W Steves Ring, M.D.
Department Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Dr. Ring earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1971 and received his surgical training at Duke University Medical Center and the University of Minnesota. He completed a surgical research fellowship and his cardiovascular and thoracic surgery residency also at the University of Minnesota. He came to UTSW in 1987 as chair of the Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, to direct the thoracic and cardiovascular surgery residency program, and to develop the UTSW Heart Transplant PRograms at St. Paul and Children’s Medical Center. The program was later expanded to include lung transplantation at St. Paul. Dr. Ring’s primary interests include heart and lung transplantaiton, congenital heart surgery, valve repair, and high-risk coronary revascularization.
- Medical School
- Harvard Medical School (1971)
- Duke University Hospital (1972), General Surgery
- Duke University Hospital (1973), General Surgery
- Duke University Hospital (1977), Thoracic Surgery
- University of Minnesota Hosp & Clin (1979), Cardiovascular Surgery
- University of Minnesota Hosp & Clin (1980), Surgery
- University of Minnesota Hosp & Clin (1982), Cardiovascular Surgery
- Thoracic organ transplantation in the United States, 1944-2003
- Barr ML, Bourge RC, Orens JB, Ring WS, et al Am J Transplantation 2005 5 (4 pt 2) 934-949
- Health insurance and cardiac transplantation: a call for reform
- King LP, Siminoff, LA, Meyer DM, Ring, WS, et al J Am Coll Cardiol 2005 45 (9) 1388-1391
- Induction therapy with basiliximab allows delayed initiation of cyclosporine and preserves renal function after cardiac transplantation
- Rosenberg PB, Vriesendorp AE, Drazner MH, Ring WS, et al. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005 24 (9) 1327-1331
- Consensus conference report: maximizing use of organs recovered from the cadaver donor: cardiac recommendations
- Zaroff JG, Rosengard BF, Armstrong WF, Ring WS, et al Circulation 2002 106(7) 836-841
- Congenital heart surgery nomenclature and database project: aortic aneurysm, sinus of Valsalva aneurysm, and aortic dissection
- Ring, WS Ann Thoracic Surg 2000 69 (4 suppl) S147-S163
- Antibodies against human donor leukocyte antigens and the outcome of cardiac allografts in adults and children.
- Stastny P, Lavigia B, Fixler DE, Yancy Jr CW, Ring WS Transplantation 2007 84(6) in press
- Cavopulmonary Shunts and Hemi-Fontan Operation
- Ring, WS Chapter in: Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2nd Ed 2006 Lippincott 916-924
- Graft-vs-host disease as a complication of lung transplantation
- Smith DM, Agura ED, Ausloos KA, Ring WS, Domiati-Saad R, Klintmalm GB J Heart and Lung Transplantation 2006 25(9) 1175-1177
- Pediatric Transplant Study Group (PHTS): Hyperlipidemia in children after heart transplantation.
- Singh TP, Naftel DC, Webber S, Dupuis J, Chin C, Spicer R, Schowengerdt, Jr. KO, Ring WS, Morrow WR. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2006 25(10) 1199-1205
- Effects of early steroid withdrawal after heart transplantation.
- Rosenbaum DH, Adams BC, Mitchell JD, Jessen ME, Paul MC, Kaiser PA, Pappas PA, Meyer DM, Wait MA, Drazner MH, Yancy Jr. CW, Ring WS, DiMaio JM. Ann Thorc Surg 2006 82(2) 637-44
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern President’s Lecture Series Presenter
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2007)
- Kent Trinkle Education Lectureship
Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (2002)
- Gladys Faschena Award in Pediatric Cardiology
American Heart Association, Dallas Affiliate (1990)
- William D. Seybold Lectureship in Surgery
UT Southwestern Medical Center (1988)
- NIH National Research Service Award
National Institute of Health (1978)
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery