Dr. Thinwa earned her combined medical and doctoral degree in Microbiology and Immunology at the University of Texas Health San Antonio. Drawn by the vast research opportunities at UT Southwestern, she joined the Internal Medicine Physician Scientist Training Program and completed residency and Infectious Diseases fellowship in 2019. Dr. Thinwa’s strong interest in virology and immunology informed her decision to join the lab of Beth Levine for postdoctoral fellowship training. Her research focuses on understanding how a process called autophagy, which serves to break down unwanted cargo in cells, recognizes and eliminates viruses that cause human diseases. Her work is supported by the NIAID K08 grant. Dr. Thinwa’s interests outside of medicine and research include cooking with her husband, traveling and watching movies.
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2013)
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (2015)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2019), Infectious Diseases
- Clinical Research Fellowship
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2021)
- Innate Immunity
- Viral Pathogenesis
- Risk factors for the development of active methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection in patients colonized with MRSA at hospital admission.
- Cadena J, Thinwa J, Walter EA, Frei CR, Am J Infect Control 2016 12 44 12 1617-1621
- Integrin-mediated first signal for inflammasome activation in intestinal epithelial cells.
- Thinwa J, Segovia JA, Bose S, Dube PH, J Immunol 2014 Aug 193 3 1373-82
- Mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent interleukin-1a intracrine signaling is modulated by YopP during Yersinia enterocolitica infection.
- Bose R, Thinwa J, Chaparro P, Zhong Y, Bose S, Zhong G, Dube PH, Infect Immun 2012 Jan 80 1 289-97
Basic Science of Central Nervous System Infections. In Youmans and Winn Neurological Surgery, 8th Ed.
Thinwa, J and Tessier, J (). Elsevier
- Infectious Disease Society of America (2016)