Animesh (Aashoo) Tandon, M.D., M.S., is Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, with a joint appointment in Radiology, and is faculty in Biomedical Engineering, at UT Southwestern. He graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a BA in 2003. During his medical training at the University of Michigan Medical School, he performed a research fellowship at the NINDS/NIH through the Howard Hughes Medical Institute/NIH Research Scholars (Cloister) Program. Dr. Tandon completed his pediatric residency and categorical pediatric cardiology fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. During fellowship, he earned a Masters in Clinical and Translational Research from the University of Cincinnati. He then completed an advanced imaging fellowship at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta/Emory University.
Dr. Tandon’s current clinical and research interests focus on:
- Use of cardiac MRI (CMR) to improve noninvasive histolgy
- Extraction of clinically-relevant insights from information-rich imaging and other datasets using machine learning, artificial intelligence, and other computational modeling techniques
- Development and use of wearables and other monitoring devices, especially for peditric and adult congenital cardiovascular disease
- Development of predictive analytics and other models from imaging and continuous monitoring data using machine learning
- 3D printing, 3D visualization, virtual reality, and augmented reality in congenital heart disease
He currently serves as co-chair of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Section of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Early Career Working Group; is on the American Heart Association (AHA) Center for Health Technology & Innovation (CHTI) Health Technology Advisory Group (HTAG); serves on the American College of Cardiology (ACC) Early Career Section Leadership Council; and is on the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) 3D+ Special Interest Group Steering Committee.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2008)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine/Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (2011), Pediatrics
- Graduate School
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2014)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine/Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (2014), Pediatric Cardiology
- Emory University/Children's Hospital of Atlanta (2015), Cardiac Advanced Imaging
- 3D printing, 3D modeling, 3D visualization, virtual reality, and augmented reality for improved visualization of and pre-interventional planning for congenital heart disease
- Big data and predictive analytics in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- Cardiac MRI for noninvasive tissue characterization
- Development and validation of new, advanced cardiac MRI techniques for use in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- Emerging and disruptive technologies in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- Imaging of animal models of congenital heart disease
- Vessel wall health in congenital and acquired heart disease through novel cardiac MRI imaging techniques
- Wearables, biosensors, implantables, and other monitoring devices for use in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- A clinical combined gadobutrol bolus and slow infusion protocol enabling angiography, inversion recovery whole heart, and late gadolinium enhancement imaging in a single study.
- Tandon A, James L, Henningsson M, Botnar RM, Potersnak A, Greil GF, Hussain T J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2016 Oct 18 1 66
- A systematic review of image segmentation methodology, used in the additive manufacture of patient-specific 3D printed models of the cardiovascular system.
- Byrne N, Velasco Forte M, Tandon A, Valverde I, Hussain T JRSM Cardiovasc Dis 2016 Jan-Dec 5 2048004016645467
- Feasibility of 3D black-blood variable refocusing angle fast spin echo cardiovascular magnetic resonance for visualization of the whole heart and great vessels in congenital heart disease.
- Henningsson M, Zahr RA, Dyer A, Greil GF, Burkhardt B, Tandon A, Hussain T J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2018 11 20 1 76
- Dual-phase whole-heart imaging using image navigation in congenital heart disease.
- Moyé DM, Hussain T, Botnar RM, Tandon A, Greil GF, Dyer AK, Henningsson M BMC Med Imaging 2018 Oct 18 1 36
- Rationalising the use of cardiac catheterisation before Glenn completion.
- James L, Tandon A, Nugent A, Malik S, Ramaciotti C, Greil G, Zabala L, Forbess J, Hussain T Cardiol Young 2018 Mar 1-6
- Update on the Role of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Congenital Heart Disease.
- Rajiah P, Tandon A, Greil GF, Abbara S Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2017 Jan 19 1 2
- Timely Pulmonary Valve Replacement May Allow Preservation of Left Ventricular Circumferential Strain in Patients with Tetralogy of Fallot.
- Burkhardt BE, Velasco Forte MN, Durairaj S, Rafiq I, Valverde I, Tandon A, Simpson J, Hussain T Front Pediatr 2017 5 39
- 3D Whole Heart Imaging for Congenital Heart Disease.
- Greil G, Tandon AA, Silva Vieira M, Hussain T Front Pediatr 2017 5 36
- Improved high-resolution pediatric vascular cardiovascular magnetic resonance with gadofosveset-enhanced 3D respiratory navigated, inversion recovery prepared gradient echo readout imaging compared to 3D balanced steady-state free precession readout imaging.
- Tandon A, Hashemi S, Parks WJ, Kelleman MS, Sallee D, Slesnick TC J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2016 Nov 18 1 74
- Use of a semi-automated cardiac segmentation tool improves reproducibility and speed of segmentation of contaminated right heart magnetic resonance angiography.
- Tandon A, Byrne N, Nieves Velasco Forte ML, Zhang S, Dyer AK, Dillenbeck JM, Greil GF, Hussain T Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016 May
Honors & Awards
- Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly (2018)
- Texas Super Doctors
Texas Monthly (2018)
- Clinical Stipend
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2017)
- Early Career Research Award
Children's Clinical Research Advisory Committee (2016)
- Oral presentation for Best Scientific Report
12th Advanced Symposium on Pediatric Cardiovascular Imaging, Society for Pediatric Radiology, Houston, TX (2016)
- Pediatric Research Loan Repayment Program Awardee
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (2016)
American College of Cardiology (2015)
- Honorable Mention, Poster Competition, Pediatric Research Conference
Inflammation in Pediatric Health: Improving Care Through Innovation and Technology (2015)
- Early Career Investigator Award
American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (CVDY) (2014)
- Young Investigator Award
American College of Cardiology (2014)
- CCHMC Clinical and Translational Research Fellowship Award
- MD with Distinction in Research
University of Michigan Medical School (2008)
- HHMI-NIH Research Scholars (Cloister) Program
- NINDS Intramural Retreat Outstanding Poster Award
- W. Oren Boren Scholarship
University of Michigan Medical School (2005)
- Summer Biomedical Research Program
University of Michigan Medical School (2004)
- Joseph Collins Scholarship
- Summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Sigma Xi
Washington University, St. Louis (2003)
- Undergraduate Biological Sciences Educational Program
HHMI at Washington University, St. Louis (2001)
- Dean's List
Washington University, St. Louis (2000-2002)
- NIH Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research
- American College of Cardiology (2017-2020)
- American Heart Association (2017)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2015)
- North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging (2015)
- American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Cardiology (2014)
- American Board of Pediatrics (2011)
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Society of Pediatric Echocardiography
- Wearable Technology in Healthcare (WATCH) Society