Nimesh Patel, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Nimesh Patel, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Cardiology. His clinical interests include ablation for complex arrhythmias, minimizing the use of fluoroscopy, and physiologic pacing.
Dr. Patel earned his medical degree at the Boston University School of Medicine. He completed a residency in internal medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles Medical Center and then received advanced training in cardiovascular disease and clinical cardiac electrophysiology through fellowships at UT Southwestern.
Board-certified in internal medicine, cardiovascular disease, and clinical cardiac electrophysiology, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
Dr. Patel’s research into atrial arrhythmias in lung transplant recipients and physiologic cardiac pacing has led to publications in several peer-reviewed journals and contributions to book chapters.
At UT Southwestern, he teaches arrhythmia management, pacemaker basics, ablation techniques and other topics, and leads electrophysiology journal clubs and fellows' case conferences.
He is a member of the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, and the Heart Rhythm Society.
- Medical School
- Boston University School of Medicine (2011)
- UCLA School of Medicine (2012), Internal Medicine
- UCLA School of Medicine (2014), Internal Medicine
- Chief Resident
- UCLA School of Medicine (2015), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Cardiovascular Disease
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020), Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Atrial Arrhythmias in Lung Transplant Recipients
- Physiologic Cardiac Pacing
- Preexcited Atrial Fibrillation after a Blood Draw.
- McNamara DA, Patel N, N. Engl. J. Med. 2020 Mar 382 13 e22
- Clinical Implications of Serum Biomarkers of Cardiac Stress in Aortic Stenosis.
- Patel N, Kumbhani DJ Curr Heart Fail Rep 2018 Jul
- Cerebellar stroke presenting with isolated dizziness: Brain MRI in 136 patients.
- Perloff MD, Patel NS, Kase CS, Oza AU, Voetsch B, Romero JR, Am J Emerg Med 2017 Nov 35 11 1724-1729
Diagnosis and Treatment of Unstable Supraventricular Trachycardia. In Cardiac Intensive Care, 3rd ed.
Patel N, Link MS (2019). Philadelphia, PA, Elsevier
Ablation therapy and implantable device based approaches for supraventricular arrhythmias. In Emerging Technologies for Heart Diseases
Patel N, Links MS (2020). London, UK, Academic Press
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Resident Teacher
University of California, Los Angeles (2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2011)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Honor Society (2007)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)
- American Heart Association (2015)
- Heart Rhythm Society (2017)