Dr. Yek is originally from Singapore and received her medical training at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. After completing her medical training Dr. Yek worked as a physician in the National Health Service of the UK before moving to San Diego, CA, where she held a position as Postdoctoral scholar in the laboratory of Dr. Douglas Richman at the University of California San Diego Center for AIDS Research. During this time she conducted research exploring the mechanisms and reversal of HIV latency in ex vivo models, and examining the biologic correlates of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder. Dr. Yek joined the UTSW Internal Medicine Residency Program in 2015 and completed her residency in June 2018, after which she remained at UTSW for an additional year of Chief Residency. Dr Yek’s clinical interests include Infectious Diseases, Critical Care, and Public Health, with a particular focus on emerging pathogens and virology.
- Epidemiology of Emerging Infections
- Immunological Mechanisms of Infectious Disease
- Viral Pathogenesis
- Influenza Vaccination Can Broadly Activate the HIV Reservoir During Antiretroviral Therapy.
- Christensen-Quick A, Chaillon A, Yek C, Zanini F, Jordan P, Ignacio C, Caballero G, Gianella S, Smith D J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2018 Aug
- Edema and Ulceration of the Lower Extremities-All That's Red Is Not Infection: A Teachable Moment.
- Yek C, Hendren NS, Dominguez AR JAMA Intern Med 2018 Feb 178 2 277-278
- Effectiveness of direct-acting antiviral therapy for hepatitis C in difficult-to-treat patients in a safety-net health system: a retrospective cohort study.
- Yek C, de la Flor C, Marshall J, Zoellner C, Thompson G, Quirk L, Mayorga C, Turner BJ, Singal AG, Jain MK BMC Med 2017 11 15 1 204
- Evaluation of the Aptima HIV-1 Quant Dx Assay for HIV-1 RNA Quantitation in Different Biological Specimen Types.
- Yek C, Massanella M, Peling T, Lednovich K, Nair SV, Worlock A, Vargas M, Gianella S, Ellis RJ, Strain MC, Busch MP, Nugent CT, Richman DD J. Clin. Microbiol. 2017 08 55 8 2544-2553
- Disseminated histoplasmosis presenting as multiple oral ulcers.
- Hendren N, Yek C, Mull J, Cutrell JB BMJ Case Rep 2017 Jul 2017
- Phenytoin Toxicity.
- Gupta A, Yek C, Hendler RS JAMA 2017 Jun 317 23 2445-2446
- Fever and a Pustular Rash.
- Yek C, Gupta A, Mauskar M JAMA 2017 02 317 6 637-638
- Painful purpura associated with exposure to levamisole-adulterated cocaine.
- Yek C, Li X, Mauskar M BMJ Case Rep 2017 Jan 2017
- Standard vaccines increase HIV-1 transcription during antiretroviral therapy.
- Yek C, Gianella S, Plana M, Castro P, Scheffler K, García F, Massanella M, Smith DM AIDS 2016 09 30 15 2289-98
- Characterization of the stop codon readthrough signal of Colorado tick fever virus segment 9 RNA.
- Napthine S, Yek C, Powell ML, Brown TD, Brierley I RNA 2012 Feb 18 2 241-52
Honors & Awards
- Ellwood Jones Award
UT Southwestern (2018)
- Most Published Resident
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Residency Class of 2018 (2018)
- Resident Award
American Transplant Congress (2017)
- 1st Prize in Clinical Research, Donald W. Seldin Internal Medicine Research Symposium
UT Southwestern (2016)
- Young Investigator Award
Conference for Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (2016)
- Young Investigator Award
Conference for Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2018)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (2018)