Stanislaw Deja obtained his B.Eng and M.Sc. degrees from the Wroclaw University of Technology. He completed a joint doctoral program carried by Opole University and Wroclaw University of Technology in Poland (2010-2014) and postdoctoral fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014-2017). During his doctorate, he led the development of one the first NMR based metabolomics platforms in Poland and successfully implemented it for human studies. Following graduation, he moved to US and completed a Robert A. Welch foundation postdoctoral fellowship in the Advanced Imaging Research Center at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where he worked on development and validation of combined NMR and MS approaches for metabolic flux quantification. In particular he specializes in use of stable isotope labeled metabolites for metabolic tracing experiments in vivo and ex vivo and mathematical modeling of metabolic networks.
- Graduate School
- (2014), Chemistry
- Energetic regulation of liver metabolism
- In Vivo and Ex Vivo utilization of stable isotope tracers
- Metabolic Flux Analysis (MFA)
- NMR and MS metabolomics
- In Vivo Estimation of Ketogenesis Using Metabolic Flux Analysis-Technical Aspects and Model Interpretation.
- Deja S, Kucejova B, Fu X, Browning JD, Young JD, Burgess S, Metabolites 2021 Apr 11 5
- Simultaneous tracers and a unified model of positional and mass isotopomers for quantification of metabolic flux in liver.
- Deja S, Fu X, Fletcher JA, Kucejova B, Browning JD, Young JD, Burgess SC, Metab. Eng. 2019 Dec
- Targeted Determination of Tissue Energy Status by LC-MS/MS.
- Fu X, Deja S, Kucejova B, Duarte JAG, McDonald JG, Burgess SC, Anal. Chem. 2019 Apr
- Pyruvate-Carboxylase-Mediated Anaplerosis Promotes Antioxidant Capacity by Sustaining TCA Cycle and Redox Metabolism in Liver.
- Cappel DA, Deja S, Duarte JAG, Kucejova B, Iñigo M, Fletcher JA, Fu X, Berglund ED, Liu T, Elmquist JK, Hammer S, Mishra P, Browning JD, Burgess SC, Cell Metab. 2019 Apr
- Impaired ketogenesis and increased acetyl-CoA oxidation promote hyperglycemia in human fatty liver.
- Fletcher JA, Deja S, Satapati S, Fu X, Burgess SC, Browning JD, JCI Insight 2019 Apr 5
- The NQO1 bioactivatable drug, ?-lapachone, alters the redox state of NQO1+ pancreatic cancer cells, causing perturbation in central carbon metabolism.
- Silvers MA, Deja S, Singh N, Egnatchik RA, Sudderth J, Luo X, Beg MS, Burgess SC, DeBerardinis RJ, Boothman DA, Merritt ME J. Biol. Chem. 2017 11 292 44 18203-18216
- LC-QTOF-MS and 1H NMR Metabolomics Verifies Potential Use of Greater Omentum for Klebsiella pneumoniae Biofilm Eradication in Rats.
- Teul J, Deja S, Celinska-Janowicz K, Zabek A, Mlynarz P, Barc P, Junka A, Smutnicka D, Bartoszewicz M, Palka J, Miltyk W, Pathogens 2020 May 9 5
- Cytosolic Phosphoenolpyruvate Carboxykinase as a Cataplerotic Pathway in the Small Intestine.
- Potts A, Uchida A, Deja S, Berglund ED, Kucejova B, Duarte JAG, Fu X, Browning JD, Magnuson MA, Burgess SC Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2018 Apr
- Serum and urine 1H NMR-based metabolomics in the diagnosis of selected thyroid diseases.
- Wojtowicz W, Zabek A, Deja S, Dawiskiba T, Pawelka D, Glod M, Balcerzak W, Mlynarz P Sci Rep 2017 Aug 7 1 9108
- Acetyl CoA Carboxylase Inhibition Reduces Hepatic Steatosis but Elevates Plasma Triglycerides in Mice and Humans: A Bedside to Bench Investigation.
- Kim CW, Addy C, Kusunoki J, Anderson NN, Deja S, Fu X, Burgess SC, Li C, Ruddy M, Chakravarthy M, Previs S, Milstein S, Fitzgerald K, Kelley DE, Horton JD Cell Metab. 2017 Aug 26 2 394-406.e6
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Reviewer Award of Journal Metabolites