- Graduate School
- Univ of California-Berkeley , Biophysics
- Medical School
- University of California-San D (1983)
- Characterization of the natural history and improvement of the treatment of children and adolescents with non-malignant hematologic diseases such as congenital bone marrow failure syndromes, aplastic anemia thalassemia, sickle cell disease, and immune cytopenias
- Development of optimum management approaches to major clinical events in children with sickle cell disease (febrile illness, chest syndrome, painful crisis, avascular necrosis, stroke)
- Use of hydroxyurea, transfusion, stem cell transplantation and other therapies, particularly in young children, to prevent the morbidity of sickle cell anemia
- Comparison of hematologic measurements between local and central laboratories: data from the BABY HUG trial.
- Kalpatthi R, Thompson B, Lu M, Wang WC, Patel N, Kutlar A, Howard T, Luchtman-Jones L, Miller ST Clin. Biochem. 2013 Feb 46 3 278-81
- Acute silent cerebral ischemia and infarction during acute anemia in children with and without sickle cell disease.
- Dowling MM, Quinn CT, Plumb P, Rogers ZR, Rollins NK, Koral K, Buchanan GR Blood 2012 Nov 120 19 3891-7
- Effect of hydroxyurea treatment on renal function parameters: results from the multi-center placebo-controlled BABY HUG clinical trial for infants with sickle cell anemia.
- Alvarez O, Miller ST, Wang WC, Luo Z, McCarville MB, Schwartz GJ, Thompson B, Howard T, Iyer RV, Rana SR, Rogers ZR, Sarnaik SA, Thornburg CD, Ware RE Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Oct 59 4 668-74
- Influence of severity of anemia on clinical findings in infants with sickle cell anemia: analyses from the BABY HUG study.
- Lebensburger JD, Miller ST, Howard TH, Casella JF, Brown RC, Lu M, Iyer RV, Sarnaik S, Rogers ZR, Wang WC Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Oct 59 4 675-8
- 50 years ago in the Journal of Pediatrics: neuroblastoma.
- Aquino VM, Rogers ZR J. Pediatr. 2012 Sep 161 3 416
- Chronic transfusion practices for prevention of primary stroke in children with sickle cell anemia and abnormal TCD velocities.
- Aygun B, Wruck LM, Schultz WH, Mueller BU, Brown C, Luchtman-Jones L, Jackson S, Iyer R, Rogers ZR, Sarnaik S, Thompson AA, Gauger C, Helms RW, Ware RE Am. J. Hematol. 2012 Apr 87 4 428-30
- Stroke With Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (SWiTCH).
- Ware RE, Helms RW Blood 2012 Apr 119 17 3925-32
- Effects of chronic transfusions on abdominal sonographic abnormalities in children with sickle cell anemia.
- McCarville MB, Rogers ZR, Sarnaik S, Scott P, Aygun B, Hilliard L, Lee MT, Kalinyak K, Owen W, Garro J, Schultz W, Yovetich N, Ware RE J. Pediatr. 2012 Feb 160 2 281-285.e1
- Massive accidental overdose of hydroxyurea in a young child with sickle cell anemia.
- Miller ST, Rey K, He J, Flanagan J, Fish BJ, Rogers ZR, Wang WC, Ware RE Pediatric blood & cancer 2011 Jul
- Advantages of isovolemic hemodilution-red cell exchange therapy to prevent recurrent stroke in sickle cell anemia patients.
- Sarode R, Matevosyan K, Rogers ZR, Burner JD, Rutherford C Journal of clinical apheresis 2011 Jul 200-7
Bone marrow failure syndromes. In Werner E, de Alarcon P, Christensen RD, eds. Neonatal Hematology: Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Management of Hematologic Problems. 2nd ed.
Rogers ZR, Alter BP. (2013). Cambridge University Press; 47-64.
Anemia Due to Diminished Red Blood Cell Production. In Rudolph CD, Rudolph AM, Lister G, First LR, Gershon AA, eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 22nd ed.
Rogers ZR. (2011). McGraw-Hill; 1549-1551.
Chediak-Higashi syndrome. In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Farah RA, Rogers ZR. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 296-300.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine (2015-2017)
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Child Magazine (2015)
- Physician Scientist Award, Fellow
Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund (1990-1993)
- American Cancer Society
Texas Division Oncology, Research Fellowship (1989)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Alpha of California (1978)
- American Society of Hematology (1990)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (1989)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1987)
- American Pediatric Society
- Society for Pediatric Research