Dr. La Hoz received his medical degree from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH) in Lima, Peru and was the “CONTENTA” award recipient of his graduating class. He completed his Internal Medicine Residency and Infectious Diseases Fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
He currently serves as an Associate Professor of Internal Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine. Dr. La Hoz brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in transplant infectious diseases. His commitment to patient care and medical education resulted in his induction to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society and Fellowship of the American College of Physicians (FACP). His research and clinical endeavors are focused on the prevention and treatment of infectious complications in hematopoietic stem cell and solid organ transplant recipients as well as medical mycology.
His activities in the American Society of Transplantation led to his election as an Executive Committee Member of the Infectious Diseases Community of Practice and served his term from 2016 to 2018. In 2017 he became a Fellow of the American Society of Transplantation (FAST) due to his commitment to the field of transplantation and outstanding service to the society and in 2019 a Fellow of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (FIDSA). Additionally, he has been an At Large Member of the Organ Procurement Transplantation Network/United Network of Organ Sharing Ad Hoc Disease Transmission Advisory Committee since 2016 and currently serves as the Chair. In 2019 he joined the Editorial Board of the American Journal of Transplantation as an Associate Editor.
Dr. La Hoz’s interests outside of medicine include his family and friends, cooking, travelling, sailing and exploring the Dallas area.
- Medical School
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru (2005)
- University of Alabama Medical Center at Birmingham (2010), Internal Medicine
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (2013), Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Complications in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Infectious Complications in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
- Invasive Fungal Infections: Candidiasis, Cryptococcosis, Aspergillosis, Blastomycosis and Histoplasmosis
- SARS-CoV-2 Infections among Recent Organ Recipients, March-May 2020, United States.
- Jones JM, Kracalik I, Rana MM, Nguyen A, Keller BC, Mishkin A, Hoopes C, Kaleekal T, Humar A, Vilaro J, Im G, Smith L, Justice A, Leaumont C, Lindstrom S, Whitaker B, La Hoz RM, Michaels MG, Klassen D, Kuhnert W, Basavaraju SV, Emerg Infect Dis 2021 Feb 27 2 552-555
- The use of automated data extraction tools to develop a solid organ transplant registry: Proof of concept study of bloodstream infections.
- La Hoz RM, Liu T, Xie D, Adams-Huet B, Willett DL, Haley RW, Greenberg DE, J Infect 2020 Oct
- C4 article: Implications of COVID-19 in transplantation.
- Am J Transplant 2020 Oct
- COVID-19 in solid organ transplant: A multi-center cohort study.
- Kates OS, Haydel BM, Florman SS, Rana MM, Chaudhry ZS, Ramesh MS, Safa K, Kotton CN, Blumberg EA, Besharatian BD, Tanna SD, Ison MG, Malinis M, Azar MM, Rakita RM, Morillas JA, Majeed A, Sait AS, Spaggiari M, Hemmige V, Mehta SA, Neumann H, Badami A, Goldman JD, Lala A, Hemmersbach-Miller M, McCort ME, Bajrovic V, Ortiz-Bautista C, Friedman-Moraco R, Sehgal S, Lease ED, Fisher CE, Limaye AP, Clin Infect Dis 2020 Aug
- Ten years of donor derived disease: a report of the disease transmission advisory committee.
- Kaul DR, Vece G, Blumberg E, La Hoz RM, Ison MG, Green M, Pruett T, Nalesnik MA, Tlusty SM, Wilk AR, Wolfe CR, Michaels MG, Am. J. Transplant. 2020 Jul
- Coronavirus disease 2019: Implications of emerging infections for transplantation.
- Michaels MG, La Hoz RM, Danziger-Isakov L, Blumberg EA, Kumar D, Green M, Pruett TL, Wolfe CR, Am. J. Transplant. 2020 Feb
- Short-Term Outcomes of Deceased Donor Renal Transplants of HCV Uninfected Recipients from HCV Seropositive Non-viremic donors and Viremic Donors in the Era of Direct-Acting Antivirals.
- La Hoz RM, Sandikçi B, Ariyamuthu VK, Tanriover B, Am. J. Transplant. 2019 Jun
- Intestinal Parasites including Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, Giardia, & Microsporidia, Entamoeba histolytica, Strongyloides, Schistosomiasis, & Echinococcus: Guidelines from the American Society of Transplantation Infectious Diseases Community of Practice.
- La Hoz RM, Morris MI, Clin Transplant 2019 May e13618
- Tissue and blood protozoa including toxoplasmosis, Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, Babesia, Acanthamoeba, Balamuthia, and Naegleria in solid organ transplant recipients- Guidelines from the American Society of Transplantation Infectious Diseases Community of Practice.
- La Hoz RM, Morris MI, Clin Transplant 2019 Apr e13546
- Reactivation of Chagas disease among heart transplant recipients in the United States, 2012-2016.
- Gray AEB, La Hoz RM, Green JS, Vikram HR, Benedict T, Rivera H, Montgomery SP Transpl Infect Dis 2018 Sep e12996
Management and Prevention of Skin Infections. In Infectious Diseases in Solid-Organ Transplant Recipients
Barros N, La Hoz RM (2019). Berlin, Germany, Springer
Strongyloides: Emerging Challenges and Prevention. In Emerging Transplant Infections
La Hoz RM, Puing AG (2020). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Nominated for the 2020 AST Clinical Science Career Development Award
American Society of Transplantation (2020)
- Advanced to Fellow of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Transplantation
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- American Society of Transplantation
- Division of Infectious Diseases Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX (2016)
- Finalist Junior Faculty and Trainees Council Clinical Case Dilemmas in Thoracic Transplantation Best Presentation Award
The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2016)
- Master Teacher Award
Internal Medicine Residency Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine (2014)
- American College of Physicians
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine (2011)
- International Antiviral Society USA
Core Clinical Faculty (2011)
- Best Teaching Fellow Award for Excellence in Teaching
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2010-2011)
- Ben Friedman Award for Excellence in Teaching
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2008-2009)
- "CONTENTA" Award
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (2005)
- The Transplantation Society - Transplant Infectious Diseases Section (2018)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2016)
- Mycoses Study Group Education and Research Consortium (2016)
- Texas Medical Association (2016)
- Texas Transplantation Society (2016)
- The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2011)
- American Society of Transplantation (2011)
- International Antiviral Society USA (2011)
- HIV Medicine Association (2010)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010)
- American College of Physicians (2008)