Dr. Rosenfeld attended college at Emory University and graduated from Emory University School of Medicine. He completed his general training in Pediatrics at Yale-New Haven Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, where he also was Chief Resident. He then spent a year as a Pediatric Pulmonary Fellow with Amile Scarpelli, MD, PhD at Albert Einstein, followed by 2 years in the Perinatal Research Program at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center under the mentoring of Frederick Battaglia, MD and Giacomo Meschia, MD. After joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1973, Dr. Rosenfeld established a perinatal biology laboratory for the study of cardiovascular changes in pregnancy, and in particular, the study of uteroplacental and umbilicoplacental blood flows. He has received nearly continuous funding from NIH for his studies of the mother and fetus for 39 years, as well as other grants, making contributions to our understanding of cardiovascular changes in pregnancy and during fetal and neonatal development. He was the Director of the Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine for nearly 35 years and has provided research training and mentoring for more than 15 fellows in his specialty, 5 in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, and numerous postdoctoral and medical students. His publication record exceeds 200 peer-reviewed articles and chapters in several textbooks. Dr. Rosenfeld was the 2005 recipient of the Founders Award given by the Southern Society for Pediatric Research for his research contributions to child health and was elected a Fellow in the Section of Heart and Circulatory Physiology, American Physiological Society in 2005. He received a 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award and was awarded Emeritus by the University of Texas March 2019.
- Medical School
- Emory University (1966)
- Blood pressure regulation before and after birth
- Cardiovascular role of estrogen in pregnancy
- Development of the renin-angiotensin system
- Mechanisms modulating uteroplacental blood flow
- The small for gestational age infant: accelerated or delayed pulmonary maturation? Increased or decreased survival?
- Tyson JE, Kennedy K, Broyles S, Rosenfeld CR Pediatrics 1995 Apr 95 4 534-8
- Comparison of ANG II in fetal and pregnant sheep: metabolic clearance and vascular sensitivity.
- Rosenfeld CR, Gresores A, Roy TA, Magness RR Am. J. Physiol. 1995 Feb 268 2 Pt 1 E237-47
- Surfactant protein A and saturated phosphatidylcholine in respiratory distress syndrome.
- Moya FR, Montes HF, Thomas VL, Mouzinho AM, Smith JF, Rosenfeld CR Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 1994 Dec 150 6 Pt 1 1672-7
- Angiotensin II metabolic clearance rate and pressor responses in nonpregnant and pregnant women.
- Magness RR, Cox K, Rosenfeld CR, Gant NF Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1994 Sep 171 3 668-79
- Local and systemic estradiol-17 beta: effects on uterine and systemic vasodilation.
- Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR Am. J. Physiol. 1989 Apr 256 4 Pt 1 E536-42
- A prospective comparison of selective and universal electronic fetal monitoring in 34,995 pregnancies.
- Leveno KJ, Cunningham FG, Nelson S, Roark M, Williams ML, Guzick D, Dowling S, Rosenfeld CR, Buckley A N. Engl. J. Med. 1986 Sep 315 10 615-9
- The neonatal blood count in health and disease. I. Reference values for neutrophilic cells.
- Manroe BL, Weinberg AG, Rosenfeld CR, Browne R J. Pediatr. 1979 Jul 95 1 89-98
- The differential leukocyte count in the assessment and outcome of early-onset neonatal group B streptococcal disease.
- Manroe BL, Rosenfeld CR, Weinberg AG, Browne R J. Pediatr. 1977 Oct 91 4 632-7
- Distribution of cardiac output in ovine pregnancy.
- Rosenfeld CR Am. J. Physiol. 1977 Mar 232 3 H231-5
- Effect of estrogens on the uterine blood flow of oophorectomized ewes.
- Killam AP, Rosenfeld CR, Battaglia FC, Makowski EL, Meschia G Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1973 Apr 115 8 1045-52
Regulation of the Placental Circulation. In Polin RA, Abman SH, Rowitch D, Benitz WE, eds. Fetal and Neonatal Physiology. 5th ed.
Rosenfeld CR. (2016). Philadelphia: Elsevier; 114-120.
Maternal Cardiovascular Alterations during Pregnancy. In Gluckman PS, Heymann MA, eds. Perinatal and Pediatric Pathophysiology: A Clinical Perspective.
Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR. (1993). London: Edward Arnold Publisher.
Eicosanoids and the Regulation of Uteroplacental Hemodynamics. In Mitchell MD, ed. Eicosanoids in Reproduction
Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR. (1990). CRC Press; 139-168.
Honors & Awards
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
Marquis Who's Who Publications Board (2018)
- Top Doctors
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. (2014)
- Top Doctors
US News & World Report (2012)
- Student Teaching Award, Senior Acute Care Medicine
UT Southwestern Medical School (2008)
- Legends Award for Outstanding Service
Parkland Memorial Hospital (2007)
- SSPR Founders Award
Recognition for research contributing to improving child health, Southern Society of Pediatric Research (2005)
- Who's Who in America
- Associate Editor, Reproductive Sciences (JSGI)
Appointed to the initial Editorial Board; evaluating basic research (1993-2018)
- George L. MacGregor Professorship of Pediatrics
Recognition for research contributions in Perinatal Medicine (1993-2019)
- Associate Editor, Early Human Development
Responsible for all manuscripts in the Americas (1986)
- Perinatal Research Society
Recognition for contributions to studies in pregnancy and development (1981)
- American Pediatric Program Directors (2008-2010)
- American Heart Association (1999-2019)
- American Physiologic Society (1985-2019)
- American Pediatric Society (1983)
- Perinatal Research Society (1981)
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation (1978)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1977)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1976)