Dr. Rosenfeld attended college at Emory University and graduated from Emory University School of Medicine. He completed his general training in Pediatrics at Yale-New Haven Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, where he also was Chief Resident. He then spent a year as a Pediatric Pulmonary Fellow with Amile Scarpelli, MD, PhD at Albert Einstein, followed by 2 years in the Perinatal Research Program at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center under the mentoring of Frederick Battaglia, MD and Giacomo Meschia, MD. After joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1973, Dr. Rosenfeld established a perinatal biology laboratory for the study of cardiovascular changes in pregnancy, and in particular, the study of uteroplacental and umbilicoplacental blood flows. He has received nearly continuous funding from NIH for his studies of the mother and fetus for 39 years, as well as other grants, making contributions to our understanding of cardiovascular changes in pregnancy and during fetal and neonatal development. He was the Director of the Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine for nearly 35 years and has provided research training and mentoring for more than 15 fellows in his specialty, 5 in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, and numerous postdoctoral and medical students. His publication record exceeds 200 peer-reviewed articles and chapters in several textbooks. Dr. Rosenfeld was the 2005 recipient of the Founders Award given by the Southern Society for Pediatric Research for his research contributions to child health and was elected a Fellow in the Section of Heart and Circulatory Physiology, American Physiological Society in 2005. He received a 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award and was awarded Emeritus by the University of Texas March 2019.
- Medical School
- Emory University (1966)
- Blood pressure regulation before and after birth
- Cardiovascular role of estrogen in pregnancy
- Development of the renin-angiotensin system
- Mechanisms modulating uteroplacental blood flow
- Lenticulostriate vasculopathy in neonates: Perspective of the radiologist.
- Koral K, Sisman J, Pritchard M, Rosenfeld CR Early Hum. Dev. 2015 Jul 91 7 431-5
- Lenticulostriate vasculopathy in neonates: Is it a marker of cerebral insult? Critical review of the literature.
- Sisman J, Rosenfeld CR Early Hum. Dev. 2015 Jul 91 7 423-6
- Maternal high fat diet is associated with impaired fetal lung development.
- Mayor RS, Finch KE, Zehr J, Morselli E, Neinast MD, Frank AP, Hahner LD, Wang J, Rakheja D, Palmer BF, Rosenfeld CR, Savani RC, Clegg DJ Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2015 Jun ajplung.00105.2015
- Estrogen Replacement Therapy in Ovariectomized Nonpregnant Ewes Stimulates Uterine Artery Hydrogen Sulfide Biosynthesis by Selectively Upregulating Cystathionine ß Synthase Expression.
- Lechuga TJ, Zhang H, Sheibani L, Karim M, Jia J, Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR, Chen DB Endocrinology 2015 Mar en20151086
- Prolonged Uterine Artery Nitric Oxide Synthase Inhibition Modestly Alters Basal Uteroplacental Vasodilation in the Last Third of Ovine Pregnancy.
- Rosenfeld CR, Roy T Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2014 Aug
- Biomarkers for severity of neonatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy and outcomes in newborns receiving hypothermia therapy.
- Chalak LF, Sánchez PJ, Adams-Huet B, Laptook AR, Heyne RJ, Rosenfeld CR J. Pediatr. 2014 Mar 164 3 468-474.e1
- Serial neutrophil values facilitate predicting the absence of neonatal early-onset sepsis.
- Mikhael M, Brown LS, Rosenfeld CR J. Pediatr. 2014 Mar 164 3 522-528.e3
- Neurodevelopmental outcomes of extremely low birth weight infants with spontaneous intestinal perforation or surgical necrotizing enterocolitis.
- Wadhawan R, Oh W, Hintz SR, Blakely ML, Das A, Bell EF, Saha S, Laptook AR, Shankaran S, Stoll BJ, Walsh MC, Higgins RD J Perinatol 2014 Jan 34 1 64-70
- Immunogenicity of Haemophilus influenzae Type b Protein Conjugate Vaccines in Very Low Birth Weight Infants.
- D'Angio CT, Murray TE, Li L, Heyne RJ, O'Shea TM, Schelonka RL, Shankaran S, Duara S, Goldberg RN, Stoll BJ, Stevenson DK, Vohr BR, Phelps DL, Carlo WA, Pichichero ME, Das A, Higgins RD Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2013 Dec 32 12 1400-2
- Apgar scores at 10 min and outcomes at 6-7 years following hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy.
- Natarajan G, Shankaran S, Laptook AR, Pappas A, Bann CM, McDonald SA, Das A, Higgins RD, Hintz SR, Vohr BR Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2013 Nov 98 6 F473-9
Regulation of the Placental Circulation. In Polin RA, Abman SH, Rowitch D, Benitz WE, eds. Fetal and Neonatal Physiology. 5th ed.
Rosenfeld CR. (2016). Philadelphia: Elsevier; 114-120.
Maternal Cardiovascular Alterations during Pregnancy. In Gluckman PS, Heymann MA, eds. Perinatal and Pediatric Pathophysiology: A Clinical Perspective.
Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR. (1993). London: Edward Arnold Publisher.
Eicosanoids and the Regulation of Uteroplacental Hemodynamics. In Mitchell MD, ed. Eicosanoids in Reproduction
Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR. (1990). CRC Press; 139-168.
Honors & Awards
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
Marquis Who's Who Publications Board (2018)
- Top Doctors
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. (2014)
- Top Doctors
US News & World Report (2012)
- Student Teaching Award, Senior Acute Care Medicine
UT Southwestern Medical School (2008)
- Legends Award for Outstanding Service
Parkland Memorial Hospital (2007)
- SSPR Founders Award
Recognition for research contributing to improving child health, Southern Society of Pediatric Research (2005)
- Who's Who in America
- Associate Editor, Reproductive Sciences (JSGI)
Appointed to the initial Editorial Board; evaluating basic research (1993-2018)
- George L. MacGregor Professorship of Pediatrics
Recognition for research contributions in Perinatal Medicine (1993-2019)
- Associate Editor, Early Human Development
Responsible for all manuscripts in the Americas (1986)
- Perinatal Research Society
Recognition for contributions to studies in pregnancy and development (1981)
- American Pediatric Program Directors (2008-2010)
- American Heart Association (1999-2019)
- American Physiologic Society (1985-2019)
- American Pediatric Society (1983)
- Perinatal Research Society (1981)
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation (1978)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1977)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1976)