Peter Roland, M.D.
Department Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
Dr. Roland is currently Professor and Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Professor of Neurological Surgery, both at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He is Chief of Pediatric Otology at Children’s Medical Center. Dr. Roland regularly performs surgical procedures at Zale Lipshy University Hospital, St. Paul Hospital and Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. He is a member of over 20 hospital committees. He chairs five committees: the Quality Assurance/Medical Records Committee of Zale Lipshy University Medical Center; the Ethics Committee for Zale Lipshy University Hospital; the Committee on Physician Health and Rehabilitation for Parkland Memorial Hospital; the HIPAA Compliance Committee for the Southwestern University Medical Center; and the Managed Care Contracting Committee. Dr. Roland has completed a fellowship in otology, neurotology and skull base surgery and his practice is limited to that subspecialty. He deals with problems in hearing, ear disease, balance disturbance, facial nerve injury and tumors of the skull base including acoustic neuroma. He has a special interest and much experience in the area of cochlear implantation. Dr. Roland completed graduate coursework in Philosophy at the University of Texas in 1972. He received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and did his otolaryngology residency training at Penn State University. Dr. Roland spent four years in the United States Navy stationed at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. During his tour in the Navy, he was on the faculty of the Uniform Services, the University of Health Sciences and served as a consultant to the National Institutes of Health. Following his four year tour in the Navy, he spent a year in fellowship training at the E.A.R. Institute in Nashville, Tennessee specializing in otology, neurotology and skull base surgery. He is the author of over 150 publications on ear surgery, cochlear implants, hearing loss, balance disturbance, facial nerve injury, acoustic neuroma and tumors of the skull base. He has authored two books: “Hearing Loss” and “Ototoxicity”.
- Rockford College (1969)
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical Br (1976)
- Activation of a Dormant Cortex in the Restoration of Speech and Language following cochlear implantation
- Childhood Development after Cochlear Implantation
- Language Reception after Cochlear Implantation
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Polysomnography for Sleep-Disordered Breathing Prior to Tonsillectomy in Children
- Roland P, Rosenfeld R, Brooks L, Friendman N, Jones J, et al. American Academy of Otolaryngology-HNS July 2011 145 (1S) 1S-15 S
- Cortical mMaturation and Behavioral Outcomes in Children with Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder
- Sharma A, Cardon G, Henion K, and Roland P International Journal of Audiology February 2011 50 98-106
- Assessment of Cochlear Implant Candidacy in Patients with Cochlear Nerve Deficiency using the P1 CAEP Biomarker.
- Roland P, Martin K, Booth T, Campbell J, Sharma A Cochlear Implants International Spring 2011 12 (2) 1-9
- Round Window Insertin of Precurved Perimodiolar Electrode Arrays: How Successful is it?
- Souter MA, Briggs RJ, Wright CG, Roland PS. Neurotology January 2011 32 (1) 58-63
- Health-related Quality of Life in Children and Adolescents who use Cochlear Implants.
- Warner-Czyz AD, Loy B, Tobey EA, Nakonhezny P, Roland PS Int. Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology January 2011 75 95-105
- Effects of Cochlear Drilling with Piezosurgery Medical Device in Rats.
- Pawlowski KS, Koulich MS, Domenico C, Wright CG, Stabilini E, Roland P. The Laryngoscope January 2011 121 182-186
- A Pilot Study of Rituximab Immune-Mediated Inner Ear Disease
- Cohen S, Roland PS, Shoup A, et al. Audiology & Neurotology January 2011 16 (4) 214-221
- Cochlear Implantation in Children with Enlarged Vistibular Aqueduct.
- Lee KH, Lee J, Isaacson B, Kutz JW, Roland PS. The Laryngoscope August 2010 120 (8) 1675-1681
- Anatomy of the Middle-Turn Cochlestomy
- Isaacson BI, Roland PS, Wright CG The Laryngoscope December 2008 118 2200-2204
- Cochlear Implant Electrode Insertion: The Round Window Revisited.
- Roland PS, Wright CG, Isaacson B. The Laryngoscope August 2007 114 1397-1402
Honors & Awards
- America’s Top Doctors
- Best Doctors in Dallas
- Guide to America’s Top Physicians
- Super Doctors
- George E. Shambaugh
Memorial Lecturer at 60th Annual Meeting of AAOAF (2001)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society
- American Neurotologic Society
- American Otological Society
- North American Skull Base Society