I was trained as a computational biologist with expertise in biology and computer science. At the University of California, Davis I was first exposed to 454-sequencing, to identify genetic variants, and the revolution of Next-generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies and large-scale data analysis. I quickly became aware of the amount of data that would be generated and the need for a robust and reproducible analysis pipelines. As I developed software and algorithms I also began to see the power of data integration for the purpose of elucidating biological mechanisms as well as the need of public data resources. Before re-entering bioinformatics, I spent two years as a software developer with Infosys. I developed and maintained a suite of large-scale customer relational management tools. This experience gave me insight into industry standards of software design and implantation as well as into data management. It also inspired me to apply these same standards to biological databases in research settings. Large quantitative datasets using global studies extend our knowledge of genes, their products and their interactions. By integrating quantitative datasets with curated, focused experimental and clinical data creates unique comprehensive databases. I have been involved in the design and implementation of databases, ENCODE (Encyclopedia of DNA Elements) and UCSC Genome Browser Projects, integrating scientific information into encyclopedic databases essential for investigation. While on these projects, I also implemented genomic analysis pipelines to facilitate reproducible data analysis in the Amazon Cloud (AWS). Using these approaches, I have been focused on the implementing, optimizing and distributing genomic analysis pipelines to facilitate reproducible data analysis.
In 2014, I moved to UT Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) and took the opportunity of my position first as a computational biologist in the Green Center for Reproductive Biological Sciences and then in the Bioinformatics Core Facility to further understanding of the human genome by integration of large-scale functional and comparative genomics datasets in cancer. Specifically, in the Lonestar Oncology Network for Epigenetics Therapy and Research (LONESTAR) Consortium, I developed a multi-omics integration pipeline that identifies breast cancer subtype-specific transcription factors (TFs) bound at active enhancers that regulate gene expression patterns determining growth and clinical outcomes. I applied these approaches, in collaboration with Dr. Ping Mu (prostate cancer cell biology), to identify the enhancer landscape and key TFs driving prostate cancer resistance leading to new clinical targets. Currently, I am working on integrating multiple -omics assays to understand transcription factors driving gene regulatory networks in human cancers.
As the co-lead of the Data Analytics Core of the UT Southwestern Kidney Cancer SPORE (Dr. James Brugarolas), I developed the Kidney Cancer Explorer (KCE), facilitate hypothesis generation from clinical and genomic data. Using this framework for KCE, we aim at expanding this project to create a pan-cancer data commons (PC-DC), which will allow researchers to build patient cohorts based on clinical, pathological and genomic information, allowing researchers to identify molecular treads with clinical attributes or vice-versa.
- (2008), Biology
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins University (2011), Biology
- Chromatin structure and gene regulation
- Comprehensive Scientific Databases
- Data integration
- Reproducibility and Open Science
- ENCODE data at the ENCODE portal.
- Sloan CA, Chan ET, Davidson JM, Malladi VS, Strattan JS, Hitz BC, Gabdank I, Narayanan AK, Ho M, Lee BT, Rowe LD, Dreszer TR, Roe G, Podduturi NR, Tanaka F, Hong EL, Cherry JM, Nucleic Acids Res. 2016 Jan 44 D1 D726-32
- A comparative encyclopedia of DNA elements in the mouse genome.
- Yue F, Cheng Y, Breschi A, Vierstra J, Wu W, Ryba T, Sandstrom R, Ma Z, Davis C, Pope BD, Shen Y, Pervouchine DD, Djebali S, Thurman RE, Kaul R, Rynes E, Kirilusha A, Marinov GK, Williams BA, Trout D, Amrhein H, Fisher-Aylor K, Antoshechkin I, DeSalvo G, See LH, Fastuca M, Drenkow J, Zaleski C, Dobin A, Prieto P, Lagarde J, Bussotti G, Tanzer A, Denas O, Li K, Bender MA, Zhang M, Byron R, Groudine MT, McCleary D, Pham L, Ye Z, Kuan S, Edsall L, Wu YC, Rasmussen MD, Bansal MS, Kellis M, Keller CA, Morrissey CS, Mishra T, Jain D, Dogan N, Harris RS, Cayting P, Kawli T, Boyle AP, Euskirchen G, Kundaje A, Lin S, Lin Y, Jansen C, Malladi VS, Cline MS, Erickson DT, Kirkup VM, Learned K, Sloan CA, Rosenbloom KR, Lacerda de Sousa B, Beal K, Pignatelli M, Flicek P, Lian J, Kahveci T, Lee D, Kent WJ, Ramalho Santos M, Herrero J, Notredame C, Johnson A, Vong S, Lee K, Bates D, Neri F, Diegel M, Canfield T, Sabo PJ, Wilken MS, Reh TA, Giste E, Shafer A, Kutyavin T, Haugen E, Dunn D, Reynolds AP, Neph S, Humbert R, Hansen RS, De Bruijn M, Selleri L, Rudensky A, Josefowicz S, Samstein R, Eichler EE, Orkin SH, Levasseur D, Papayannopoulou T, Chang KH, Skoultchi A, Gosh S, Disteche C, Treuting P, Wang Y, Weiss MJ, Blobel GA, Cao X, Zhong S, Wang T, Good PJ, Lowdon RF, Adams LB, Zhou XQ, Pazin MJ, Feingold EA, Wold B, Taylor J, Mortazavi A, Weissman SM, Stamatoyannopoulos JA, Snyder MP, Guigo R, Gingeras TR, Gilbert DM, Hardison RC, Beer MA, Ren B, Nature 2014 Nov 515 7527 355-64
- ENCODE data in the UCSC Genome Browser: year 5 update.
