Veronica Coleman is a board certified Physician Assistant (PA) who earned her Bachelor degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences/Medical Technology from Lousiana Tech University in 2002 and a Bachelor degree in Physician Assistant Studies from Lousiana State University Medical Center School of Health Sciences (LSUMC-HSC) in 2010. She earned a Master of Physician Assistant Studies from LSUMC-HSC in 2012. Prior to joining the faculty at UTSW Dept. of PA Studies, she worked primary as a surgical PA. She has worked in the field of Plastic & Reconstructive surgery at LSUMC and Parkland Health & Hospitals. She currently works clinically with the UTSW Clements University Dept. of Surgery, Divison of Surgical Oncology with the Pancreatic Cancer Prevention Multidisciplinary Program.
Professor Coleman is an Assistant Professor and the Director of Admissions. She also served in the role of Associate Clinical Coordinator. She is truly dedicated to her students and prides herself in being a student advocate. She believes the best part of being in academia is the opportunity for mentorship and development of future clinician leaders, educators, and change makers. She actively serves on serveral committees and boards including the AAPA Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Commission, the PAEA CASPA Steering Committee, and is currently the TAPA Student Affairs Committee Chair.
- Undergraduate School
- Louisiana Tech University (2002)
- Undergraduate School
- Louisiana State University School of Medicine (2010)
- Graduate School
- Louisiana State University School of Medicine (2012)
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (JEDI)
- Leadership Development in PA Education
- Mindful Wellness
- Pancreatic Cancer Prevention
- Professionalism & Professional Identity Development
- Recruitment for Excellence, Equitable & Holistic Admissions & Retention
- Fewer Words, More Action: Cultivating an Anti-Racist Environment Strategies/Solutions (CARES) Framework for Physician Assistant Education.
- Frizell CA, Barnett JS, Ard D, Coleman VL, Jackson TL, Salahshor S, Collett D, Sturges D, J Physician Assist Educ 2021 Dec 32 4 272-276
- Facilitating Surveillance of Incidental Findings Using a Novel Reporting Template: Proof of Concept in Patients with Pancreatic Abnormalities.
- Smith WC, Khatri G, Dunn SH, Zeidan N, Browning TG, Kubiliun N, Mansour JC, Minter RM, Vu L, Coleman VL, Pedrosa I, Leyendecker JR, J Am Coll Radiol 2021 Jul
- Clinical Reasoning and Knowledge Organization: Bridging the Gap Between Medical Education and Neurocognitive Science.
- Longo PJ, Orcutt VL, James K, Kane J, Coleman V J Physician Assist Educ 2018 Oct
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Eta Honor Society
National Scholastic Society for Allied Health Professionals, Faculty member inductee (2021)
- Pi Alpha National Honor Society
National honor society for physician assistants in recognition of academic achievement, leadership, research and service. Faculty member inductee. (2018)
- Physician Assistant Education Association Excellence Through Diversity PA Program of the Year
- African Heritage Physician Assistant Caucus (2017)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (2010)
- Association of Plastic Surgery Physician Assistants (2012-2014)
- Louisiana Academy of Physician Assistants (2010-2014)
- Physician Assistant Education Association (2015)
- Texas Academy of Physician Assistants (2015)