Dr. Ross’s research focuses on how cells receive, amplify, integrate, and sort information. The work focuses on the integrated control of cellular signaling pathways, particularly those that involve GTP-binding proteins.
- University of California-Davis (1970), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Cornell University (1975), Biochemistry
- Computational modeling of signaling networks
- Integration of biological signaling
- Interaction of membrane-bound enzymes and hormone receptors
- Mechanisms of G protein-mediated signal transduction
- Structure of G protein-coupled receptors
- Mastoparan, a peptide toxin from wasp venom, mimics receptors by activating GTP-binding regulatory proteins (G proteins).
- Higashijima T, Uzu S, Nakajima T, Ross EM J. Biol. Chem. 1988 May 263 14 6491-4
- Beta-adrenergic receptors display intramolecular disulfide bridges in situ: analysis by immunoblotting and functional reconstitution.
- Moxham CP, Ross EM, George ST, Malbon CC Mol. Pharmacol. 1988 May 33 5 486-92
- Functional domains in the beta-adrenergic receptor.
- Ross EM, Wong SK, Rubenstein RC, Higashijima T Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 1988 53 Pt 1 499-506
- The hydrophobic tryptic core of the beta-adrenergic receptor retains Gs regulatory activity in response to agonists and thiols.
- Rubenstein RC, Wong SK, Ross EM J. Biol. Chem. 1987 Dec 262 34 16655-62
- The effect of activating ligands on the intrinsic fluorescence of guanine nucleotide-binding regulatory proteins.
- Higashijima T, Ferguson KM, Sternweis PC, Ross EM, Smigel MD, Gilman AG J. Biol. Chem. 1987 Jan 262 2 752-6
- Effect of Al3+ plus F- on the catecholamine-stimulated GTPase activity of purified and reconstituted Gs.
- Brandt DR, Ross EM Biochemistry 1986 Nov 25 22 7036-41
- Catecholamine-stimulated GTPase cycle. Multiple sites of regulation by beta-adrenergic receptor and Mg2+ studied in reconstituted receptor-Gs vesicles.
- Brandt DR, Ross EM J. Biol. Chem. 1986 Feb 261 4 1656-64
- Functional activation of beta-adrenergic receptors by thiols in the presence or absence of agonists.
- Pedersen SE, Ross EM J. Biol. Chem. 1985 Nov 260 26 14150-7
Honors & Awards
- NIGMS MERIT Award
- ASPET Goodman and Gilman Award for Drug-Receptor Pharmacology
- Chairman, Gordon Research Conference on Molecular Pharmacology
- Scientific Director, NATO/FEBS Adv. Study Inst. on Biological Signal Transduction
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (Section on Molecular Pharmacology)
- Biophysical Society