- Rosenbloom KR, Sloan CA, Malladi VS, Dreszer TR, Learned K, Kirkup VM, Wong MC, Maddren M, Fang R, Heitner SG, Lee BT, Barber GP, Harte RA, Diekhans M, Long JC, Wilder SP, Zweig AS, Karolchik D, Kuhn RM, Haussler D, Kent WJ, Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Jan 41 Database issue D56-63
- The UCSC Genome Browser database: extensions and updates 2013.
- Meyer LR, Zweig AS, Hinrichs AS, Karolchik D, Kuhn RM, Wong M, Sloan CA, Rosenbloom KR, Roe G, Rhead B, Raney BJ, Pohl A, Malladi VS, Li CH, Lee BT, Learned K, Kirkup V, Hsu F, Heitner S, Harte RA, Haeussler M, Guruvadoo L, Goldman M, Giardine BM, Fujita PA, Dreszer TR, Diekhans M, Cline MS, Clawson H, Barber GP, Haussler D, Kent WJ, Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Jan 41 Database issue D64-9
- An encyclopedia of mouse DNA elements (Mouse ENCODE).
- Stamatoyannopoulos JA, Snyder M, Hardison R, Ren B, Gingeras T, Gilbert DM, Groudine M, Bender M, Kaul R, Canfield T, Giste E, Johnson A, Zhang M, Balasundaram G, Byron R, Roach V, Sabo PJ, Sandstrom R, Stehling AS, Thurman RE, Weissman SM, Cayting P, Hariharan M, Lian J, Cheng Y, Landt SG, Ma Z, Wold BJ, Dekker J, Crawford GE, Keller CA, Wu W, Morrissey C, Kumar SA, Mishra T, Jain D, Byrska-Bishop M, Blankenberg D, Lajoie BR, Jain G, Sanyal A, Chen KB, Denas O, Taylor J, Blobel GA, Weiss MJ, Pimkin M, Deng W, Marinov GK, Williams BA, Fisher-Aylor KI, Desalvo G, Kiralusha A, Trout D, Amrhein H, Mortazavi A, Edsall L, McCleary D, Kuan S, Shen Y, Yue F, Ye Z, Davis CA, Zaleski C, Jha S, Xue C, Dobin A, Lin W, Fastuca M, Wang H, Guigo R, Djebali S, Lagarde J, Ryba T, Sasaki T, Malladi VS, Cline MS, Kirkup VM, Learned K, Rosenbloom KR, Kent WJ, Feingold EA, Good PJ, Pazin M, Lowdon RF, Adams LB, Genome Biol. 2012 Aug 13 8 418
- The UCSC Genome Browser database: extensions and updates 2011.
- Dreszer TR, Karolchik D, Zweig AS, Hinrichs AS, Raney BJ, Kuhn RM, Meyer LR, Wong M, Sloan CA, Rosenbloom KR, Roe G, Rhead B, Pohl A, Malladi VS, Li CH, Learned K, Kirkup V, Hsu F, Harte RA, Guruvadoo L, Goldman M, Giardine BM, Fujita PA, Diekhans M, Cline MS, Clawson H, Barber GP, Haussler D, James Kent W, Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Jan 40 Database issue D918-23
- ENCODE whole-genome data in the UCSC Genome Browser: update 2012.
- Rosenbloom KR, Dreszer TR, Long JC, Malladi VS, Sloan CA, Raney BJ, Cline MS, Karolchik D, Barber GP, Clawson H, Diekhans M, Fujita PA, Goldman M, Gravell RC, Harte RA, Hinrichs AS, Kirkup VM, Kuhn RM, Learned K, Maddren M, Meyer LR, Pohl A, Rhead B, Wong MC, Zweig AS, Haussler D, Kent WJ, Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Jan 40 Database issue D912-7
- Association between hybrid status and reproductive success of captive male and female rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) at the California National Primate Research Center (CNPRC).
- Kanthaswamy S, Clarke PM, Kou A, Malladi V, Trask JS, Smith DG, Am. J. Primatol. 2011 Jul 73 7 671-8
- The effect of SNP discovery method and sample size on estimation of population genetic data for Chinese and Indian rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta).
- Trask JA, Malhi RS, Kanthaswamy S, Johnson J, Garnica WT, Malladi VS, Smith DG, Primates 2011 Apr 52 2 129-38
- ENCODE whole-genome data in the UCSC genome browser (2011 update).
- Raney BJ, Cline MS, Rosenbloom KR, Dreszer TR, Learned K, Barber GP, Meyer LR, Sloan CA, Malladi VS, Roskin KM, Suh BB, Hinrichs AS, Clawson H, Zweig AS, Kirkup V, Fujita PA, Rhead B, Smith KE, Pohl A, Kuhn RM, Karolchik D, Haussler D, Kent WJ, Nucleic Acids Res. 2011 Jan 39 Database issue D871-5