A. Paige Davis Volk graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelor’s Degree in Biochemistry and Chemistry from Cornell College. She obtained her M.D. from The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine in 2000. Dr. Volk remained at The University of Iowa for her residency training in Pediatrics and her fellowship training in Pediatric Critical Care. She was recruited to join the faculty of The University of Iowa upon completion of her postgraduate training in 2006. Dr. Volk was appointed Assistant Professor in 2008 and served as Physician Leader for UIHC Schwartz Center Rounds from 2011 to 2015. She was Chief Pediatric Advisor to the Hospital Incident Commander for Disaster Management from 2010 to 2015 and Director of the Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship Program from 2014 to 2015. Dr. Volk was recruited to join the faculty at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 2015 and was promoted to Associate Professor. She is currently the Medical Director for the Children’s Medical Center PICU at the Plano campus. Dr. Volk also serves as the Medical Director for CMC Plano Respiratory Care Services and Physician Leader for CMC Plano Schwartz Center Rounds. In June 2016, Dr. Volk joined the Children’s Medical Center Plano Medical Executive Committee as Service Chief of Intensive Care and Inpatient Services. She is honored to care for the children of Texas.
- Medical School
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine (2000)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2003), Pediatrics
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2006), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Cell volume regulation
- NADPH oxidase and the reactive oxygen species signaling
- Neutrophil chemotaxis
- Correction: Interferon Regulatory Factor 6 Has a Protective Role in the Host Response to Endotoxic Shock.
- Joly S, Rhea L, Volk P, Moreland JG, Dunnwald M PLoS ONE 2017 12 1 e0171459
- Nlrp12 mutation causes C57BL/6J strain-specific defect in neutrophil recruitment.
- Ulland TK, Jain N, Hornick EE, Elliott EI, Clay GM, Sadler JJ, Mills KA, Janowski AM, Volk AP, Wang K, Legge KL, Gakhar L, Bourdi M, Ferguson PJ, Wilson ME, Cassel SL, Sutterwala FS Nat Commun 2016 Oct 7 13180
- ROS-containing endosomal compartments: implications for signaling.
- Davis Volk AP, Moreland JG Meth. Enzymol. 2014 535 201-24
- Endotoxin priming of neutrophils requires endocytosis and NADPH oxidase-dependent endosomal reactive oxygen species.
- Lamb FS, Hook JS, Hilkin BM, Huber JN, Volk AP, Moreland JG J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Apr 287 15 12395-404
- Priming of neutrophils and differentiated PLB-985 cells by pathophysiological concentrations of TNF-a is partially oxygen dependent.
- Volk AP, Barber BM, Goss KL, Ruff JG, Heise CK, Hook JS, Moreland JG J Innate Immun 2011 3 3 298-314
- ClC-3 and IClswell are required for normal neutrophil chemotaxis and shape change.
- Volk AP, Heise CK, Hougen JL, Artman CM, Volk KA, Wessels D, Soll DR, Nauseef WM, Lamb FS, Moreland JG J. Biol. Chem. 2008 Dec 283 49 34315-26
- Endotoxin priming of neutrophils requires NADPH oxidase-generated oxidants and is regulated by the anion transporter ClC-3.
- Moreland JG, Davis AP, Matsuda JJ, Hook JS, Bailey G, Nauseef WM, Lamb FS J. Biol. Chem. 2007 Nov 282 47 33958-67
- The antibacterial activity of human neutrophils and eosinophils requires proton channels but not BK channels.
- Femling JK, Cherny VV, Morgan D, Rada B, Davis AP, Czirják G, Enyedi P, England SK, Moreland JG, Ligeti E, Nauseef WM, DeCoursey TE J. Gen. Physiol. 2006 Jun 127 6 659-72
- Anion channels, including ClC-3, are required for normal neutrophil oxidative function, phagocytosis, and transendothelial migration.
- Moreland JG, Davis AP, Bailey G, Nauseef WM, Lamb FS J. Biol. Chem. 2006 May 281 18 12277-88
Honors & Awards
- Election to Society for Pediatric Research
- Above and Beyond Award
University of Iowa Healthcare (2003)
- PEO Scholarship for International Study
University of Iowa Healthcare (1998)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, IA (1996)
- Mortar Board National Honor Society
Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, IA (1995-1996)
- University of Iowa Inflammation and Immune Diseases Center (2012)
- Midwest Society for Pediatric Research (2009)
- Pediatric Academic Society (2008)
- Society for Leukocyte Biology (2004)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2003)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2000)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society (1996)
- Mortar Board National Honor Society (1995-1996)