Dr. Ali was born in Pakistan, spent his formative years in Jersey City, New Jersey, and he attended college at Rutgers. He switched coasts to attend medical school at Stanford, where he worked in the lab of Dr. Irv Weissman and explored the Bay Area terrain on bicycle. He completed a fast-track residency in Internal Medicine at UCSF in 2015 and came to UTSW for cardiology fellowship, motivated largely by his interest in heart renewal. Dr. Ali is now a faculty member who works in the lab of Dr. Hesham Sadek investigating mouse models of cardiac regeneration. In his spare time, he enjoys baking (desserts) and biking (off the calories).
- Cardiac Regeneration
- Homotypic Fusion Generates Multinucleated Cardiomyocytes in the Murine Heart.
- Ali SR, Menendez-Montes I, Warshaw J, Xiao F, Sadek HA, Circulation 2020 Jun 141 23 1940-1942
- Deep Learning Identifies Cardiomyocyte Nuclei With High Precision.
- Ali SR, Nguyen D, Wang B, Jiang S, Sadek HA, Circ. Res. 2020 Jun
- Developmental heterogeneity of cardiac fibroblasts does not predict pathological proliferation and activation.
- Ali SR, Ranjbarvaziri S, Talkhabi M, Zhao P, Subat A, Hojjat A, Kamran P, Müller AM, Volz KS, Tang Z, Red-Horse K, Ardehali R, Circ. Res. 2014 Sep 115 7 625-35
- Existing cardiomyocytes generate cardiomyocytes at a low rate after birth in mice.
- Ali SR, Hippenmeyer S, Saadat LV, Luo L, Weissman IL, Ardehali R, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Jun 111 24 8850-5
- Prospective isolation of human embryonic stem cell-derived cardiovascular progenitors that integrate into human fetal heart tissue.
- Ardehali R, Ali SR, Inlay MA, Abilez OJ, Chen MQ, Blauwkamp TA, Yazawa M, Gong Y, Nusse R, Drukker M, Weissman IL, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Feb 110 9 3405-10
- Interference of ascorbic acid in the sensitive detection of dopamine by a nonoxidative sensing approach.
- Ali SR, Parajuli RR, Ma Y, Balogun Y, He H, J Phys Chem B 2007 Oct 111 42 12275-81
- A nonoxidative sensor based on a self-doped polyaniline/carbon nanotube composite for sensitive and selective detection of the neurotransmitter dopamine.
- Ali SR, Ma Y, Parajuli RR, Balogun Y, Lai WY, He H, Anal. Chem. 2007 Mar 79 6 2583-7
- In situ fabrication of a water-soluble, self-doped polyaniline nanocomposite: the unique role of DNA functionalized single-walled carbon nanotubes.
- Ma Y, Ali SR, Wang L, Chiu PL, Mendelsohn R, He H, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006 Sep 128 37 12064-5
- Enhanced sensitivity for biosensors: multiple functions of DNA-wrapped single-walled carbon nanotubes in self-doped polyaniline nanocomposites.
- Ma Y, Ali SR, Dodoo AS, He H, J Phys Chem B 2006 Aug 110 33 16359-65
Chapter 3: Cellular Basis for Myocardial Regeneration and Repair. In Heart Failure: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease, 4th Ed.
Ali SR, Lam NT, Sadek HA (2019). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
- American Heart Association (2019)