- Graduate School
- Univ of California-Berkeley , Biophysics
- Medical School
- University of California-San D (1983)
- Characterization of the natural history and improvement of the treatment of children and adolescents with non-malignant hematologic diseases such as congenital bone marrow failure syndromes, aplastic anemia thalassemia, sickle cell disease, and immune cytopenias
- Development of optimum management approaches to major clinical events in children with sickle cell disease (febrile illness, chest syndrome, painful crisis, avascular necrosis, stroke)
- Use of hydroxyurea, transfusion, stem cell transplantation and other therapies, particularly in young children, to prevent the morbidity of sickle cell anemia
- Prospective phase 1/2 study of rituximab in childhood and adolescent chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Bennett CM, Rogers ZR, Kinnamon DD, Bussel JB, Mahoney DH, Abshire TC, Sawaf H, Moore TB, Loh ML, Glader BE, McCarthy MC, Mueller BU, Olson TA, Lorenzana AN, Mentzer WC, Buchanan GR, Feldman HA, Neufeld EJ Blood 2006 Apr 107 7 2639-42
- Long-term hydroxyurea therapy for infants with sickle cell anemia: the HUSOFT extension study.
- Hankins JS, Ware RE, Rogers ZR, Wynn LW, Lane PA, Scott JP, Wang WC Blood 2005 Oct 106 7 2269-75
- Priapism in sickle cell disease.
- Rogers ZR Hematol. Oncol. Clin. North Am. 2005 Oct 19 5 917-28, viii
- Minor elective surgical procedures using general anesthesia in children with sickle cell anemia without pre-operative blood transfusion.
- Fu T, Corrigan NJ, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005 Jul 45 1 43-7
- Expanding the role of hydroxyurea in children with sickle cell disease.
- Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2004 Sep 145 3 287-8
- Survival of children with sickle cell disease.
- Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR Blood 2004 Jun 103 11 4023-7
- Acquired Glanzmann's thrombasthenia as part of multiple-autoantibody syndrome in a pediatric heart transplant patient.
- Rawal A, Sarode R, Curtis BR, Karandikar NJ, Friedman K, Rogers ZR J. Pediatr. 2004 May 144 5 672-4
- Invasive pneumococcal infections in children with sickle cell disease in the era of penicillin prophylaxis, antibiotic resistance, and 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination.
- Adamkiewicz TV, Sarnaik S, Buchanan GR, Iyer RV, Miller ST, Pegelow CH, Rogers ZR, Vichinsky E, Elliott J, Facklam RR, O'Brien KL, Schwartz B, Van Beneden CA, Cannon MJ, Eckman JR, Keyserling H, Sullivan K, Wong WY, Wang WC J. Pediatr. 2003 Oct 143 4 438-44
- Outpatient penile aspiration and epinephrine irrigation for young patients with sickle cell anemia and prolonged priapism.
- Mantadakis E, Ewalt DH, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR Blood 2000 Jan 95 1 78-82
- Functional asplenia in hemoglobin SC disease.
- Lane PA, O'Connell JL, Lear JL, Rogers ZR, Woods GM, Hassell KL, Wethers DL, Luckey DW, Buchanan GR Blood 1995 Apr 85 8 2238-44
Bone marrow failure syndromes. In Werner E, de Alarcon P, Christensen RD, eds. Neonatal Hematology: Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Management of Hematologic Problems. 2nd ed.
Rogers ZR, Alter BP. (2013). Cambridge University Press; 47-64.
Anemia Due to Diminished Red Blood Cell Production. In Rudolph CD, Rudolph AM, Lister G, First LR, Gershon AA, eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 22nd ed.
Rogers ZR. (2011). McGraw-Hill; 1549-1551.
Chediak-Higashi syndrome. In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Farah RA, Rogers ZR. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 296-300.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine (2015-2017)
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Child Magazine (2015)
- Physician Scientist Award, Fellow
Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund (1990-1993)
- American Cancer Society
Texas Division Oncology, Research Fellowship (1989)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Alpha of California (1978)
- American Society of Hematology (1990)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (1989)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1987)
- American Pediatric Society
- Society for Pediatric Research