Ghazala Perven, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She serves as the Program Director of the Epilepsy fellowship and Associate Program Director of the Clinical Neurophysiology fellowship. She also directs the Neurology sub internship program for medical students.
Dr. Perven earned her medical degree at Dow Medical College in Pakistan, followed by an internship in the Department of Neurology at Civil Hospital in Karachi, Pakistan. She then performed a residency in neurology at the University of Toledo in Ohio, where she served as Chief Resident, followed by a two-year fellowship in clinical neurophysiology/epilepsy at the Cleveland Clinic.
Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy Dr. Ghazala Perven joined UT Southwestern faculty in 2015.
Before joining the UT Southwestern epilepsy team, Dr. Perven served as a staff physician and clinical instructor in the Department of Neurology at the University of Toledo. She has also served as a clinical instructor at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
She has lectured on aspects of her field that include antiepileptic drugs, seizure semiology and trends in epilepsy care. She is the lead investigator or co-author of research publications on topics including the role of epileptic auras in refractory epilepsy.
Dr. Perven received Excellence in Teaching awards from both the University of Toledo and the Cleveland Clinic Educational Foundation.
Besides teaching residents and fellows, she organizes and directs UT Southwestern Annual Epilepsy Symposium for local and regional neurology community.
- Medical School
- Dow Medical College, Pakistan (2004)
- The University of Toledo (2012), Neurology
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2014), Clinical Neurophysiology
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2015), Epilepsy
- Epilepsy- comorbids
- Epilepsy- semiology
- Epilepsy- surgical intervention and outcomes
- Comparison of psychiatric comorbidities and impact on quality of life in patients with epilepsy or psychogenic nonepileptic spells.
- Abe C, Denney D, Doyle A, Cullum M, Adams J, Perven G, Dave H, Dieppa M, Hays R, Agostini M, Ding K, Epilepsy Behav 2019 Nov 102 106649
- Epileptic auras: phenomenology and neurophysiology.
- Perven G, So NK Epileptic Disord 2015 Dec 17 4 349-62
- The relevance of somatosensory auras in refractory temporal lobe epilepsies.
- Perven G, Yardi R, Bulacio J, Najm I, Bingaman W, Gonzalez-Martinez J, Jehi L Epilepsia 2015 Aug
- A rare case of intramedullary 'whorling-sclerosing' variant meningioma.
- Perven G, Entezami P, Gaudin D Springerplus 2015 4 318
- Critical evaluation of the claims made by pharmaceutical companies in drug promotional material in Pakistan.
- Rohra DK, Gilani AH, Memon IK, Perven G, Khan MT, Zafar H, Kumar R J Pharm Pharm Sci 2006 9 1 50-9
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Teaching Award
Cleveland Clinic Foundation (2015)
- Excellence in Teaching Award
University of Toledo (2012)
- Chief Resident
University of Toledo (2011)
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (2019)
- American Epilepsy Society (2016)
- Epilepsy Foundation- Dallas/Fort Worth (2016)
- American Academy of Neurology (2010)