Dr. Altamirano is originally from Chile and received his Ph.D. degree in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Chile. Dr. Altamirano has extensive experience studying the molecular mechanisms that drive striated muscle pathology. In 2015, Dr. Altamirano decided to join UT Southwestern to study the role of Polycystin-1 in cardiovascular disease. His research focuses on understanding how mutations in the gene PKD1, encoding for Polycystin-1 and mutated in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD), affect cardiac function. Recently, Dr. Altamirano received a Career Development Award from the American Heart Association to continue his independent research aiming to uncover the role of Polycystin-1 in cardiovascular function and electrical remodeling.
- Cardiovascular Alterations in Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD)
- Molecular Mechanisms Driving Heart Failure
- Role of Polycystin-1 in Cardiac Cells
- Polycystin-1 Assembles with Kv Channels to Govern Cardiomyocyte Repolarization and Contractility.
- Altamirano F, Schiattarella GG, French KM, Kim SY, Engelberger F, Kyrychenko S, Villalobos E, Tong D, Schneider JW, Ramirez-Sarmiento CA, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Circulation 2019 Jun
- Nitrosative stress drives heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
- Schiattarella GG, Altamirano F, Tong D, French KM, Villalobos E, Kim SY, Luo X, Jiang N, May HI, Wang ZV, Hill TM, Mammen PPA, Huang J, Lee DI, Hahn VS, Sharma K, Kass DA, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA, Nature 2019 Apr 568 7752 351-356
- Fibroblast Primary Cilia are Required for Cardiac Fibrosis.
- Villalobos E, Criollo A, Schiattarella GG, Altamirano F, French KM, May HI, Jiang N, Nguyen NUN, Romero D, Roa JC, García L, Diaz-Araya G, Morselli E, Ferdous A, Conway SJ, Sadek HA, Gillette TG, Lavandero S, Hill JA, Circulation 2019 Mar
- Is malignant hyperthermia associated with hyperglycaemia?
- Altamirano F, Riazi S, Ibarra Moreno CA, Kraeva N, Uryash A, Allen PD, Adams JA, Lopez JR, Br J Anaesth 2019 Jan 122 1 e3-e5
- Polycystin-2-dependent control of cardiomyocyte autophagy.
- Criollo A, Altamirano F, Pedrozo Z, Schiattarella GG, Li DL, Rivera-Mejías P, Sotomayor-Flores C, Parra V, Villalobos E, Battiprolu PK, Jiang N, May HI, Morselli E, Somlo S, de Smedt H, Gillette TG, Lavandero S, Hill JA J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 2018 Mar 118 110-121
- Down Syndrome Critical Region 1 Gene, Rcan1, Helps Maintain a More Fused Mitochondrial Network.
- Parra VM, Altamirano F, Hernández-Fuentes CP, Tong D, Kyrychenko V, Rotter D, Pedrozo ZR, Hill JA, Eisner V, Lavandero S, Schneider JW, Rothermel BA Circ. Res. 2018 Jan
- Dysregulation of Intracellular Ca2+ in Dystrophic Cortical and Hippocampal Neurons.
- Lopez JR, Kolster J, Uryash A, Estève E, Altamirano F, Adams JA, Mol. Neurobiol. 2018 01 55 1 603-618
- Whole Body Periodic Acceleration Improves Muscle Recovery after Eccentric Exercise.
- López JR, Mijares A, Kolster J, Henriquez-Olguin C, Zhang R, Altamirano F, Adams JA Med Sci Sports Exerc 2016 Mar
- Chronic heart failure: Ca(2+), catabolism, and catastrophic cell death.
- Cho GW, Altamirano F, Hill JA Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2016 Jan
Honors & Awards
- Career Development Award
American Heart Association (2019-2022)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
American Heart Association (2016-2018)
- American Physiological Society (2017)
- American Heart Association (2015)