Christopher Heid, M.D.
Department Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Christopher Heid, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He specializes in adult cardiac surgery.
After earning his medical degree at the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dr. Heid completed residencies in general surgery and thoracic surgery at UT Southwestern. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
Dr. Heid’s clinical interests include coronary artery bypass surgery, valve repair and replacement, aortic surgery, heart and lung transplantation, and pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) in patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH).
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Heid is an active researcher in the field of adult cardiac surgery and cardiothoracic transplantation. He directs a research laboratory focusing on using institutional and national database registries to better understand clinical outcomes in cardiac surgery.
He has published articles in peer-reviewed journals such as the Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Clinical Transplantation, Journal of Surgical Research, and Cancers, and is the author of two chapters of the third edition of the Thoracic Surgery Residents Association Review of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Dr. Heid also serves as a reviewer for several peer-reviewed journals.
In 2016, Dr. Heid earned the Excellence in Resident Quality Improvement Award at UT Southwestern. In 2022, Dr. Heid’s research was awarded the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award at the UT Southwestern Surgery Research Forum.
Outside of the operating room, Dr. Heid enjoys traveling and scuba diving with his wife, as well as golfing, running, reading, and watching sports.
- Adult cardiac surgery
- Cardiothoracic transplantation
- Health care disparities
- Renal injuries after cardiac surgery
- Medical School
- Wright State University (2015)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2019), Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020), Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2022), Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
- Understanding who benefits from endovascular aortic repair in those deemed unfit for open repair.
- Khoury MK, Heid CA, Rectenwald JE, Acher CW, Tsai S, Ramanan B, Timaran CH, Modrall JG, J Vasc Surg 2022 Aug 76 2 419-427.e3
- Endovascular Aortic Repair in Patients of Advanced Age.
- Khoury MK, Thornton MA, Heid CA, Babb J, Ramanan B, Tsai S, Kirkwood ML, Timaran CH, Modrall JG, J Endovasc Ther 2022 06 29 3 381-388
- Gemella morbillorum mitral valve endocarditis in a patient with a history of mitral valve annuloplasty.
- Liu CR, Heid CA, Chandra R, Hauptmann E, Brickner ME, Hwang M, Wait MA, BMJ Case Rep 2022 Apr 15 4
- Commentary: To vent or not, that is the question.
- Heid CA, Davies R Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Open 2022 9 144-145
- Successful percutaneous mechanical suction thrombectomy of extracorporeal filtration system following bilateral lung transplantation secondary to COVID-pneumonia
- Vela R, Heid C, Huffman L, Hackmann A, Peltz M Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2022 4 41 s374-375
- The Colorectal Cancer Tumor Microenvironment and Its Impact on Liver and Lung Metastasis.
- Chandra R, Karalis JD, Liu C, Murimwa GZ, Voth Park J, Heid CA, Reznik SI, Huang E, Minna JD, Brekken RA, Cancers (Basel) 2021 Dec 13 24
- Cardiac transplantation in adults with congenital heart disease: A single center case series.
- Heid CA, Chandra R, Liu C, Pruszynski J, Khoury MK, Vela R, Zeng X, Maaraoui K, Kalsbeek A, Ring WS, Amin A, Murala J, Peltz M, Clin Transplant 2021 10 35 10 e14430
- Risk Factors for Nonhome Discharge After Esophagectomy for Neoplastic Disease.
- Heid CA, Khoury MK, Thornton MA, Geoffrion TR, De Hoyos AL, Ann Thorac Surg 2021 04 111 4 1118-1124
- Metastatic signet ring cell carcinoma masquerading as acute on chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension requiring ECMO.
- Beauchamp D, Heid CA, Herbert C, Timmons C, Green M, Wait MA, Pirolli TJ Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2021 4 40 s467
- Renal decline following heart transplant
- Heid CA, Khoury MK, Harrirah O, Maaraoui K, Kalsbeek A, Ring WS, Jessen ME, Peltz M Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2021 4 40 s200-201