Smitha Vidi is a pediatric nephrologist at UTSW/ Children’s Medical Center who specializes in the management of kidney diseases in children. After graduating from Madras Medical College in India, she did pediatric training in the United Kingdom prior to moving to the United States. Dr. Vidi was a research fellow in pediatric nephrology at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School in Boston where she also completed her pediatric residency training. She did her fellowship in pediatric nephrology at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. She worked as an assistant professor of pediatrics at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York, NY after completing her fellowship and prior to joining the Children’s Medical Center at Dallas.
Dr. Vidi received the international award for excellence in published clinical research in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism in 2010 and also won the fellow’s presentation award by the American Society of Pediatric Nephrology and research poster day award at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in 2014.
She manages and treats patients with hypertension, chronic kidney diseases, patients on hemodialysis & peritoneal dialysis and renal transplant recipients. Her clinical interests are hypertension, glomerulonephritis and nephrotic syndrome.
- Medical School
- Madras Medical College, the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University (2002)
- Royal College of Pediatrics & Child Health (2006), Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital (2011), Pediatrics
- University of Pennsylvania/The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2014), Pediatric Nephrology
- Deletion of the noncoding GNAS antisense transcript causes pseudohypoparathyroidism type Ib and biparental defects of GNAS methylation in cis.
- Chillambhi S, Turan S, Hwang DY, Chen HC, Jüppner H, Bastepe M J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010 Aug 95 8 3993-4002
Secondary Forms of Hypertension in Children and Adolescents. In Flynn JT, Ingelfinger JR, Portman RJ, eds. Pediatric Hypertension. 3rd ed.
Vidi SR, Meyers KEC. (2013). New York: Springer; 309-322.
Rheumatology. In Prasad P, ed. Pocket Pediatrics: The Massachusetts General Hospital for Children Handbook of Pediatrics. 1st ed.
Griffin A, Palakshappa D, Aftandilian C, Vyas KB, Chillambhi S, Rothermel H. (2010). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Honors & Awards
- Fellows Presentation Award
American Society of Pediatric Nephrology (2014)
- International Award for Excellence in Published Clinical Research
The Endocrine Society and Pfizer, Inc. (2011)
- American Society of Pediatric Nephrology Resident Travel Grant
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- National Kidney Foundation