Dr. Ross’s research focuses on how cells receive, amplify, integrate, and sort information. The work focuses on the integrated control of cellular signaling pathways, particularly those that involve GTP-binding proteins.
- University of California-Davis (1970), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Cornell University (1975), Biochemistry
- Computational modeling of signaling networks
- Integration of biological signaling
- Interaction of membrane-bound enzymes and hormone receptors
- Mechanisms of G protein-mediated signal transduction
- Structure of G protein-coupled receptors
- Gß? Inhibits G?-GTPase-activating Proteins (GAPs) by Inhibition of Ga-GTP Binding during Stimulation by Receptor
- Tang, W., Tu,Y., Nayak, S.K., Woodson J., Jehl, M. and Ross, E.M. J. Biol. Chem. 2006 281 4746-4753
- Spinophilin regulates Ca2+ signalling by binding the N-terminal domain of RGS2 and the third intracellular loop of G-protein-coupled receptors.
- Wang X, Zeng W, Soyombo AA, Tang W, Ross EM, Barnes AP, Milgram SL, Penninger JM, Allen PB, Greengard P, Muallem S Nat. Cell Biol. 2005 Apr 7 4 405-11
- Uncoupling Conformational Change From GTP Hydrolysis In A Heterotrimeric G Protein alpha Subunit. Proc.
- Thomas, C.J., Du, X., Li, P., Wang, Y., Ross, E.M., Sprang, S.R. Proc.Natl. Acad. Sci. March 2004 101 7560-7565
- Phosphorylation-regulated inhibition of the Gz GTPase-activating protein activity of RGS proteins by synapsin I.
- Tu Y, Nayak SK, Woodson J, Ross EM J. Biol. Chem. 2003 Dec 278 52 52273-81
- Homer 2 tunes G protein-coupled receptors stimulus intensity by regulating RGS proteins and PLCbeta GAP activities.
- Shin DM, Dehoff M, Luo X, Kang SH, Tu J, Nayak SK, Ross EM, Worley PF, Muallem S J. Cell Biol. 2003 Jul 162 2 293-303
- Mutations Of The Carboxyl Terminal Domain Of Phospholipase C-β1 Delineate The Dimer Interface And A Potential Gαq Interaction Site
- Ilkaeva, O., Kinch, L.N., Paulssen, R.H., and Ross, E.M. J. Biol. Chem. February 2002 277 4294-4300
- Mutations in the carboxyl-terminal domain of phospholipase C-beta 1 delineate the dimer interface and a potential Galphaq interaction site.
- Ilkaeva O, Kinch LN, Paulssen RH, Ross EM J. Biol. Chem. 2002 Feb 277 6 4294-300
- Quantitative assays for GTPase-activating proteins.
- Ross EM Meth. Enzymol. 2002 344 601-17
- Quench-flow kinetic measurement of individual reactions of G-protein-catalyzed GTPase cycle.
- Mukhopadhyay S, Ross EM Meth. Enzymol. 2002 344 350-69
- RGSZ1 and Ret RGS: two of several splice variants from the gene RGS20.
- Barker SA, Wang J, Sierra DA, Ross EM Genomics 2001 Dec 78 3 223-9
Honors & Awards
- NIGMS MERIT Award
- ASPET Goodman and Gilman Award for Drug-Receptor Pharmacology
- Chairman, Gordon Research Conference on Molecular Pharmacology
- Scientific Director, NATO/FEBS Adv. Study Inst. on Biological Signal Transduction
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (Section on Molecular Pharmacology)
- Biophysical Society