Vincent (Vinnie) Tagliabracci is an Associate Professor in the Department of Molecular Biology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He received his B.S. in Chemistry and Biology from the University of Indianapolis and his Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Indiana University under the supervision of Dr. Peter Roach, where he made several important contributions to understanding how elevated levels of glycogen phosphate cause Lafora Disease, a deadly form of epilepsy. In 2010, Vinnie joined the laboratory of Dr. Jack Dixon as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, San Diego in La Jolla, CA. There, he discovered a novel family of “secreted” kinases that phosphorylate proteins destined for secretion from the cell. As part of this work, he identified Fam20C as the bona fide "Golgi casein kinase", an enzyme that escaped identification for many years. In 2015, he joined the faculty at UT Southwestern as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Biology. Vinnie is the recipient of the Esther L. Kinsley dissertation award from Indiana University School of Medicine, a K99/R00 Pathway to Independence award from the National Institutes of Health, a Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) recruitment of first-time, tenure-track faculty member award and is an Endowed Scholar in biomedical research. In 2021 he was named an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI).
- University of Indianapolis (2005), Chemistry
- University of Indianapolis (2005), Biology
- Graduate School
- Indiana Univ Purdue Univ Sch M (2010), Molecular Biology
- Graduate School
- Indiana Univ Purdue Univ Sch M (2010), Biochemistry
- Cancer Biology
- Host-Pathogen Interactions
- Kinases in the Secretory Pathway and Extracellular Space
- Signal Transduction
- The mechanism of RNA capping by SARS-CoV-2.
- Park GJ, Osinski A, Hernandez G, Eitson JL, Majumdar A, Tonelli M, Henzler-Wildman K, Pawlowski K, Chen Z, Li Y, Schoggins JW, Tagliabracci VS, Nature 2022 Aug
- Structural and mechanistic basis for protein glutamylation by the kinase fold.
- Osinski A, Black MH, Pawlowski K, Chen Z, Li Y, Tagliabracci VS, Mol Cell 2021 Aug
- Dynamic remodeling of host membranes by self-organizing bacterial effectors.
- Hsieh TS, Lopez VA, Black MH, Osinski A, Pawlowski K, Tomchick DR, Liou J, Tagliabracci VS, Science 2021 Apr
- A Legionella effector ADP-ribosyltransferase inactivates glutamate dehydrogenase.
- Black MH, Osinski A, Park GJ, Gradowski M, Servage KA, Pawlowski K, Tagliabracci VS, J Biol Chem 2021 Jan 100301
- A Legionella effector kinase is activated by host inositol hexakisphosphate.
- Sreelatha A, Nolan C, Park BC, Pawlowski K, Tomchick DR, Tagliabracci VS, J. Biol. Chem. 2020 Mar
- A Bacterial Effector Mimics a Host HSP90 Client to Undermine Immunity.
- Lopez VA, Park BC, Nowak D, Sreelatha A, Zembek P, Fernandez J, Servage KA, Gradowski M, Hennig J, Tomchick DR, Pawlowski K, Krzymowska M, Tagliabracci VS, Cell 2019 Sep
- Bacterial pseudokinase catalyzes protein polyglutamylation to inhibit the SidE-family ubiquitin ligases.
- Black MH, Osinski A, Gradowski M, Servage KA, Pawlowski K, Tomchick DR, Tagliabracci VS, Science 2019 May 364 6442 787-792
- Protein AMPylation by an Evolutionarily Conserved Pseudokinase.
- Sreelatha A, Yee SS, Lopez VA, Park BC, Kinch LN, Pilch S, Servage KA, Zhang J, Jiou J, Karasiewicz-Urbanska M, Lobocka M, Grishin NV, Orth K, Kucharczyk R, Pawlowski K, Tomchick DR, Tagliabracci VS Cell 2018 Oct 175 3 809-821.e19
- Phosphorylation of spore coat proteins by a family of atypical protein kinases.
- Nguyen KB, Sreelatha A, Durrant ES, Lopez-Garrido J, Muszewska A, Dudkiewicz M, Grynberg M, Yee S, Pogliano K, Tomchick DR, Pawlowski K, Dixon JE, Tagliabracci VS Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2016 May
- A Single Kinase Generates the Majority of the Secreted Phosphoproteome.
- Tagliabracci VS, Wiley SE, Guo X, Kinch LN, Durrant E, Wen J, Xiao J, Cui J, Nguyen KB, Engel JL, Coon JJ, Grishin N, Pinna LA, Pagliarini DJ, Dixon JE Cell 2015 Jun 161 7 1619-32
Honors & Awards
- Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- W. M. Keck Foundation Medical Research Grant
- Norman Hackerman Award in Chemical Research (The Welch Foundation)
- NIH Director's New Innovator Award (DP2)
- Searle Scholar
- ASBMB Herb Tabor Junior Investigator Award
- ASMB Junior Investigator Award
- Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) Scholar
- UT Southwestern Endowed Scholar
- K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award
- Esther L. Kinsley PhD Dissertation Award