Nicholas Hendren, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Cardiology Division. He specializes in myocarditis, advanced heart failure, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and heart transplant.
Dr. Hendren holds a bachelor's degree in medical microbiology and in immunology and zoology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he also earned his medical degree. He completed a residency in internal medicine, a fellowship in cardiovascular disease, and a fellowship in advanced heart failure and transplant, all at UT Southwestern. He served as Chief Cardiology Fellow during his training.
Board certified in internal medicine and cardiology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2022.
Dr. Hendren is a member of the Heart Failure Society of America, the American College of Cardiology, and the American Heart Association.
He has delivered several presentations, contributed to the book Cardiovascular Medicine and Surgery, and published numerous academic articles related to his areas of expertise. He also serves as a reviewer for the journal Circulation.
During his free time, Dr. Hendren enjoys exploring our national parks, watching baseball, and parenting.
- Medical School
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (2015)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2021), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2022), Heart Failure/cardiac Transplant
- Severe COVID-19 vaccine associated myocarditis: Zebra or unicorn?
- Hendren NS, Carter S, Grodin JL, Int J Cardiol 2021 11 343 197-198
- Association of Body Mass Index and Age With Morbidity and Mortality in Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19: Results From the American Heart Association COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry.
- Hendren NS, de Lemos JA, Ayers C, Das SR, Rao A, Carter S, Rosenblatt A, Walchok J, Omar W, Khera R, Hegde AA, Drazner MH, Neeland IJ, Grodin JL, Circulation 2021 01 143 2 135-144
- Unique Patterns of Cardiovascular Involvement in Coronavirus Disease-2019.
- Hendren NS, Grodin JL, Drazner MH, J Card Fail 2020 Jun 26 6 466-469
- Description and Proposed Management of the Acute COVID-19 Cardiovascular Syndrome.
- Hendren NS, Drazner MH, Bozkurt B, Cooper LT, Circulation 2020 06 141 23 1903-1914
- The Cost of Return to Play Protocols in Collegiate Athletes Recovering from Coronavirus Disease 2019.
- Macnamara JP, McCoy CW, Hendren NS, Tietze DC, Milburn NK, Dabas N, Mitrani RD, Goldberger JJ, Kirk KM, Shah JP, Best TM, Levine BD, Med Sci Sports Exerc 2022 Jul 54 7 1051-1057
- New-Onset Atrial Fibrillation in Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19: Results From the American Heart Association COVID-19 Cardiovascular Registry.
- Rosenblatt AG, Ayers CR, Rao A, Howell SJ, Hendren NS, Zadikany RH, Ebinger JE, Daniels JD, Link MS, de Lemos JA, Das SR, Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2022 05 15 5 e010666
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition, uric acid, and heart failure: correlation without causation?
- Carter S, Hendren NS, Grodin JL, Eur J Heart Fail 2022 Apr
- Prevalence, Characteristics, and Outcomes of COVID-19-Associated Acute Myocarditis.
- Ammirati E, Lupi L, Palazzini M, Hendren NS, Grodin JL, Cannistraci CV, Schmidt M, Hekimian G, Peretto G, Bochaton T, Hayek A, Piriou N, Leonardi S, Guida S, Turco A, Sala S, Uribarri A, Van de Heyning CM, Mapelli M, Campodonico J, Pedrotti P, Barrionuevo Sánchez MI, Ariza Sole A, Marini M, Matassini MV, Vourc'h M, Cannatà A, Bromage DI, Briguglia D, Salamanca J, Diez-Villanueva P, Lehtonen J, Huang F, Russel S, Soriano F, Turrini F, Cipriani M, Bramerio M, Di Pasquale M, Grosu A, Senni M, Farina D, Agostoni P, Rizzo S, De Gaspari M, Marzo F, Duran JM, Adler ED, Giannattasio C, Basso C, McDonagh T, Kerneis M, Combes A, Camici PG, de Lemos JA, Metra M, Circulation 2022 04 145 15 1123-1139
- Phenomapping a Novel Classification System for Patients With Destination Therapy Left Ventricular Assist Devices.
- Hendren NS, Segar MW, Zhong L, Michelis KC, Drazner MH, Young JB, Tang WHW, Pandey A, Grodin JL, Am J Cardiol 2022 02 164 93-99
- Response by Hendren et al to Letter Regarding Article, "Association of Body Mass Index and Age With Morbidity and Mortality in Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19: Results From the American Heart Association COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry".
- Hendren NS, de Lemos JA, Grodin JL, Circulation 2021 07 144 1 e8-e9
Honors & Awards
- Chief Fellow
UT Southwestern Cardiology Fellowship (2021)
- Community Services Award
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (2013)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Heart Failure Society of America