Dr. Cai is a practicing neuropathologist and assistant professor in the Pathology Department at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX. He received his medical degree from Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China, PhD degree from Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT, and pathology residency and fellowship training at Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO.
UTSW Medical Center is the largest referring center for muscle and nerve biopsies in Texas and receives biopsies specimens from over 100 institutions over a 6-state area. Dr. Cai's main clinical and research interests focus on the diagnosis of peripheral muscle and nerve diseases. We are the first and only clinical laboratory in the United States that has validated Morin stain for the diagnosis of macrophagic myofasciitis, a treatable, vaccine related inflammatory condition. Dr. Cai also published multiple articles on the diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy, inflammatory myopathies, congenital myopathy, and muscular dystrophies.
- Medical School
- Beijing Medical University, China (2001)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Wesleyan University (2008)
- Graduate School
- Wesleyan University (2008), Biology
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
- University of Connecticut Health Center (2010), Neuroscience
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2014), Anatomic/neuropathology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2015), Surgical Pathology
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Tumor ischemia and radio-resistance
- Distinct tissue injury patterns in juvenile dermatomyositis auto-antibody subgroups.
- Nguyen M, Do V, Yell PC, Jo C, Liu J, Burns DK, Wright T, Cai C, Acta Neuropathol Commun 2020 Aug 8 1 125
- A pattern-based approach to the interpretation of skeletal muscle biopsies.
- Cai C, Anthony DC, Pytel P Mod. Pathol. 2018 Nov
- Diffuse microvascular C5b-9 deposition is a common feature in muscle and nerve biopsies from diabetic patients.
- Yell PC, Burns DK, Dittmar EG, White CL, Cai C Acta Neuropathol Commun 2018 Feb 6 1 11
- Morin Stain Detects Aluminum-Containing Macrophages in Macrophagic Myofasciitis and Vaccination Granuloma With High Sensitivity and Specificity.
- Chkheidze R, Burns DK, White CL, Castro D, Fuller J, Cai C J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2017 Mar
- Biallelic loss of function variants in SYT2 cause a treatable congenital onset presynaptic myasthenic syndrome.
- Donkervoort S, Mohassel P, Laugwitz L, Zaki MS, Kamsteeg EJ, Maroofian R, Chao KR, Verschuuren-Bemelmans CC, Horber V, Fock AJM, McCarty RM, Jain MS, Biancavilla V, McMacken G, Nalls M, Voermans NC, Elbendary HM, Snyder M, Cai C, Lehky TJ, Stanley V, Iannaccone ST, Foley AR, Lochmüller H, Gleeson J, Houlden H, Haack TB, Horvath R, Bönnemann CG, Am. J. Med. Genet. A 2020 Aug
- Multi-Site Optical Monitoring of Spinal Cord Ischemia During Spine Distraction.
- Busch D, Lin W, Cai C, Cutrone AM, Tatka J, Kovarovic BJ, Yodh AG, Floyd TF, Barsi J, J. Neurotrauma 2020 May
- Utility of copy number variants in the classification of intracranial ependymoma.
- Evenson M, Cai C, Hucthagowder V, McNulty S, Neidich J, Kulkarni S, Dahiya S, Cancer Genet 2020 01 240 66-72
- Role of Nerve and Muscle Biopsies in Pediatric Patients in the Era of Genetic Testing.
- Yang K, Iannaccone S, Burkhalter LS, Reisch J, Cai C, Schindel D, J Surg Res 2019 11 243 27-32
- Distinct Expression Patterns of Carbonic Anhydrase IX in Clear Cell, Microcystic, and Angiomatous Meningiomas.
- Chkheidze R, Cimino PJ, Hatanpaa KJ, White CL, Ferreira M, Piccirillo SGM, Li L, Rajaram S, Nyagilo JO, Burns DK, Raisanen JM, Cai C, J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2019 Sep
- Long non-coding RNAs mortal obligate RNA transcript regulates the proliferation of human periodontal ligament stem cells and affects the recurrence of periodontitis.
- Wang Y, Sun Y, Zheng P, Cai C, Jiang Y, Zhang H, Li Z, Cai Q, Arch. Oral Biol. 2019 Sep 105 1-4
A case-based guide to neuromuscular pathology
Lan Zhou, Dennis K. Burns, Chunyu Cai (Ed.) (2019). Switzerland, Springer
Honors & Awards
- Keifer Graduate Research Award, Wesleyan University
- Leadership Emerging in Academic Department (LEAD)
Junior Faculty LEAD Program for Physician &Scientists
- Outstanding Student Award, Beijing Medical University
- Pathologyoutlines (2020)
- Chinese American Pathologists Association (CAPA) (2018)
- Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology (JNEN) (2018)
- Texas Medical Association (2017)
- College of American Pathologists (CAP) (2015)
- American Association of Neuropathologists (AANP) (2014)
- American Board of Pathology (ABP) (2014)
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP) (2014)