Lukas Farbiak is currently an Assistant Professor in the Program for Genetic Drug Engineering at UT Southwestern Medical Center in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. He received a B.S. in neuroscience with honors from Baylor University in 2013 and subsequently completed a M.S. in medical science from UNT Health Science Center in 2014. Following this, he joined the lab of Dr. Daniel Siegwart at UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2016 and obtained a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering (2021). During his doctoral training, he developed and optimized non-viral carriers for CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing machinery, specifically focusing on the utilization of homology-directed repair to induce correction of DNA mutations in vivo. Shortly thereafter, he completed a postdoctoral fellowship (2023) in the Siegwart lab. His areas of expertise encompass the development of non-viral carriers for a variety of therapeutic genetic medicines, including mRNA, siRNA, and pDNA, and gene editing technologies such as CRISPR/Cas systems and base editors. Currently, his research is concentrated on the design and generation of novel genetic constructs and non-viral delivery vehicles for a broad range of therapeutic indications.
- Graduate School
- (2021), Biomedical Engineering
- The interplay of quaternary ammonium lipid structure and protein corona on lung-specific mRNA delivery by selective organ targeting (SORT) nanoparticles.
- Dilliard SA, Sun Y, Brown MO, Sung YC, Chatterjee S, Farbiak L, Vaidya A, Lian X, Wang X, Lemoff A, Siegwart DJ, J Control Release 2023 Sep 361 361-372
- Lipid Nanoparticle (LNP) Chemistry Can Endow Unique In Vivo RNA Delivery Fates within the Liver That Alter Therapeutic Outcomes in a Cancer Model.
- Johnson LT, Zhang D, Zhou K, Lee SM, Liu S, Dilliard SA, Farbiak L, Chatterjee S, Lin YH, Siegwart DJ, Mol Pharm 2022 Sep
- Enhancing CRISPR/Cas gene editing through modulating cellular mechanical properties for cancer therapy.
- Zhang D, Wang G, Yu X, Wei T, Farbiak L, Johnson LT, Taylor AM, Xu J, Hong Y, Zhu H, Siegwart DJ, Nat Nanotechnol 2022 May
- Optimization of phospholipid chemistry for improved lipid nanoparticle (LNP) delivery of messenger RNA (mRNA).
- Álvarez-Benedicto E, Farbiak L, Márquez Ramírez M, Wang X, Johnson LT, Mian O, Guerrero ED, Siegwart DJ, Biomater Sci 2021 Dec
- Lipid nanoparticle chemistry determines how nucleoside base modifications alter mRNA delivery.
- Melamed JR, Hajj KA, Chaudhary N, Strelkova D, Arral ML, Pardi N, Alameh MG, Miller JB, Farbiak L, Siegwart DJ, Weissman D, Whitehead KA, J Control Release 2021 Nov 341 206-214
- Hydrophobic Optimization of Functional Poly(TPAE-co-suberoyl chloride) for Extrahepatic mRNA Delivery following Intravenous Administration.
- Yu X, Liu S, Cheng Q, Lee SM, Wei T, Zhang D, Farbiak L, Johnson LT, Wang X, Siegwart DJ, Pharmaceutics 2021 Nov 13 11
- All-In-One Dendrimer-Based Lipid Nanoparticles Enable Precise HDR-Mediated Gene Editing In Vivo.
- Farbiak L, Cheng Q, Wei T, Álvarez-Benedicto E, Johnson LT, Lee S, Siegwart DJ, Adv Mater 2021 Jun e2006619
- Membrane-destabilizing ionizable phospholipids for organ-selective mRNA delivery and CRISPR-Cas gene editing.
- Liu S, Cheng Q, Wei T, Yu X, Johnson LT, Farbiak L, Siegwart DJ, Nat Mater 2021 May 20 5 701-710
- Delivery of Tissue-Targeted Scalpels: Opportunities and Challenges for In Vivo CRISPR/Cas-Based Genome Editing.
- Wei T, Cheng Q, Farbiak L, Anderson DG, Langer R, Siegwart DJ, ACS Nano 2020 08 14 8 9243-9262
- Selective organ targeting (SORT) nanoparticles for tissue-specific mRNA delivery and CRISPR-Cas gene editing.
- Cheng Q, Wei T, Farbiak L, Johnson LT, Dilliard SA, Siegwart DJ, Nat Nanotechnol 2020 04 15 4 313-320