Rohit R Das is an epileptologist and neurologist with training and clinical interest in all forms of seizures and epilepsy and in the surgical evaluation and treatment of epileptic disorders. He is also trained and interested in patient safety and healthcare quality issues. He also serves as the Neurology Clerkship Director.
Dr Das went to medical school in Bangalore India and subsequently completed a Master's degree in Public Health with the University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston. His thesis was on depression after traumatic brain injury which resulted in two letters in the New England Journal of Medicine and several mentions in the press through the Associated Press. He completed residency in neurology at Boston University where he completed research with the world famous Framingham Heart Study. His work on silent cerebral infarcts was featured on the "Talk of the Nation" program on National Public Radio. His fellowships in Epilepsy were completed at two principal teaching affiliates of the Harvard Medical School, the Brigham and Boston Children's.
He sees patients with a variety of seizure related conditions from first time seizures to difficult to treat epilepsy at the Aston Clinic. He also sees patients at Parkland and the UTSW hospitals who are admitted for seizure monitoring and pre surgical evaluations as well as patients admitted for intracranial epilepsy evaluations.
Dr Das has held numerous leadership positions in undergraduate and graduate medical education in numerous institutions and in national bodies concerned with education. He has served as Medical Director of an MD/MPH program, Competency Director for Systems Based Practice and Course Director for Quality Healthcare Delivery at Indiana University School of Medicine. At UTSW he serves as Director of the Neurology Clerkship and Co-Director of the Neurology component of the Frontiers in Neurology course for 4th year medical students. On a national basis he has served as a member of the USMLE Neurology Committee and continues to serve as a member of the Neurology Shelf Taskforce. He also serves as a member of the American Academy of Neurology Resident Inservice Examination Committee.
Dr Das has published a variety of research studies in epilepsy and stroke working with a variety of medical students, residents and fellows. He also has published extensively in quality metrics in neurology serving as an expert methodologist to a variety of quality metrics work groups in a number of areas of neurology. He has been involved with the creation and continuing review of quality metrics in inpatient and emergency neurology, mild cognitive impairment, universal measures and neurology outcome measures as well as measures for distal symmetric polyneuropathy, ALS and opiods in pain. He serves as a member of the AAN Quality Measures Committee and in the past the AAN Quality and Safety Commitee. He has served as Chair of a number of workgroups on Covid issues, Medicaid issues and Patient Reported Quality measures issues.
- Medical School
- Bangalore Medical College, India (1999)
- University of Missouri (2003), Psychiatry
- Other Post Graduate Training
- UT Health Science Center at Houston (2004)
- Graduate School
- UT Health Science Center at Houston (2004)
- University of Pennsylvania Medical Center/McKeesport Hospital (2004), Internal Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine (2007), Neurology
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (2008), Neurophysiology
- Boston Children's Hospital (2009), Pediatric Epilepsy
- Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center (2018), Patient Safety
- Intractable epilepsy
- medical student education
- Patient safety and healthcare quality
- surgical epilepsy
- Beyond the Wada: An updated approach to pre-surgical language and memory testing: An updated review of available evaluation techniques and recommended workflow to limit Wada test use to essential clinical cases.
- Qadri S, Dave H, Das R, Alick-Lindstrom S, Epilepsy Res 2021 Aug 174 106673
- ANA Investigates: Neural Circuit Concepts Connecting Neurology and Psychiatry.
- Das RR, Goss AL, Richie M, Geocadin RG, Mayberg HS, Ann Neurol 2021 Aug
- Emergency department visits and readmissions in patients with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures (PNES) at a safety net hospital.
- Ramamurthy S, Steven Brown L, Agostini M, Alick Lindstorm S, Dave H, Dieppa M, Ding K, Doyle A, Hays R, Harvey J, Perven G, Podkorytova I, Zepeda R, Das RR, Epilepsy Behav 2021 Aug 122 108225
- Emergent Admissions to the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit in the Setting of COVID-19 Pandemic-related, State-mandated Restrictions: Clinical Decision Making and Outcomes.
- Zepeda R, Lee Y, Agostini M, Alick Lindstrom S, Dave H, Dieppa M, Ding K, Doyle A, Harvey J, Hays R, Perven G, Podkorytova I, Das RR, Neurodiagn J 2021 Jun 61 2 95-103
- ANA Investigates: Neurological Complications of COVID-19 Vaccines.
- Goss AL, Samudralwar RD, Das RR, Nath A, Ann Neurol 2021 05 89 5 856-857
- Non-lesional mesial temporal lobe epilepsy requires bilateral invasive evaluation.
- Perven G, Podkorytova I, Ding K, Agostini M, Alick S, Das R, Dave H, Dieppa M, Doyle A, Harvey J, Lega B, Zepeda R, Hays R, Epilepsy Behav Rep 2021 15 100441
- Same Material, Different Formats: Comparing In-Person and Distance Learning in Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Dela Cruz AM, Alick S, Das R, Brenner A, Acad Psychiatry 2020 Dec 44 6 659-663
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Epilepsy Care: A Survey of the American Epilepsy Society Membership.
- Albert DVF, Das RR, Acharya JN, Lee JW, Pollard JR, Punia V, Keller JA, Husain AM, Epilepsy Curr 2020 Sep 20 5 316-324
- Quality improvement in neurology: Neurology Outcomes Quality Measurement Set.
- Sico JJ, Sarwal A, Benish SM, Busis NA, Cohen BH, Das RR, Finsilver S, Halperin JJ, Kelly AG, Meunier L, Phipps MS, Thirumala PD, Villanueva R, von Gaudecker J, Bennett A, Shenoy AM, Neurology 2020 May
- Quality improvement in neurology: Mild cognitive impairment quality measurement set.
- Foster NL, Bondi MW, Das R, Foss M, Hershey LA, Koh S, Logan R, Poole C, Shega JW, Sood A, Thothala N, Wicklund M, Yu M, Bennett A, Wang D, Neurology 2019 10 93 16 705-713
Review Manual for the Epilepsy Boards
Rohit R Das (Ed.) (2016). Seattle Wa, Amazon Direct
The Intracarotid Amobarbital Procedure. In Wyllie's Epilepsy
Das RR and Lodenkemper T (2011). New York NY, Elsevier
Autonomic Dysfunction and Syncope. In Handbook of Geriatric Neurology
Das RR (2014). New York NY, Wiley
- American Neurological Association (2019)
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (2009)
- American Epilepsy Society (2007)
- American Academy of Neurology (2004)