Andrew Czysz, M.D., Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. Czysz earned both his medical degree and a doctoral degree in neuroscience at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He then completed a research-track residency in psychiatry at UT Southwestern. Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2019.
Dr. Czysz has published numerous academic articles and is involved with several clinical trials and other research projects related to depression at the Center for Depression Research and Clinical Care. His work includes understanding novel treatments for depression, such as esketamine and rTMS. He also studies the use of biomarkers to better understand the biology of depression in order to help match patients with the best treatment.
In 2019, he earned a New Investigator Award from the American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology.
- Medical School
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago (2015)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2019), Psychiatry
- Biomarkers in Depression
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- Can targeted metabolomics predict depression recovery? Results from the CO-MED trial.
- Czysz AH, South C, Gadad BS, Arning E, Soyombo A, Bottiglieri T, Trivedi MH, Transl Psychiatry 2019 01 9 1 11
- Adiponectin Moderates Antidepressant Treatment Outcome in the Combining Medications to Enhance Depression Outcomes Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Furman JL, Soyombo A, Czysz AH, Jha MK, Carmody TJ, Mason BL, Scherer PE, Trivedi MH, Pers Med Psychiatry 2018 Aug-Sep 9-10 1-7
- Differential effects of antidepressants escitalopram versus lithium on Gs alpha membrane relocalization.
- Donati RJ, Schappi J, Czysz AH, Jackson A, Rasenick MM, BMC Neurosci 2015 Jul 16 40
- Lateral diffusion of Gas in the plasma membrane is decreased after chronic but not acute antidepressant treatment: role of lipid raft and non-raft membrane microdomains.
- Czysz AH, Schappi JM, Rasenick MM, Neuropsychopharmacology 2015 Feb 40 3 766-73
- G-protein signaling, lipid rafts and the possible sites of action for the antidepressant effects of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Czysz AH, Rasenick MM, CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 2013 Jun 12 4 466-73
Probiotics and Nutraceuticals. In Primer on Depression
Mason, B.L., Czysz A.H. (2019). Oxford, UK`, Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology New Investigator Award