, Germann RE, Cureus 2017 Jul 9 7 e1501
- Streptococcus pneumoniae meningitis complicated by an intramedullary abscess: a case report and review of the literature.
- Vo DT, Cravens GF, Germann RE, J Med Case Rep 2016 Oct 10 1 290
- Musashi1 Impacts Radio-Resistance in Glioblastoma by Controlling DNA-Protein Kinase Catalytic Subunit.
- de Araujo PR, Gorthi A, da Silva AE, Tonapi SS, Vo DT, Burns SC, Qiao M, Uren PJ, Yuan ZM, Bishop AJ, Penalva LO, Am. J. Pathol. 2016 09 186 9 2271-8
- Isolated hemangioblastoma of the cervical spinal cord: A case report and literature review.
- Vo DT, Cravens GF, Germann RE, Int J Surg Case Rep 2016 26 7-11
- RNA-Binding Protein Musashi1 Is a Central Regulator of Adhesion Pathways in Glioblastoma.
- Uren PJ, Vo DT, de Araujo PR, Pötschke R, Burns SC, Bahrami-Samani E, Qiao M, de Sousa Abreu R, Nakaya HI, Correa BR, Kühnöl C, Ule J, Martindale JL, Abdelmohsen K, Gorospe M, Smith AD, Penalva LO, Mol. Cell. Biol. 2015 Sep 35 17 2965-78
- RNA binding protein HuR regulates the expression of ABCA1.
- Ramírez CM, Lin CS, Abdelmohsen K, Goedeke L, Yoon JH, Madrigal-Matute J, Martin-Ventura JL, Vo DT, Uren PJ, Penalva LO, Gorospe M, Fernández-Hernando C, J. Lipid Res. 2014 06 55 6 1066-76
- Genomic analyses reveal broad impact of miR-137 on genes associated with malignant transformation and neuronal differentiation in glioblastoma cells.
- Tamim S, Vo DT, Uren PJ, Qiao M, Bindewald E, Kasprzak WK, Shapiro BA, Nakaya HI, Burns SC, Araujo PR, Nakano I, Radek AJ, Kuersten S, Smith AD, Penalva LO, PLoS ONE 2014 9 1 e85591
- The RNA-binding protein Musashi1 affects medulloblastoma growth via a network of cancer-related genes and is an indicator of poor prognosis.
- Vo DT, Subramaniam D, Remke M, Burton TL, Uren PJ, Gelfond JA, de Sousa Abreu R, Burns SC, Qiao M, Suresh U, Korshunov A, Dubuc AM, Northcott PA, Smith AD, Pfister SM, Taylor MD, Janga SC, Anant S, Vogel C, Penalva LO, Am. J. Pathol. 2012 Nov 181 5 1762-72
The Musashi1 RNA-Binding Protein: A Critical Regulator in Glioblastoma. In Molecular Targets of CNS Tumors
Vo DT, Sandhu D, Gelfond JA, Penalva LO (2011). InTech
Computational challenges, tools and resources for analyzing co- and post-transcriptional events in high throughput
Bahrami-Samani E, Vo DT, de Araujo PR, Vogel C, Smith AD, Penalva LO, Uren PJ (2014). Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: RNA
Post-transcriptional gene networks, Encyclopedia of Systems Biology
Penalva LO, Vo DT, Boutz D, Smith AD (2012). Springer
Musashi1: an RBP with versatile functions in normal and?cancer stem cells
Glazer RI, Vo DT, Penalva LO (2012). Front Biosci (Landmark Ed),
Honors & Awards
- ASTRO Annual Meeting Resident Poster Viewing Recognition Award
- American College of Radiation Oncology Resident Seed Grant
- Barbara Bowman Student of the Year Award
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2012)
- Rennels Memorial Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2011)
- American Association of Cancer Research
- American Brachytherapy Society
- American College of Radiation Oncology
- American Society for Clinical Oncology
- American Society for Radiation Oncology
- Radiological Society of North America
- RNA Society