Beverly Rothermel, M.S., M.Phil., Ph.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Cardiology. She holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Molecular Biology, and serves as Co-Director of the training and scientific cores in the Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Cooperative Research Center.
Originally from Elmira, N.Y., Dr. Rothermel earned a bachelor’s degree in biology and biochemistry from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. She then received M.S. and M.Phil. degrees in biology at Yale University, where she also earned a Ph.D. in cellular and developmental biology. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship in biochemistry/molecular genetics and a research fellowship in molecular cardiology at UT Southwestern.
She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2000, and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2012.
Dr. Rothermel’s research interests include molecular and developmental cardiology, intracellular signaling, and circadian rhythms. Her investigations have resulted in more than 75 publications in peer-reviewed journals and contributions to reviews and editorials. Additionally, she has presented her findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Rothermel teaches graduate school courses and oversees student and trainee works-in-progress talks. She mentors students, postdoctoral researchers, and medical students; in addition, her lab regularly hosts high-school and college students for research internships. She lectures nationally and internationally as well.
She holds a patent related to polypeptides known as muscle calcineurin interacting proteins which modulate muscle-cell growth. She is a member of the NIH’s TAG study section (Targeted Therapeutic Approaches to Genetic Disease, and was named an NIH “Super Mentor” for the UT El Paso BUILDing SCHOLARS center of excellence.
- Cornell University (1982), Biology
- Graduate School
- Yale University (1991), Biology
- Circadian Rhythms
- Intracellular Signaling
- Molecular and Developmental Cardiology
- Nuclear-mitochondrial Interactions
- Transcriptional Regulation
- Targets, trafficking, and timing of cardiac autophagy.
- Rotter D, Rothermel BA Pharmacol. Res. 2012 Dec 66 6 494-504
- Sustained hemodynamic stress disrupts normal circadian rhythms in calcineurin-dependent signaling and protein phosphorylation in the heart.
- Sachan N, Dey A, Rotter D, Grinsfelder DB, Battiprolu PK, Sikder D, Copeland V, Oh M, Bush E, Shelton JM, Bibb JA, Hill JA, Rothermel BA Circ. Res. 2011 Feb 108 4 437-45
- Intracellular protein aggregation is a proximal trigger of cardiomyocyte autophagy
- Tannous P, Zhu H, Nemchenko A, Berry JM, Johnstone JL, Shelton JM, Miller FJ, Rothermel BA, Hill JA Circulation 2008 117 3070-3078
- The Down syndrome critical region protein RCAN1 regulates long-term potentiation and memory via inhibition of phosphatase signaling.
- Hoeffer CA, Dey A, Sachan N, Wong H, Patterson RJ, Shelton JM, Richardson JA, Klann E, Rothermel BA J. Neurosci. 2007 Nov 27 48 13161-72
- Calcineurin is necessary for the maintenance but not embryonic development of slow muscle fibers
- Oh M, Rybkin I, Copeland V, Czubryt MP, Shelton J, Richardson JA, Hill JA, de Windt LJ, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN, Rothermel BA Mol Cell Biol 2005 25 6629-6638
- Myocyte-enriched calcineurin interacting protein, MCIP1, inhibits cardiac hypertrophy in vivo
- Rothermel BA, McKinsey TA, Vega RB, Nicol RL, Mammen P, Yang J, Antos CL, Shelton JM, Bassel-Duby R, Olson EN, Williams RS Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2001 98 3328-3333
- Spliced x-box binding protein 1 couples the unfolded protein response to hexosamine biosynthetic pathway.
- Wang ZV, Deng Y, Gao N, Pedrozo Z, Li DL, Morales CR, Criollo A, Luo X, Tan W, Jiang N, Lehrman MA, Rothermel BA, Lee AH, Lavandero S, Mammen PP, Ferdous A, Gillette TG, Scherer PE, Hill JA Cell 2014 Mar 156 6 1179-92
- Cytoglobin modulates myogenic progenitor cell viability and muscle regeneration.
- Singh S, Canseco DC, Manda SM, Shelton JM, Chirumamilla RR, Goetsch SC, Ye Q, Gerard RD, Schneider JW, Richardson JA, Rothermel BA, Mammen PP Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jan 111 1 E129-38
- Regulator of calcineurin 1 modulates expression of innate anxiety and anxiogenic responses to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor treatment.
- Hoeffer CA, Wong H, Cain P, Levenga J, Cowansage KK, Choi Y, Davy C, Majmundar N, McMillan DR, Rothermel BA, Klann E J. Neurosci. 2013 Oct 33 43 16930-44
- Insulin stimulates mitochondrial fusion and function in cardiomyocytes via the Akt-mTOR-NF?B-Opa-1 signaling pathway.
- Parra V, Verdejo HE, Iglewski M, Campo AD, Troncoso R, Jones D, Zhu Y, Kuzmicic J, Pennanen C, Lopez-Crisosto C, Jaña F, Ferreira J, Noguera E, Chiong M, Bernlohr DA, Klip A, Hill JA, Rothermel BA, Abel ED, Zorzano A, Lavandero S Diabetes 2013 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Super Mentor: BUILD (Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity) Program
University of Texas at El Paso (2014-2022)
- Semi-Finalist: Postdoctoral Mentoring Award
UT Southwestern Postdoctoral Association (2012)
- Semi-Finalist: Postdoctoral Mentoring Award
UT Southwestern Postdoctoral Association (2011)
- High Impact/High Risk Award
UT Southwestern (2007-2008)
- Women of Achievement Award for Public Service
Dallas YWCA (2002)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
American Cancer Society (1992-1995)
- Individual National Research Service Award
National Institutes of Health (1988-1990)
- Institutional Research Fellowship
National Institutes of Health (1984-1988)
- National Merit Scholar
National Merit Scholar Organization (1977)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Genetics Society
- American Heart Association
- Genetics Society of America
- Society For Research in Biological Rhythms