Claus G. Roehrborn, MD, was born and raised in West Germany. After attending Medical School in Giessen, Germany, he began his residency in surgery and urology at the German Army Hospital in Giessen. In 1984 he came to Dallas, Texas, and continued his urology residency at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
After finishing his residency in 1989 he won an AFUD Scholarship and worked for two years with Dr. Jean Wilson in the field of androgen regulation of prostate development and growth.
In 1992 he joined the urology faculty at UT Southwestern, where he currently is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Urology. Dr Roehrborn’s practice focuses on the treatment of prostate cancer and BPH. He has performed over 2,500 daVinci robotic prostatectomies for prostate cancer, and about 1,000 KTP laser prostate surgeries, and TURP procedures for BPH.
His research interests are in the areas of benign and malignant prostate diseases, including medical and minimally invasive therapies for BPH, and markers for prostate cancer.
He has been instrumental in the development of minimally invasive solutions for BPH such as the REZUM steam treatment, the Urolift treatment, and now offers also the Aquablation treatment that harnesses the power of water to remove prostate tissue.
In addition, he has a background in urological ultrasound and has chaired numerous postgraduate courses and lectured on a variety of topics in ultrasound imaging of the urinary tract. His basic, translational and clinical research has yielded over 450 peer-reviewed publications, over 30 book chapters and numerous other contributions to the literature. Aside from being invited to give lectures all over the world, he has chaired or participated in many postgraduate courses and has been visiting professor at leading urological institutions in the US, Europe and Asia. Dr. Roehrborn has been the lead researcher for the 1994 AHCPR BPH Guidelines, and has been involved in the American Urological Association Guidelines efforts from their inception. He has chaired committees at the WHO-ICUD sponsored Consensus Conferences on BPH from 1994 throug 2005, and is co-chairman of the AUA BPH Guidelines Committee charged with an update of the AHCPR Guidelines from 1994. Dr. Roehrborn is on the editorial board of many peer-reviewed journals, associate editor of Urology, and co-editor of the comprehensive and authoritative Textbook of BPH. He serves as reviewer for nearly all peer-reviewed journals in the field of urology. At present, Dr. Roehrborn continues to be involved in virtually all aspects of BPH research as well as translational and clinical research in MRI imaging and fusion biopsy based diagnosis of prostate cancer and the treatment of prostate cancer.
He accepts new patients with benign and malignant prostate conditions in his office locations in Dallas, Frisco and Fort Worth, and performs about 500 surgical procedures per year in the Clements University Hospital on the UTSW Main Campus.
- Medical School
- Justus-Liebig-University Giessen (1980)
- Army Hospital (1982), Surgery Urological
- Army Hospital (1986), Surgery Urological
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Surgery Urological
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Surgery Urological
- Aquablation BPH Treatment
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy
- Outcomes research
- Prostate cancer
- Tumor markers
- Urolift BPH Treatment
- Urological Ultrasound
- The role of novel minimally invasive treatments for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (LUTS/BPH).
- Madersbacher S, Roehrborn CG, Oelke M, BJU Int. 2020 Jun
- Three-year outcomes after Aquablation therapy compared to TURP: results from a blinded randomized trial.
- Gilling P, Barber N, Bidair M, Anderson P, Sutton M, Aho T, Kramolowsky E, Thomas A, Cowan B, Kaufman RP, Trainer A, Arther A, Badlani G, Plante M, Desai M, Doumanian L, Te AE, DeGuenther M, Roehrborn C, Can J Urol 2020 Feb 27 1 10072-10079
- WATER vs WATER II: Comparing Aquablation Therapy for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in 30cc-80cc and 80cc-150cc Prostates.
- Nguyen DD, Barber N, Bidair M, Gilling P, Anderson P, Zorn KC, Badlani G, Humphreys M, Kaplan S, Kaufman R, So A, Paterson R, Goldenberg L, Elterman D, Desai M, Lingeman J, Roehrborn C, Bhojani N, BJU Int. 2019 Oct
- Aquablation of the prostate: a review and update.
- Roehrborn CG, Teplitsky S, Das AK, Can J Urol 2019 Aug 26 4S1 20-24
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging-guided In-bore and Magnetic Resonance Imaging-transrectal Ultrasound Fusion Targeted Prostate Biopsies: An Adjusted Comparison of Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer Detection Rate.
- Costa DN, Goldberg K, Leon AD, Lotan Y, Xi Y, Aziz M, Freifeld Y, Margulis V, Raj G, Roehrborn CG, Hornberger B, Desai N, Bagrodia A, Francis F, Pedrosa I, Cadeddu JA, Eur Urol Oncol 2019 Jul 2 4 397-404
- Rezum Water Vapor Thermal Therapy for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Associated With Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: 4-Year Results From Randomized Controlled Study.
- McVary KT, Rogers T, Roehrborn CG Urology 2019 Jan
- Determining the Learning Curve for Robotic-assisted Simple Prostatectomy for Experienced Robotic Surgeons.
- Johnson BA, Sorokin I, Singla N, Roehrborn C, Gahan JC J. Endourol. 2018 Jul
- Surgical Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Attributed to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: AUA Guideline.
- Foster HE, Barry MJ, Dahm P, Gandhi MC, Kaplan SA, Kohler TS, Lerner LB, Lightner DJ, Parsons JK, Roehrborn CG, Welliver C, Wilt TJ, McVary KT J. Urol. 2018 May
- Three-Year Outcomes of the Prospective, Randomized Controlled Rezum System Study: Convective Radiofrequency Thermal Therapy for Treatment of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
- McVary KT, Roehrborn CG Urology 2017 Nov
- A prospective randomised placebo-controlled study of the impact of dutasteride/tamsulosin combination therapy on sexual function domains in sexually active men with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Roehrborn CG, Manyak MJ, Palacios-Moreno JM, Wilson TH, Roos EP, Santos JC, Karanastasis D, Plastino J, Giuliano F, Rosen RC BJU Int. 2017 Oct
Honors & Awards
- Dallas Best Doctor 2004 - 2013
Selected by peers in 2004 - 2013 (2004)
- Texas Super Doctor 2004 - 2013
Selected by peers in the state of Texas (2004)
- SIU Guest Lecture
Invited Guest Lecturer at the German Urological Meeting to give the SIU Guest Lecture (2002)
- Special Recognition AUA Guidelines
For extraordinary contributions to the AUA Guidelines Effort (1997)
- Invited Visiting Professor and Lecturer
Multiple Urological Organizations in over 30 countries (0)
- American Medical Association
- American Urological Association (AUA)
- European Association of Urology (EAU)
- Societe Internationale Urologique (SIU)
- South Central Section of the American Urological Association (SCS AUA)