A world-renowned urologist and expert on benign and cancerous prostate diseases, Claus Roehrborn, M.D., has been practicing at UT Southwestern for more than 30 years and has been Chair of the Department of Urology since 2002. Under his leadership, the Department has consistently been named among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report.
Born and raised in the former West Germany, Dr. Roehrborn earned his medical degree from Justus Liebig University in Giessen and began his residency in surgery and urology at the German Army Hospital there. He was initially drawn to urology during medical school because of the comprehensive nature of the specialty that allows physicians to see patients, do their own medical tests, diagnose their conditions, operate on them if necessary, and then do follow-up care.
In 1984 Dr. Roehrborn came to Dallas and continued his studies at UT Southwestern Medical Center where he received advanced training in urologic endocrinology. He became a faculty member of UT Southwestern in 1992.
Dr Roehrborn’s practice focuses on the screening and evaluation of men suspected of prostate cancer with PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) elevations, treatment of prostate cancer, as well as the evaluation and treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). He has been involved in developing guidelines for the assessment and treatment of this very common disorder in various leadership positions since 1994.
Over the last three decades he has helped to bring from bench to bedside nearly all currently used medications for LUTS and BPH, and has been the Principal Investigator for many of the currently employed minimally invasive treatments for LUTS and BPH.
In 2006, Dr. Roehrborn started the robotic surgery program at UTSW and performed the first da Vinci prostatectomy for cancer; he now looks back at over 3,000 of these procedures performed by him personally.
Dr. Roehrborn performs regularly nearly all procedures for LUTS and BPH: Urolift, Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP), Aquablation, KTP or Green Light Laser Ablation, as well as robotic enucleation for benign disease. In addition, he continuously conducts research trials using new minimally invasive treatments for this condition.
Dr. Roehrborn is consistently named to the left of D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas, Texas Super Doctors and Dallas Best Doctors. In 2010, he was the recipient of the Patricia and William L. Watson, Jr., M.D. Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine, which recognizes a UT Southwestern clinician whose work exemplifies a commitment to outstanding patient care and advancement of innovative medical therapy. In 2022, he received the Eugene Fuller Triennial Prostate Award for his lifelong commitment towards the understanding of LUTS and BPH fro the American Urological Association (AUA).
- Medical School
- Justus-Liebig-University Giessen (1980)
- Army Hospital (1982), Surgery Urological
- Army Hospital (1986), Surgery Urological
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Surgery Urological
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Surgery Urological
- Aquablation BPH Treatment
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy
- Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS) in men
- Outcomes Research
- Prostate Cancer
- PSA Elevation
- Tumor markers
- Urolift BPH Treatment
- Urological Ultrasound
- Voiding Dysfunction in Men
- The role of novel minimally invasive treatments for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (LUTS/BPH).
- Madersbacher S, Roehrborn CG, Oelke M, BJU Int. 2020 Jun
- Three-year outcomes after Aquablation therapy compared to TURP: results from a blinded randomized trial.
- Gilling P, Barber N, Bidair M, Anderson P, Sutton M, Aho T, Kramolowsky E, Thomas A, Cowan B, Kaufman RP, Trainer A, Arther A, Badlani G, Plante M, Desai M, Doumanian L, Te AE, DeGuenther M, Roehrborn C, Can J Urol 2020 Feb 27 1 10072-10079
- WATER vs WATER II: Comparing Aquablation Therapy for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in 30cc-80cc and 80cc-150cc Prostates.
- Nguyen DD, Barber N, Bidair M, Gilling P, Anderson P, Zorn KC, Badlani G, Humphreys M, Kaplan S, Kaufman R, So A, Paterson R, Goldenberg L, Elterman D, Desai M, Lingeman J, Roehrborn C, Bhojani N, BJU Int. 2019 Oct
- Aquablation of the prostate: a review and update.
- Roehrborn CG, Teplitsky S, Das AK, Can J Urol 2019 Aug 26 4S1 20-24
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging-guided In-bore and Magnetic Resonance Imaging-transrectal Ultrasound Fusion Targeted Prostate Biopsies: An Adjusted Comparison of Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer Detection Rate.
- Costa DN, Goldberg K, Leon AD, Lotan Y, Xi Y, Aziz M, Freifeld Y, Margulis V, Raj G, Roehrborn CG, Hornberger B, Desai N, Bagrodia A, Francis F, Pedrosa I, Cadeddu JA, Eur Urol Oncol 2019 Jul 2 4 397-404
- Rezum Water Vapor Thermal Therapy for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Associated With Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: 4-Year Results From Randomized Controlled Study.
- McVary KT, Rogers T, Roehrborn CG Urology 2019 Jan
- Determining the Learning Curve for Robotic-assisted Simple Prostatectomy for Experienced Robotic Surgeons.
- Johnson BA, Sorokin I, Singla N, Roehrborn C, Gahan JC J. Endourol. 2018 Jul
- Surgical Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Attributed to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: AUA Guideline.
- Foster HE, Barry MJ, Dahm P, Gandhi MC, Kaplan SA, Kohler TS, Lerner LB, Lightner DJ, Parsons JK, Roehrborn CG, Welliver C, Wilt TJ, McVary KT J. Urol. 2018 May
- Three-Year Outcomes of the Prospective, Randomized Controlled Rezum System Study: Convective Radiofrequency Thermal Therapy for Treatment of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
- McVary KT, Roehrborn CG Urology 2017 Nov
- A prospective randomised placebo-controlled study of the impact of dutasteride/tamsulosin combination therapy on sexual function domains in sexually active men with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Roehrborn CG, Manyak MJ, Palacios-Moreno JM, Wilson TH, Roos EP, Santos JC, Karanastasis D, Plastino J, Giuliano F, Rosen RC BJU Int. 2017 Oct
Honors & Awards
- Eugene Fuller Triennial Prostate Award
Awarded by the American Urological Association (AUA) (2022)
- D Magazine Best Doctor
- Dallas Best Doctor 2004 - 2022
Selected by peers in 2004 - 2022 (2004)
- Texas Super Doctor 2004 - 2020
Selected by peers in the state of Texas (2004)
- Patricia and William L. Watson, Jr., M.D.
Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine at UTSW (2002)
- SIU Guest Lecture
Invited Guest Lecturer at the German Urological Meeting (2002)
- Special Recognition AUA Guidelines
For extraordinary contributions to the AUA Guidelines Effort (1997)
- Invited Visiting Professor and Lecturer
Multiple Urological Organizations in over 30 countries (0)
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons (AAGUS) (2017)
- American Medical Association
- American Urological Association (AUA)
- European Association of Urology (EAU)
- Societe Internationale Urologique (SIU)
- South Central Section of the American Urological Association (SCS AUA)