Chunyu Cai, M.D., Ph.D.
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Cai is a practicing neuropathologist and associate professor in the Pathology Department at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX. He received his medical degree from Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China, PhD degree from Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, and pathology residency and fellowship training at Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO.
UTSW Medical Center is the largest referring center for muscle and nerve biopsies in Texas and receives biopsies specimens from over 100 institutions over a 6-state area. Dr. Cai's main clinical and research interests focus on the diagnosis of neuromuscular diseases. Dr. Cai published multiple articles on the diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy, inflammatory myopathies, congenital myopathy, and muscular dystrophies.
- Medical School
- Beijing Medical University, China (2001)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Wesleyan University (2008)
- Graduate School
- Wesleyan University (2008), Biology
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
- University of Connecticut Health Center (2010), Neuroscience
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2014), Anatomic/neuropathology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2015), Surgical Pathology
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Tumor ischemia and radio-resistance
- What's new in neuromuscular pathology 2022: myopathy updates and gene therapies.
- Cai C, J Pathol Transl Med 2023 Jan 57 1 79-80
- Epigenetic and genomic profiling of chordoid meningioma: implications for clinical management.
- Daoud EV, Zhu K, Mickey B, Mohamed H, Wen M, Delorenzo M, Tran I, Serrano J, Hatanpaa KJ, Raisanen JM, Snuderl M, Cai C, Acta Neuropathol Commun 2022 Apr 10 1 56
- The efficacy of immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis of molecular genetic alterations in central nervous system gliomas: Next-generation sequencing of 212 mutations in 112 patients.
- Daoud EV, Chkheidze R, Yell PC, Hatanpaa KJ, Raisanen JM, Cai C, Clin Neuropathol 2021 Oct
- SWI/SNF deficient central nervous system neoplasms.
- Cai C, Semin Diagn Pathol 2021 May 38 3 167-174
- Distinct tissue injury patterns in juvenile dermatomyositis auto-antibody subgroups.
- Nguyen M, Do V, Yell PC, Jo C, Liu J, Burns DK, Wright T, Cai C, Acta Neuropathol Commun 2020 Aug 8 1 125
- A pattern-based approach to the interpretation of skeletal muscle biopsies.
- Cai C, Anthony DC, Pytel P Mod. Pathol. 2018 Nov
- Diffuse microvascular C5b-9 deposition is a common feature in muscle and nerve biopsies from diabetic patients.
- Yell PC, Burns DK, Dittmar EG, White CL, Cai C Acta Neuropathol Commun 2018 Feb 6 1 11
- Morin Stain Detects Aluminum-Containing Macrophages in Macrophagic Myofasciitis and Vaccination Granuloma With High Sensitivity and Specificity.
- Chkheidze R, Burns DK, White CL, Castro D, Fuller J, Cai C J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2017 Mar
- A Mitofusin 2 - Hif1a axis sets a maturation checkpoint in regenerating skeletal muscle.
- Wang X, Jia Y, Zhao J, Lesner NP, Menezes CJ, Shelton SD, Venigalla SSK, Xu J, Cai C, Mishra P, J Clin Invest 2022 Sep
- Biallelic variants in TAMM41 are associated with low muscle cardiolipin levels, leading to neonatal mitochondrial disease.
- Thompson K, Bianchi L, Rastelli F, Piron-Prunier F, Ayciriex S, Besmond C, Hubert L, Barth M, Barbosa IA, Deshpande C, Chitre M, Mehta SG, Wever EJM, Marcorelles P, Donkervoort S, Saade D, Bönnemann CG, Chao KR, Cai C, Iannaccone ST, Dean AF, McFarland R, Vaz FM, Delahodde A, Taylor RW, Rötig A, HGG Adv 2022 Apr 3 2 100097
A case-based guide to neuromuscular pathology
Lan Zhou, Dennis K. Burns, Chunyu Cai (Ed.) (2019). Switzerland, Springer
Honors & Awards
- Keifer Graduate Research Award, Wesleyan University
- Leadership Emerging in Academic Department (LEAD)
Junior Faculty LEAD Program for Physician &Scientists
- Outstanding Student Award, Beijing Medical University
- Pathologyoutlines (2020)
- Chinese American Pathologists Association (CAPA) (2018)
- Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology (JNEN) (2018)
- Texas Medical Association (2017)
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) (2015)
- American Association of Neuropathologists (AANP) (2014)
- American Board of Pathology (ABP) (2014)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP) (2014)