Lukasz Joachimiak received his B.S. in Biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2000. He received his Ph.D. in 2007 working in the lab of David Baker at University of Washington where he established computational tools to define the energetic and structural principles that underlie protein-protein interactions. He completed his postdoctoral work with Judith Frydman at Stanford University where he developed innovative approaches to understand the structure and mechanics of substrate interaction by the eukaryotic chaperonin TRiC/CCT.
At UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dr. Joachimiak's laboratory will utilize structural and biochemical approaches to dissect the role of chaperones and protein misfolding in neurodegenerative diseases. His group is also interested in integrating experimental and computational methods to predict the structures of protein complexes not tractable by classical structural biology techniques.
- Uni of Wisconsin-Madison (2001), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Washington (2007), Biochemistry
- Chaperone structual biology
- Molecular recognition and specificity
- DnaJC7 binds natively folded structural elements in tau to inhibit amyloid formation.
- Hou Z, Wydorski PM, Perez VA, Mendoza-Oliva A, Ryder BD, Mirbaha H, Kashmer O, Joachimiak LA, Nat Commun 2021 09 12 1 5338
- Biophysical properties of a tau seed.
- Hou Z, Chen D, Ryder BD, Joachimiak LA, Sci Rep 2021 Jun 11 1 13602
- Tau strains shape disease.
- Vaquer-Alicea J, Diamond MI, Joachimiak LA, Acta Neuropathol 2021 Apr
- Regulatory inter-domain interactions influence Hsp70 recruitment to the DnaJB8 chaperone.
- Ryder BD, Matlahov I, Bali S, Vaquer-Alicea J, van der Wel PCA, Joachimiak LA, Nat Commun 2021 02 12 1 946
- Tau local structure shields an amyloid-forming motif and controls aggregation propensity.
- Chen D, Drombosky KW, Hou Z, Sari L, Kashmer OM, Ryder BD, Perez VA, Woodard DR, Lin MM, Diamond MI, Joachimiak LA, Nat Commun 2019 06 10 1 2493
- Inert and seed-competent tau monomers suggest structural origins of aggregation.
- Mirbaha H, Chen D, Morazova OA, Ruff KM, Sharma AM, Liu X, Goodarzi M, Pappu RV, Colby DW, Mirzaei H, Joachimiak LA, Diamond MI Elife 2018 Jul 7
- Cross-Linking Mass Spectrometry Analysis of Metastable Compact Structures in Intrinsically Disordered Proteins.
- Chen D, Joachimiak LA, Methods Mol Biol 2023 2551 189-201
- Development of a New DHFR-Based Destabilizing Domain with Enhanced Basal Turnover and Applicability in Mammalian Systems.
- Nakahara E, Mullapudi V, Collier GE, Joachimiak LA, Hulleman JD, ACS Chem Biol 2022 Sep
- The interactions that shape amyloid fibrils in disease.
- Joachimiak LA, Structure 2022 Aug 30 8 1045-1047
- Seed-competent tau monomer initiates pathology in a tauopathy mouse model.
- Mirbaha H, Chen D, Mullapudi V, Terpack SJ, White CL, Joachimiak LA, Diamond MI, J Biol Chem 2022 Jun 102163
Honors & Awards
- Endowed Scholar Award