- Graduate School
- Univ of California-Berkeley , Biophysics
- Medical School
- University of California-San D (1983)
- Characterization of the natural history and improvement of the treatment of children and adolescents with non-malignant hematologic diseases such as congenital bone marrow failure syndromes, aplastic anemia thalassemia, sickle cell disease, and immune cytopenias
- Development of optimum management approaches to major clinical events in children with sickle cell disease (febrile illness, chest syndrome, painful crisis, avascular necrosis, stroke)
- Use of hydroxyurea, transfusion, stem cell transplantation and other therapies, particularly in young children, to prevent the morbidity of sickle cell anemia
- Abdominal ultrasound with scintigraphic and clinical correlates in infants with sickle cell anemia: baseline data from the BABY HUG trial.
- McCarville MB, Luo Z, Huang X, Rees RC, Rogers ZR, Miller ST, Thompson B, Kalpatthi R, Wang WC AJR Am J Roentgenol 2011 Jun 196 6 1399-404
- Increase in invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in children with sickle cell disease since pneumococcal conjugate vaccine licensure.
- McCavit TL, Quinn CT, Techasaensiri C, Rogers ZR J. Pediatr. 2011 Mar 158 3 505-7
- The effects of hydroxycarbamide and magnesium on haemoglobin SC disease: results of the multi-centre CHAMPS trial.
- Wang W, Brugnara C, Snyder C, Wynn L, Rogers Z, Kalinyak K, Brown C, Qureshi A, Bigelow C, Neumayr L, Smith-Whitley K, Chui DH, Delahunty M, Woolson R, Steinberg M, Telen M, Kesler K Br. J. Haematol. 2011 Mar 152 6 771-6
- Health-related quality of life in adults with sickle cell disease (SCD): a report from the comprehensive sickle cell centers clinical trial consortium.
- Dampier C, LeBeau P, Rhee S, Lieff S, Kesler K, Ballas S, Rogers Z, Wang W Am. J. Hematol. 2011 Feb 86 2 203-5
- Prevalence of intracardiac shunting in children with sickle cell disease and stroke.
- Dowling MM, Lee N, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Boger D, Ahmad N, Ramaciotti C, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 2010 Apr 156 4 645-50
- Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in Texas: observations on ethnicity and race.
- Niece JA, Rogers ZR, Ahmad N, Langevin AM, McClain KL Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Mar 54 3 424-8
- Pulmonary, gonadal, and central nervous system status after bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell disease.
- Walters MC, Hardy K, Edwards S, Adamkiewicz T, Barkovich J, Bernaudin F, Buchanan GR, Bunin N, Dickerhoff R, Giller R, Haut PR, Horan J, Hsu LL, Kamani N, Levine JE, Margolis D, Ohene-Frempong K, Patience M, Redding-Lallinger R, Roberts IA, Rogers ZR, Sanders JE, Scott JP, Sullivan KM Biol. Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010 Feb 16 2 263-72
- Adherence to study medication and visits: data from the BABY HUG trial.
- Thornburg CD, Rogers ZR, Jeng MR, Rana SR, Iyer RV, Faughnan L, Hassen L, Marshall J, McDonald RP, Wang WC, Huang X, Rees RC Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Feb 54 2 260-4
- Transcranial doppler ultrasonography (TCD) in infants with sickle cell anemia: baseline data from the BABY HUG trial.
- Pavlakis SG, Rees RC, Huang X, Brown RC, Casella JF, Iyer RV, Kalpatthi R, Luden J, Miller ST, Rogers ZR, Thornburg CD, Wang WC, Adams RJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Feb 54 2 256-9
- The pediatric hydroxyurea phase III clinical trial (BABY HUG): challenges of study design.
- Thompson BW, Miller ST, Rogers ZR, Rees RC, Ware RE, Waclawiw MA, Iyer RV, Casella JF, Luchtman-Jones L, Rana S, Thornburg CD, Kalpatthi RV, Barredo JC, Brown RC, Sarnaik S, Howard TH, Luck L, Wang WC Pediatr Blood Cancer 2010 Feb 54 2 250-5
Bone marrow failure syndromes. In Werner E, de Alarcon P, Christensen RD, eds. Neonatal Hematology: Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Management of Hematologic Problems. 2nd ed.
Rogers ZR, Alter BP. (2013). Cambridge University Press; 47-64.
Anemia Due to Diminished Red Blood Cell Production. In Rudolph CD, Rudolph AM, Lister G, First LR, Gershon AA, eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 22nd ed.
Rogers ZR. (2011). McGraw-Hill; 1549-1551.
Chediak-Higashi syndrome. In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Farah RA, Rogers ZR. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 296-300.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine (2015-2017)
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Child Magazine (2015)
- Physician Scientist Award, Fellow
Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund (1990-1993)
- American Cancer Society
Texas Division Oncology, Research Fellowship (1989)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Alpha of California (1978)
- American Society of Hematology (1990)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (1989)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1987)
- American Pediatric Society
- Society for Pediatric Research