Dr. Bhaskar Gurram received his medical degree from the Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College in India. He completed his pediatric residency at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India and Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit. Dr. Gurram then continued his training with a fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology at Medical College of Wisconsin and received his board-certification in pediatric gastroenterology by the American Board of Pediatrics in 2013.
Dr. Gurram was an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee before joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2015. He has clinical expertise in gastrointestinal manifestations of immune deficiency, immune dysregulation disorders and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). His research interests are in work-up of early-onset inflammatory bowel disease and in treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. Dr. Gurram is actively involved in teaching medical students, residents, fellows and nurses.
- Medical School
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College (2001)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (2005), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital of Michigan (2010), Pediatrics
- Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Program (2013), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of immune deficiency and immune dysregulation disorders
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- O-011 Paneth Cell Phenotypes Define a Subtype of Pediatric Crohn's Disease Through Alterations in Host-Microbial Interactions.
- Liu TC, Gurram B, Baldridge M, Head R, Lam V, Luo C, Cao Y, Simpson P, Hayward M, Holtz M, Noe J, Lerner D, Cabrera J, Biank V, Stephens M, Huttenhower C, McGovern D, Xavier R, Stappenbeck T, Salzman N Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2016 Mar 22 Suppl 1 S4
- Intact Regulatory T Cell Function But Defective Generation of IL-17A Producing CD4+ T Cells in XIAP Deficiency.
- Gurram B, Hammelev E, Syverson G, Haribhai D, Yan K, Simpson P, Salzman N, Verbsky JW J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2016 Jan
- Plasma induced signatures reveal an extracellular milieu possessing an immunoregulatory bias in treatment-naïve pediatric inflammatory bowel disease.
- Gurram B, Salzman NH, Kaldunski ML, Jia S, Li BU, Stephens M, Sood MR, Hessner MJ Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2015 Dec
- Challenges in meeting fellowship procedural guidelines in pediatric therapeutic endoscopy and liver biopsy.
- Lerner DG, Li BU, Mamula P, Fishman DS, Kramer R, Goh VL, El-Chammas K, Pentiuk SP, Rothbaum R, Gurrum B, Rahhal RM, Goday PS, Vitola B J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2014 Jan 58 1 27-33
- Nutrition in Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Gurram B, Joeckel R, Stephens M PRACTICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY 2012 Apr XXXVI Issue 4 56 to 58 and 60 to 62
- Unusual complications of empyema thoracis: diaphragmatic palsy and Horner's syndrome.
- Bhaskar G, Lodha R, Kabra SK Indian J Pediatr 2006 Oct 73 10 941-3
- Griscelli syndrome.
- Malhotra AK, Bhaskar G, Nanda M, Kabra M, Singh MK, Ramam M J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2006 Aug 55 2 337-40
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).
- Bhaskar G, Lodha R, Kabra SK Indian J Pediatr 2003 May 70 5 401-5
- Outcomes after fecal diversion for colonic and perianal Crohn disease in children.
- Dharmaraj R, Nugent M, Simpson P, Arca M, Gurram B, Werlin S J. Pediatr. Surg. 2017 Aug
- Paneth cell defects in Crohn's disease patients promote dysbiosis.
- Liu TC, Gurram B, Baldridge MT, Head R, Lam V, Luo C, Cao Y, Simpson P, Hayward M, Holtz ML, Bousounis P, Noe J, Lerner D, Cabrera J, Biank V, Stephens M, Huttenhower C, McGovern DP, Xavier RJ, Stappenbeck TS, Salzman NH JCI Insight 2016 Jun 1 8 e86907
Disorders of Digestion in the Neonate. In Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, 10th edition, R. Martin, A. Fanaroff, M. Walsh, eds.
Larson-Nath C, Gurram B, Chelimsky G. (2015). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Diarrhea. In Nelson Pediatric-Symptom Based Diagnosis, Kliegman RM, Lye PS, Bordini BJ, Toth H, Basel D, eds.
Gurram B (2018). Elsevier; 182-203
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Medical Student Teacher
Awarded yearly for one faculty/fellow in the department of pediatrics by The Medical College of Wisconsin medical students rotating in pediatrics (2010-2011)
- Sorel Catherine Freymann Prize
Awarded yearly for best post graduate (resident) in Pediatrics at All India Institure of Medical sciences, New Delhi, INDIA (2005-2005)
- Member, American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) (2011)
- Member, North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (2010)